Author Topic: Mandello Anniversary stuff..(then the trip)  (Read 11243 times)

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Mandello Anniversary stuff..(then the trip)
« Reply #180 on: September 25, 2022, 10:39:08 AM »

Offline Jorg66

• Gosling
« Reply #181 on: September 25, 2022, 12:26:20 PM »
...., thanks very much for sharing !!!

Yup story's, encounters like that puts once several 1000 Klicks Journeys into Perspective . No offense .
Now 2019 California ,,2018 [ New] V7 III Carbon Dark
Ex  1979 Kreidler Florett, 1980 Z 550 , 1969Nuovo Falcone/ Polizzia,2006 VTX 1300 C ,1982 Honda CB 125 S

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #182 on: September 25, 2022, 12:32:20 PM »
...., thanks very much for sharing !!!

Yup story's, encounters like that puts once several 1000 Klicks Journeys into Perspective . No offense .
None taken Jorg old mate..
I posted the encounter with that very aspect in mind. I think the take away for me, is that we should all endeavour to do as much as WE can.
But that guy was a Rock of Gibraltar in my eyes. I mentioned to him that I never pass a cyclist without sparing a thought about their mental toughness.
If you read again the opening line, you’ll see that I’m in no way comparing my trip to his…
G..U..T..S.. :bow:

Online Pescatore

• Gosling
« Reply #183 on: September 25, 2022, 08:02:16 PM »
Yep. I have to do that.
This.

Cool!  The stock plastic side latches are lame.
2008 Norge 1200
1991 V65GT
1980 CM400T
MGNOC Member
Ascolta sempre e solo musica vera
E cerca sempre se puoi di capire

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #183 on: September 25, 2022, 08:02:16 PM »

Online Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #184 on: September 27, 2022, 02:59:37 PM »
A Mandello memory, a picture of the Guzzi factory taken from the hill above, behind that yellow plaster facade of the ancient factory walls is a pretty busy looking plant.

48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #185 on: September 28, 2022, 04:28:02 PM »

I’m currently parked up back in Sovico after spending a couple of days in Cantu’ just out of Como.
A guy saw my bike in a car park at the base of the Stelvio and recognised it from some other place. He made himself known and put me up for a couple of days…
I’m going for a ride on Saturday, but until then will just hang here.
Here are some shots of the landscape and I went to the same museum as Canuck 750. Some of my shots are the same as his, but you might see something different.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 05:12:52 PM by Huzo »

Online Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #186 on: September 29, 2022, 12:00:37 AM »
Great pictures! The Stelvio looks daunting with a blanket of snow.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #187 on: September 29, 2022, 01:19:17 AM »
Great pictures! The Stelvio looks daunting with a blanket of snow.
Yeah Jim.
Those hairpin bends had me being pretty careful. The temp gauge was reading 3 deg and the water was on the road, not far from ice…!
I’m getting old.. :undecided:

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #188 on: September 29, 2022, 08:49:30 AM »
getting older - not old....also living the dream

Mark

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #189 on: September 29, 2022, 12:37:24 PM »
getting older - not old....also living the dream

Mark
I’m not convinced of the first premise Mark, but I’ll bet what’s left of my life on the second one…
I don’t seem to have any (realistic) dreams that haven’t been realised or potentially can be.
I would like to ride a CT110 Honda from Melbourne to London. I will get to meet Nathan Millward in London on this trip.
He’s the guy who did it on 1 week’s notice.
That will be good.

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #190 on: September 30, 2022, 02:07:08 PM »
Peter

hope you can make the "states" one of these years so we could meet up - but if not guess we can also do it in Italy.  I'm overdue to get back there.

safe travels,

Mark

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #191 on: September 30, 2022, 02:36:44 PM »
Peter

hope you can make the "states" one of these years so we could meet up - but if not guess we can also do it in Italy.  I'm overdue to get back there.

safe travels,

Mark
I can get a bike from one of the forum members.
I have a rough plan…
If I can get enough volunteers to put me up with no more than 500 km between, I’d like to go from Charlotte down and across to San Francisco, over THE BRIDGE, up the West Coast to Canada then across the top to end up descending through New York back to Charlotte.
If I could get accomodation pledges, I’d donate what I would have spent to the forum…
Sounds like a plan to me… :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #192 on: September 30, 2022, 03:17:49 PM »
I have a rough plan…
If I can get enough volunteers to put me up with no more than 500 km between, I’d like to go from Charlotte down and across to San Francisco, over THE BRIDGE, up the West Coast to Canada then across the top to end up descending through New York back to Charlotte.
If I could get accomodation pledges, I’d donate what I would have spent to the forum…
Sounds like a plan to me… :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Hmmm..  I’m only a little more than 100 km sw of Charlotte.  It would make for a kind of short first day of riding.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #193 on: September 30, 2022, 05:29:33 PM »
I have a rough plan…
If I could get accomodation pledges, I’d donate what I would have spent to the forum

I'm in - BUT you'll need to head to the North Coast of USA to make that work!

