Author Topic: V9 valve clearance?  (Read 2845 times)

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
V9 valve clearance?
« on: July 10, 2017, 07:56:12 AM »
Curious to hear, what with the new arrangement. I wonder if it will be the same as the Aero?

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
Re: V9 valve clearance?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 09:53:59 AM »
Curious to hear, what with the new arrangement. I wonder if it will be the same as the Aero?

The harder piece of information would be to find out what the valve clearances for the Aero were!  :grin:

Chuck made his best guess, based on big blocks, from what I remember.

I wish I could find Chuck's valve cover off photo of his Aero engine, but I've seen it and the new V9 heads look similar... but I wonder if the V9 has smaller valves?

The Aero engine looks better in my opinion. If I ever get a Guzzi with the new hemi smallblock, I think I'll try and make custom valve covers that look like the Aero's.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 07:31:12 PM »

Actually, Joe.. they are quite different. I'm surprised. I'd have thought since they had the tooling they would have modified it to do the new heads. A guy on another list said that he expected all that stuff was trashed when Aprillia took over. There apparently *was* a lot of it.  :sad:  Notice the casting seems to be set up for a central plug? Maybe another 4 valve grenade in the works? :rolleyes: :smiley:
Aero engine head below:

Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

pete roper

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 07:44:40 PM »
According to the book 4 thou inlet, six thou exhaust.

http://cadrecycle.com/manuals/technical/Engine%20V9%20IE%20MIU%20G3.pdf

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 07:44:40 PM »

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 07:52:04 PM »
Thanks, Pete! And Chuck I love seeing photos of that thing.

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 03:36:02 AM »

Actually, Joe.. they are quite different. I'm surprised. I'd have thought since they had the tooling they would have modified it to do the new heads. A guy on another list said that he expected all that stuff was trashed when Aprillia took over. There apparently *was* a lot of it.  :sad:  Notice the casting seems to be set up for a central plug? Maybe another 4 valve grenade in the works? :rolleyes: :smiley:
Aero engine head below:

Thanks for sharing that Chuck! I don't know, there seems to still be a lot of similarities. The casting is different for the new valve cover bolt arrangements. I know there were changes for cylinder head cooling, to keep the exhaust valves cooler...

Yeah, I was hoping for a mini Griso engine upgrade with a chain driven cam system, etc... Maybe the plug will be for a dual spark, high compression 2 valve coming?

It will be interesting to see what becomes of it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 03:43:42 AM by Unkept »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here