Author Topic: Small block rear wheel removal  (Read 662 times)

Offline matt franklin

• New Egg
Small block rear wheel removal
« on: March 21, 2024, 11:39:10 PM »
Working on my son's 2009 V7 Classic.  First time working on a small block.  Can the rear wheel be removed without first removing the caliper anchor pin   that's screwed into the left side of the swing arm?

Offline faffi

• Gosling
Re: Small block rear wheel removal
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2024, 01:10:55 AM »
I have not worked on the V7, but I cannot see a way to remove the wheel without first removing the caliper.
Current bikes:
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2024, 06:04:38 AM »
I don’t see how, either—keep in mind you’re pulling the wheel off the hub first before pulling it back and out.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 06:05:07 AM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2024, 06:16:30 AM »

I don't understand the WHY - but I assume there is a way.

I mean as Dirk said, I usually remove/reposition the caliper so there is room to pull the WHEEL HUB off the REAR DRIVE with a little lateral movement to the left.

But once in a while Guzzi people get strange and do things differently for obtuse reasons. Some people will unbolt the rear drive and remove it WITH the wheel. I believe if you have clearance with the fender for wheel removal that might allow you to leave the caliper in place. I used that removal method once, but I honestly don't recall if I still removed the caliper that time.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2024, 06:16:30 AM »

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2024, 07:19:25 AM »
…Some people will unbolt the rear drive and remove it WITH the wheel. I believe if you have clearance with the fender for wheel removal that might allow you to leave the caliper in place. I used that removal method once, but I honestly don't recall if I still removed the caliper that time.

Completely forgot about that process. I can see the merit to that technique if one doesn’t have a center stand and wants to do the job with the bike on its side stand and a lil’ jack or block of wood propping the swingarm. Otherwise, you’re dealing with the nosy intrusion of gravity making it an absolute bear to get the wheel back onto the splines of the final drive (the other option for non-center stand bikes is laying the bike down on its right side, but that’s fingernails to a chalkboard for some people’s brains—not least of which the fact that you’d have to remove that stinkin’ caliper!)

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline matt franklin

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2024, 07:50:06 AM »
Not sure how I feel about being called "strange" and "obtuse" - but then i remembered that as Guzzisti, those appellations likely apply to us all!

Of course the caliper needs to be removed to remove the rear wheel. 

But the problem is the ANCHOR PIN that keeps the caliper from spinning with the wheel - does that need to come out of the swing arm to do it? 

Because that pin is stuck tight.  Rattle gun won't loosen it, and heating it is problematic, because it's a steel pin stuck in a giant aluminum heat sink (the swing arm).  Maybe I need a bigger torch? 

But before I get crazy with it, I thought I'd see if I could just leave it in place and still get the wheel off.  The shop manual shows pin removal as a step in removing the rear wheel.

So, has anybody been successful removing the rear wheel without removing that pin?

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2024, 08:02:52 AM »
Matt, the stud doesn’t have to come completely out, just enough that the end is close to flush with the inside of the swingarm so the caliper sides off. I could be wrong, but I think that retaining bolt calls for blue Loctite. Hopefully it’s just old crud and they didn’t use red. Instead of heat, you could try freezing the steel pin with canned air turned upside down. Or you could spray that stud with some penetrant, and while it’s going to town just remove the final drive via the 4 acorn nuts as Kev pointed out. It’s an easy removal process (be mindful of the spring and stop plate inside the coupler when pulling the final drive off)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 08:10:18 AM by Dirk_S »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2024, 08:18:48 AM »
Not sure how I feel about being called "strange" and "obtuse" - but then i remembered that as Guzzisti, those appellations likely apply to us all!

Of course the caliper needs to be removed to remove the rear wheel. 

But the problem is the ANCHOR PIN that keeps the caliper from spinning with the wheel - does that need to come out of the swing arm to do it? 

Because that pin is stuck tight.  Rattle gun won't loosen it, and heating it is problematic, because it's a steel pin stuck in a giant aluminum heat sink (the swing arm).  Maybe I need a bigger torch? 

But before I get crazy with it, I thought I'd see if I could just leave it in place and still get the wheel off.  The shop manual shows pin removal as a step in removing the rear wheel.