Mark

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #194 on: September 30, 2022, 08:26:41 PM »
I have a rough plan…
If I could get accomodation pledges, I’d donate what I would have spent to the forum

I'm in - BUT you'll need to head to the North Coast of USA to make that work!

Mark
Where am I making my mistake ?

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #195 on: September 30, 2022, 08:38:59 PM »
Photo Stelvio sit on a corner and photograph everything that passes. You order what you want from the net.
These are a selection from the last crossing.

Just under 9,000’ AMSL and 2 - 3 deg C…!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 08:40:04 PM by Huzo »

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #196 on: October 01, 2022, 12:20:09 AM »
Passo Stelvio isn’t really the best pass to ride, even if it’s very photogenic.  Short straights and hairpins, more of a traverse than a sport ride.  On the weekends it’s often a scene, literally a parade of bikes all in a row, and its a place where you’re likely to run into trouble.  One time a guy on an MV Brutale lost it in front of me but I was happy to miss him.

Another time (2002) I had an adventure there that was completely my own fault.  I’d stayed in Mals Venosta the night before, pretty much at the base of the north end of Stelvio. I’d decided to cross the next morning, knowing the road was closed but also knowing that closed in Italy means something different than it means in let’s say Switzerland.  Half way up the plows were working, the drivers motioned that I really needed to turn around but I wanted to get to the top.  Eventually and inevitably I tipped it over on ice, scratching the fairing on a rental Ducati ST2.  Happily it had already been lightly tipped over on that side and my added scratches were not significant. I picked the bike up and decided I’d pushed my luck far enough, heading east towards Merano and Bolzano to get eventually get to the south end of the pass.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #197 on: October 01, 2022, 01:01:42 AM »
I still have the Northern Hemisphere issue of not “feeling” the direction that I’m actually heading. Going along the road at lunchtime, with the sun in front of you heading South, just feels….Wrong.
Also it moves from left to right in that circumstance..(have to get that fixed).
Heading towards Merano from Stelvio, I have to mentally fool myself to be convinced I’m going East.
Yeah.
There are probably better ones, Spluga was more intense etc…
But they are not called…”Stelvio”.  :rolleyes:
Plus, I always stay at Hotel Sagemuhle

I can squeeze past the end of the barrier and don’t need to remember the passcode … :rolleyes:
What a bonus….!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 01:04:43 AM by Huzo »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #198 on: October 04, 2022, 01:50:57 PM »
The last week or so, I’ve been parked up at the homes of two very generous and kind families. One in Cantu’ and one in Sovico.
But time marched on as inevitably does and this morning I departed Sovico and I now find myself having an evening meal of seafood while having to put up with the sound of the waves lapping against the shore on the Italian Riviera..

https://youtu.be/1ZIS-RNj1nw
The vision isn’t much good, but jeez the sound’s great..!

Can’t I get some peace…? :rolleyes:
Anyway, what is it about Italian drivers..?
They simply are INCAPABLE of sitting behind a driver or rider in front of them. The idiots on scooters are just diabolically stupid when passing cars, with vehicles coming the other way. If I saw it once I must have seen it 100 times, a scooter dives past a car ( or truck…!) with a car coming towards them..
Our hero occupies the scant space between the two vehicles with a closing speed of 160 km/hr, if the car driver wanted to, he could order the biker’s death, by just closing the gap when the overtake was half done..
Just madness…!
They live in heaven and cannot wait to get to hell…..
It’s got me rooted…
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 02:10:02 PM by Huzo »

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #199 on: October 07, 2022, 11:57:42 AM »
Hey Tuyusan,

