Author Topic: Waiting for the light to change in neutral  (Read 1376 times)

Offline pat80flh

• Gosling
Re: Waiting for the light to change in neutral
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2022, 09:44:54 AM »
Me too for the put her in neutral camp. Mostly a habit cause you weren't putting a Shovel in neutral once you're stopped.

The guys that say they're in gear so they can avoid a car rear ending them are the same ones that say they "laid her down on purpose"
00 Bassa
80 FLH (in rehab)
84 V65C
75 850T prject

Offline cowtownchemist

• New Egg
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2022, 11:16:24 AM »
For me it depends on the length of the red light.  Short ones I sometimes leave it in gear.  Long ones I put it in neutral.  Mainly so I can relax and don't have to hold the clutch the whole time.  I read somewhere that for the wet clutches its no big deal to leave it in gear at lights, but its better to use neutral when you can with the dry ones.
2014 V7 Stone
2000 V11 Sport

Offline Alfetta

• Gosling
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2022, 11:22:08 AM »
humm....

Why is it so difficult...  careful lift from first.... blip of green light... clicks into 2nd.... $%^#&# biscuits...  careful push down... blip of green light.... clicks into first... $%^#&# biscuits...
repeat until signal has changed, launch in second...
Nothing much better than a Tannat from the Salta region.

Offline Anomaly

• Gosling
  • Location: Southern Tuscany (mostly), Rhode Island (sometimes)
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2022, 12:44:42 PM »
humm....

Why is it so difficult...  careful lift from first.... blip of green light... clicks into 2nd.... $%^#&# biscuits...  careful push down... blip of green light.... clicks into first... $%^#&# biscuits...

The first honest post in this thread....
1981 T3 California, 1983 Piaggio Apecar P2
Sold: 98 BMW F650, 2012 v7 Classic

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2022, 12:44:42 PM »

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2022, 04:34:50 PM »
In the last couple of days I am becoming more adapt at getting it into neutral.

But, how often does the throw-out bearing go bad?

And why doesn't the wet clutch have the same issue?

kaladin
First you look where it should be, then you look where it might be, then you look where it won't be, then you look where it mustn't be.  And when you find it you discover "that's where it should have been."
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Offline Alfetta

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2022, 04:55:01 PM »
I read somewhere that for the wet clutches its no big deal to leave it in gear at lights, but its better to use neutral when you can with the dry ones.

Wet clutch run in a bath of oil, along with the trough out bearing, so non-issue.

Dry clutch suffers from a much longer history....
early cars used oil impregnated bearing material, like bronze of phenolics... these are rubbing surfaces that did wear-out over time (and not a long time),  This type of bearing was used up to the early 60's but some went longer (like Renault Dauphine)  These were later replaced with sealed rolling element designs and they typically outlasted multiple clutches.  This type is still used today in standard transmission cars and trucks (and im guessing a Guzzi)

There are of coarse some exceptions, my '95 3/4 ton Chevy used steel balls in a plastic housing, that was activated by a plastic hydraulic master and a plastic slave cylinder coupled by a plastic line...    ALL CRAP !
Nothing much better than a Tannat from the Salta region.

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2022, 03:20:29 AM »
humm....

Hilarious and scarily accurate

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2022, 07:41:29 AM »
Maybe it’s been said before on this thread, but here goes..
I have an ‘07 Norge and it has a 204,000 km clutch that operates perfectly.
It’s the thrust bearing thing, if you hold the lever in, you are using the thrust bearing and it is working. It has a useable life and will not last forever.
If you have enough class to pop the bike into neutral at the light, your thrust bearing is not doing any work and it’ll last as long as mine.
Here’s another thing.
When you pull the clutch in to engage 1st gear, wait a couple of seconds for the clutch to spin down and you bike will go into gear totally silently.
The gear dogs will not be asked to crash together and as before, it’ll still shift like a Suzuki Bandit at 200,000 plus…

It’s just a class thing to do and shows mechanical “taste”.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2022, 07:43:57 AM »
humm....

Am I the only person that cannot understand the point here ?

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2022, 08:05:11 AM »
Am I the only person that cannot understand the point here ?
The rider keeps blowing past the neutral detent (and cursing) and is repeatedly cycling between first and second as he sits at the light.

I use the heel and toe simultaneously on the heel & toe shifter to select gears (and neutrals) with precision.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 08:05:51 AM by n3303j »
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2022, 08:18:02 AM »
The rider keeps blowing past the neutral detent (and cursing) and is repeatedly cycling between first and second as he sits at the light.

I use the heel and toe simultaneously on the heel & toe shifter to select gears (and neutrals) with precision.
Ahhh ok… :grin:

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2022, 08:21:14 AM »
Being in First with clutch disengaged has saved me from one rear end collision. I heard the squealing tires and did a fast exit. The sleepy rider who was following got it stopped in the position I had occupied a second previously.

But if there's a couple of solid vehicles stopped behind me and the light has any duration I'll select neutral.

At least on the V11, T3 and Ural replacing a throw out bearing is no big deal. Pull the cotter on the clutch lever retaining pin. Remove the lever and pull the throw out bearing out the back of the transmission and slide in a new one. All this is done with a fully assembled bike on the center stand (sidestand would work too). 20 minutes out of your life.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2022, 08:50:51 AM »
The detents on my Guzzis are a lot softer than other bikes I have ridden. It just takes a gentle touch. If the clutch is mal-adjusted all bets are off. I really like the clutch and transmission in my V7lll, they were also excellent in my departed Audace.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here