Author Topic: More accidents  (Read 393 times)

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
More accidents
« on: April 16, 2024, 05:13:31 PM »
While the wearing of gear mitigates injuries and fatalities, it still does not protect you from an accident when the driver of a car crosses the center line.  A number of recent motorcycle fatalities in Honolulu were reported that the rider was wearing a helmet but the rider passed away.  No connection to the offending vehicle running them over and dragging them.  Just a pet peeve of mine when the tv news media reports motorcycle accidents.  Always the tagline for helmet or no helmet use by the rider.   :rolleyes:

For those of you that were stationed at Schofield Barracks while in the Army, it's the 2-lane highway from Waialua to H2.  A nice ride that passes Lake Wilson and the 3 gates onto the base.

https://www.kitv.com/news/local/new-details-released-in-head-on-crash-on-kunia-road-involving-multiple-motorcyclists/article_66b5552c-fc20-11ee-8fa8-3b7150fe7941.html
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Re: More accidents
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2024, 07:18:35 PM »
“ The same as it ever was “
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online faffi

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2024, 02:35:20 AM »
IIRC, helmets will increase the chance of survival by only around 15%. It will also reduce the risk of brain injury and especially trauma to the whole head/face region. However, it can also cause one to survive with massive head injury instead of just getting killed - what is worst must be determined by each on their own. Personally, I would have scraped off my face a couple of times without a helmet, and helmets have also saved my life and/or severe brain damage on several occasions.
Current bikes:
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2024, 09:15:29 AM »

"from NHTSA:

Per mile traveled in 2018, the number of deaths on motorcycles in the U.S. was nearly 27 times the number in cars;
Studies estimate that wearing a helmet reduces the risk of dying in a crash by 37 to 42%; and
Unhelmeted riders are 3 times more likely than helmeted ones to sustain traumatic brain injuries in the event of a crash."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tanyamohn/2021/05/31/thinking-of-not-wearing-a-motorcycle-helmet-think-again/?sh=60cd0461301b
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2024, 09:15:29 AM »

Online faffi

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2024, 11:14:10 AM »

"from NHTSA:

Per mile traveled in 2018, the number of deaths on motorcycles in the U.S. was nearly 27 times the number in cars;
Studies estimate that wearing a helmet reduces the risk of dying in a crash by 37 to 42%; and
Unhelmeted riders are 3 times more likely than helmeted ones to sustain traumatic brain injuries in the event of a crash."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tanyamohn/2021/05/31/thinking-of-not-wearing-a-motorcycle-helmet-think-again/?sh=60cd0461301b

Interesting. Not what I was told by the national road service some years back, but if true it really does make an even stronger case for wearing a helmet.
Current bikes:
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2024, 11:47:51 PM »
Accident that happened this weekend.  Fatality.  Rider age 34 hit the Jersey barrier.  He's ejected off the bike and flys into a street light pole.  He died and he was wearing a helmet.

The complete accident report does not say alcohol or drugs were a factor.  Speed is definitely a factor.  Not sure what kind of bike and what kind of helmet.  FF and crouch rocket, most likely but no confirming info.  That part of Ala Moana Blvd is going away from Waikiki.  I've ridden on that road many times. 

Helmet yes but if you're going to be stupid.  Nothing will help you.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here