Author Topic: Moving to a Norge?  (Read 572 times)

Offline DougG

• Gaggle Mentor
Moving to a Norge?
« on: December 06, 2022, 11:51:01 AM »
Hi All,                                                           12-06-22

As I "gracefully mature", I believe that I have less need for a 750+ lb. bike (my 2015 Cali 1400), and more desire for a 550+ lb. bike.  This leads me to a late model Norge GT.  Since I am vertically challenged (29" inseam), I am concerned about the nearly 32" seat height of the Norge.  I need to comfortably flat-foot while stopped. 

Questions: Has anyone lowered a late model Norge GT?  Does it compress enough under my 165 lb. weight so I can flat-foot?  Different shocks? Lower seat, etc.?
Any advise would be welcomed.   :wink:

Thanks and be well,
DougG
A possum playing possum is no big deal.  Find one that can play giraffe, now you got yourself something!

Offline Bigtime

• Hatchling
Re: Moving to a Norge?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 12:30:06 PM »
  Doug,  I moved from a Stelvio to a Norge (1gen) last year for the very same reason. I to have a 29/30 " inseam. I absolutely love my Norge. The seating position is about perfect for someone our height. They also offered a low seat option. I have one but prefer the standard seat. Hope this helps.  JohnB

Offline DougG

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 01:12:20 PM »
Thanks John,                                                                      12-06-22

That's encouraging information.  Can you flat-foot it at a full stop?  Do you know if the the low seat a factory option?

Be well,
DougG
A possum playing possum is no big deal.  Find one that can play giraffe, now you got yourself something!

Offline cappisj1

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2022, 01:26:42 PM »
At 5’10” and 210 pounds I can not flatfoot my 08’ Norge. I can get the balls of both feet comfortably down and I am not on my top toes. When two up I am flatfoot however. My wife doesn’t read these but I am terrified to put a weight in print. Another situation is with camping gear, cloths for 10 days and my 80 pound daughter I was flat footed.

As to lowering them I am sure it’s possible. Just know the center stand will be even closer to hitting in some corners.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2022, 01:26:42 PM »

Offline DougG

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2022, 01:36:41 PM »
Thanks Capp,                                                                                                   12-6-22

I'm wondering if the newer Norge GT (2011+) is the same as far as height and suspension?

Be well,
DougG

So I should bring my wife on my rides?  I guess that's less expensive than having the bike professionally lowered.   :wink:

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2022, 02:06:42 PM »
5’9” on a good day,158lbs, 32 “ inseam , Stock 07 Norge. No problem flat footing, rear shock height adjustment is helpful and necessary to reduce side wind blowing me around. Tried a friends Quota, no way, Stelveo no way, the newer 850 combo bike ( can’t recall name ) Guzzi has impossible. So I’m stuck with either my 03 EV or my Norge, long distance I usually choose the Norge,unless I’m pulling the camper trailer. You will love the Norge, get a set of bar backs to bring the bars closer to you.
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 02:42:03 PM »
Flat footing is overrated.  There are many out there who only put their left foot down while the right maintains the rear brake.  It is all about confidence in your abilities.  There are many videos out there showing riders who can't even flat foot with one foot. 

But, I can also relate to a lot of weight having the chance of overwhelming under the best of circumstances with one slight error. 

Why not try a V7 or V9?  Both can be set up for touring and weigh even another 100 lbs less. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Bigtime

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2022, 04:34:55 PM »
  Doug, I'm not quite flat footed (close), with the standard seat, but in a very comfortable position. Completely flat footed with the low seat. The problem with lowering the bike is ground clearance to the center stand. It may not be as big of a issue with the 2gen Norge. The 2 gen has a redesigned stand.

Offline flower_king001

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2022, 05:03:36 PM »
My inseam is 30" and I flatfoot w/ stock saddle as well as a Corbin Cayon Dual Sport.

https://www.corbin.com/motoguzzi/mgnrg7.shtml

I also installed a GT Mono 2 shock but was standard height but being custom built the length can be shortened.

https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gtm-mshock

Current Fleet

1971 BMW R90/5
1986 Moto Guzzi Lemans IV 1000
1998 Moto Guzzi 1100 EV
2005 BMW 1200 RT
2007 BMW 1200 GS
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2022, 07:22:25 PM »
  5'9" and 30" inseam. I had several great years with a 2012 Norge. Couldn't quite flat foot it unless I really stretched. Put it on a truck scale once and it was well over 600# with a tank of gas. As I got older (I'm 70 now) I felt less confident on less than perfect parking surfaces. The last straw was when I tipped it over in my front yard, on the grass. No damage but I couldn't pick it up by myself. Had to get my wife to help.  :embarrassed: I sold it with 80,000 miles and replaced it with a 2008 Triumph Sprint ST. 150# lighter and sits just a little lower. Easy flat foot. Still sport touring style, more power, just as good looking, and still has character. I still ride my 2002 Guzzi Special Sport too. Guzzi for local, Triumph for long distance.

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2022, 09:18:07 PM »
1994 California 1100

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2022, 06:34:54 AM »
Doug, your location says blue ridge... If you are near the Asheville area, you are more than welcome to come sit on my Breva.  mine has different bars than a norge, but I have both: a Corbin gunfighter and a standard stock seat you can try out on it

Shoot me a PM if you want to check it out.  The bikes are similar enough to at least get a feel for it.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline DougG

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2022, 07:21:29 AM »
Hello,                                                                                           12-07-22

Thank you to all who have replied.  The info and links you provided were very helpful.  I appreciate it and the search goes on.  I'll keep you posted.

Be well, stay well,
DougG

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2022, 08:38:10 AM »
I have an 07 Norge which I bought new from MPH and it has been a relatively trouble free bike. My only complaint about the 1st generation is the heat given off by the engine when it’s hot outside. they do get better mileage than the 8V version but the latter bikes have better heat management than the early bikes.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here