So, has anybody been successful removing the rear wheel without removing that pin?

Have you tried heating it yet? It's either corrosion or more likely Loctite.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline faffi

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2024, 10:44:04 AM »
This topic got me thinking- how often should the shaft drive splines be greased?
Current bikes:
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

Online jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2024, 11:54:50 AM »
This thread makes sealed chain drive look REEEEALLY good?????

Offline brother dave

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2024, 02:02:11 PM »
...But once in a while Guzzi people get strange and do things differently for obtuse reasons...

One of the things I like about Guzzi people.
2007 California Vintage (left the nest)
2018 V7 III Special
2021 V85 Centenario

Online sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2024, 07:14:25 PM »
I wrote a guide to spine lube that might be helpful, esp. since the donor bike is an '09 V7, just like the orig. poster.
To get the text to each photo, double-click on each photo.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sign216/albums/72157625569987011/
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2024, 07:25:54 PM »
I doubt you will do it without pin removal. Even if you did, getting the rubbers lined up will turn you into an alcoholic!
On my 20 v85 it was in so tight that I actually broke the Allen wrench off using a 1/2" breaker bar and a 3 foot leverage bar. All I had to do was hit it with a torch for a few seconds from the back (right) side. It broke loose instantly. FYI, no signs of rust or lock tight were seen.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline matt franklin

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2024, 08:08:04 PM »
Thanks for all the helpful replies, guys.  Kev, yes I had a propane plumber's torch on it for about ten minutes until I was afraid of cooking the finish off the swingarm.  Beat on it with both pneumatic and hand impact drivers.  Kroil.  I can't budge it, and I don't want to break anything.  I like the suggestion about taking the drivebox off with the wheel.  I think I will try that.  After the swingarm is off I'll take another run at this pin.  Maybe clamp the allen wrench in my bench vise and crank on the swing arm or something.  I was trying to get into the clutch, but stalled out with this pin business.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2024, 01:30:10 AM »
Certainly on the Breva that pin must be removed.

Faffi., I clean and lube the splines every time I put a new rear tire on. Easier if you take the whole drive out at the same time. Easier to fit the cush blocks too.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2024, 10:13:21 AM »
Did you have the torch on the inside or outside?
L-196, L-197

Offline matt franklin

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2024, 10:45:45 AM »
I applied heat to the left end of the pin.  With everything in place, there's no access to the right end.  There's also a brake hose and a wire to the speed sensor right there, so care is required so as to not cook those.

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2024, 12:26:12 PM »
Can you post a pic of it? I’m having trouble remembering it and my small block is in winter storage yet.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2024, 01:06:33 PM »
FYI, no signs of rust or lock tight were seen.

Galvanic corrosion then, perhaps? Steel bolt into aluminum swingarm…

Offline faffi

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2024, 02:43:36 PM »

Faffi., I clean and lube the splines every time I put a new rear tire on. Easier if you take the whole drive out at the same time. Easier to fit the cush blocks too.

Thank you :thumb:
Current bikes:
2018 V9 Roamer
1982 XV750/1100 mongrel
1990 XT600Z
2001 NT650V in bits

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2024, 05:23:36 PM »
It's a 2009 so the tire has to have been off by now. Possibly somebody flooded it with red lock tight and didn't coat it with anti-seise.
But, you are on the wrong side and heat on the left won't get through to the right (small side) of the pin from there. On my 16 Stone the pin is just ahead of the rotor. The brake lines are well below the swing arm.
Come in from the tire side! Because it's stuck I'd have a long punch ready to hit the right side of the pin once hot and a long breaker bar on a HIGH quality allen wrench.  That should break it loose.
FYI, it's a very hard steel pin in what is most likley a Magnesium housing so could be very corrouded too.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 05:26:23 PM by Vagrant »
L-196, L-197

Offline matt franklin

• New Egg
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2024, 05:44:59 PM »
OK, I got the wheel off.  I removed the caliper from the caliper bracket, and unbolted the drive box from the swingarm,  and it came out after I let some air out of the tire.  Now I can get some real heat on the exposed pin.  It'll get some never seez going back in.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2024, 02:20:39 AM »
It has a very fine thread Matt.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here