I stayed in Mals Venosta when I was over there - what a great place. Stayed in a B&B and had the most amazing food at a good price. The owner was a farmer as well as running the accommodation.
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #200 on: October 09, 2022, 10:30:46 AM »
Mals is surely a good central location for riding in every direction, with nice routes into Switzerland, Austria and Italy.  Years ago a group of us who did European trips used to stay there at the Garberhof for that reason but it moved up market (i.e. the price too high for what you get). It’s also a very direct route to Mals from Munich, along the Inn Valley and over the Reschenpass so now the parking lot is filled with new cars with Munich plates on the weekends.  Happily there are a lot of other choices in the area but for whatever reason I haven’t stayed in that immediate area since 2006.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #201 on: October 17, 2022, 04:22:19 AM »
This trip has been quite a bit different to all the others.
I seem to spend less time hopping from one tourist attraction to the next than has been the case in the past. I have been afforded the chance to stay with some established contacts from WildGuzzi in addition to new ones that I’ve had chance encounters with.
I came out of the Hotel Sagermuhle at the bottom of the Stelvio and was greeted by a guy in an unremarkable looking European car who chatted as if we’d known each other for ages…!
‘Seems he’d seen my bike somewhere a few days before and as he was going through the village his wife spotted it parked up.
She said (apparently)
“There’s that nice bike with the guy in the funny jacket….”
He told me continued on his way, wishing he could have stopped to chat..(he’s not a biker).
After a few minutes of pensive silence his wife said..
“You should have stopped to meet him…” :undecided:
So with that, he came back at once and we met as described. He left me with an open invitation to stay with him in Cantu’ which is 8 km from Sovico, which is 6k from Monza (where I rode a pushbike on the parabolica..!) which is 10 km from Como.
I spent multiple evenings at all those locations, with everything warm loving Italian family homes have on offer.

Right now I’m in Francois’ Paris apartment pondering the fuel crisis which now has closed 50% of the gasoline stations across this part of Europe. I have half a tank which is not enough to get me to Calais, but all is not lost since Francois has “several motorcycles in his underground garage, as well as many in other locations…”  :rolleyes:
We can milk the stale fuel from them and hurl it in the (now) venerable Norge for my jaunt to Calais.

Now as long as the ferry is not out of gas all will be good.

The complexion of my trips is changing as a reflection of my priorities. I had an enthralling 3 hr conversation about the politics of the current European conflict, most of which I had no clue about and actually did not have to fake my interest..!
As you’ll know if you’ve followed this thread, there have been some low points

and some high

but all in all, very memorable…
As I often say..
Time will write the final line… :clock: :bike-037:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 04:07:57 PM by Huzo »

Offline Jorg66

• Gosling
« Reply #202 on: October 17, 2022, 02:09:50 PM »
Perhaps ,didn't go as planed ,but ..... more and new connections now a days are worth lots [tonnes] . Plus story's to tell.
Now 'push it and yourself 'over the finish line and tell the rest.
Cheers and best of Luck !

Jorg
Now 2019 California ,,2018 [ New] V7 III Carbon Dark
Ex  1979 Kreidler Florett, 1980 Z 550 , 1969Nuovo Falcone/ Polizzia,2006 VTX 1300 C ,1982 Honda CB 125 S

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #203 on: October 17, 2022, 02:12:14 PM »
Perhaps ,didn't go as planed ,but ..... more and new connections now a days are worth lots [tonnes] . Plus story's to tell.
Now 'push it and yourself 'over the finish line and tell the rest.
Cheers and best of Luck !

Jorg
Are you talking about the trip..or life ?
I’d say both.

Offline Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #204 on: October 17, 2022, 02:50:10 PM »
All part of the big adventure Huzo!
Petrol's pretty much back on tap around here and the French Govmt have requisitioned key petrol workers so I'm pretty sure you'll be good after a bit of a search.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #205 on: October 17, 2022, 03:45:06 PM »
All part of the big adventure Huzo!
Petrol's pretty much back on tap around here and the French Govmt have requisitioned key petrol workers so I'm pretty sure you'll be good after a bit of a search.
Yeah FF.
Old mate around the corner here in Paris just told me as he was stuffing a croissant in his pie hole..!
From 6am tomorrow morning.

Offline Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #206 on: October 17, 2022, 03:47:42 PM »
 :grin:

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #207 on: October 20, 2022, 06:25:06 AM »
In the words of Al Capone…
This was something I shot.

A couple of Francois’ bikes.
Not the little covered in BMW but I can almost see why you would for a wet city environment. The owner was really a great guy..!

The red rattler looks nice in Paris with her bottom bare…

« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 07:39:15 AM by Huzo »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #208 on: October 20, 2022, 06:34:04 AM »
Oh and BTW…
Last night right at the end of a particularly well lubricated conversation, Francois said that him and I should ride two small bikes to Nordkapp from Paris.
He has a Honda Monkey bike and I have the mile munching CT110 Honda.
I held my gaze as long as he did and at one point I think we shook hands, neither one of us blinked.

He has been before as have I a couple of times, but this would be different. My suggestion would be that we rendezvous at Calais and scuttle up from there….
Hmmmmm……..

Offline Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #209 on: October 20, 2022, 07:38:48 AM »
"The very long ,slow trip "  :grin:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here