Author Topic: Norge Wind Protection  (Read 754 times)

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
Norge Wind Protection
« on: September 26, 2022, 12:59:08 PM »
As some of you know I crashed my 2008 Norge in July resulting in a total loss. I faired pretty good with no broken bones and a lot of scratches. I had every intent of buying back the Norge and repairing it myself. The insurance company made that almost impossible only leaving me about $2000 to replace the front fairing, the side case the handlebar and kickstand. All of this was OK with me.

So after some serious discussions with my wife, I was allowed to keep riding and get a new (to me) motorcycle. The only criterion was I had to be able to flat foot the bike while stopped at an intersection. The good Lord did not bless me with long (or even medium) legs, so with an inseam of 28" (that number may be optimistic) I began to look into cruisers. At first I was considering a California 1400, but I could not totally flat foot it. I have photographic proof of this. So after looking and pondering I came up with a Yamaha V star 950. I may have gone with a Harley but I did not like the extra weight.

all this to say... I have been struggling with the wind protection on the Yamaha. It came with a stupid short windscreen. The buffeting was terrible at any speed over 55. I ordered a taller windshield that took some time to get here and got it set with the right height. Buffeting at 55MPH and over. I bought a Laminar lip and fork Lowers and the buffeting is almost gone. Almost.

The Norge NEVER had any buffeting. None. The wind management was superior, really well designed. I was using a Cal Science bigger windscreen, but the stock one did not buffet. I miss the Norge, but I am grateful to be able to keep riding.

Offline SemperVee

• My life will be told in MC people and experiences more than anything else.
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • USMC Retired
Re: Norge Wind Protection
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2022, 03:42:54 PM »
   Scott you might look towards a Victory of any kind,  I had a cross country tour and that had the MOST comprehensive wind protection in I ever had in 50 years of riding just about everything including my 07 Norge.  Seat height is only about 27-28 inches.  I have 30 inseam and could easily flat foot it.   Way less $$ than a HD and much more reliable.   my .02
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 03:43:32 PM by SemperVee »
2007 MG Norge - Hi Ho Silver! - La Dolce Vita
CalSci Tall Windshield
Heli-Bars
Matris Fork + SAG set
Eibach Rear spring
Salamander HB ends
K&N  filter
StainTune pipe
Metal gas fltr
Givi Rear rack
Givi V46 Box and Rack
Startus Interuptus
Napoleon Mirrors
Grip Puppies

Offline craigclu

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2022, 03:52:22 PM »
I can relate as a short-coupled compatriot....  My 8V Norge was greatly improved for me with the factory low seat.  I'm down to one bike and this makes the Norge a good, versatile answer for me and the duties I need/use it for.  Lowered pegs and slight risers have other things balanced out nicely now.  CA Scientific screen transformed it re: wind.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 03:53:42 PM by craigclu »
He who is without oil shall cast out the first rod...”-Detonations 5:72.

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 04:07:13 AM »
Scott,

Like you, I have short legs, plus I'm getting weaker as I get older. I have been touring on a 2V Norge for the past 12 years, but, fully loaded, especially 2-up, the Norge has become a handful. I bought an Indian Scout 5 years ago; used it mainly for 2-up day rides. The Scout has a wonderful motor, but the wind protection at highway speeds is a real problem. The seat height on the Scout is a mere 25 inches, plus the bike is about the same wet weight as the Norge, so it is much easy for me to control at parking lot speeds and at stops than the Norge. I am trying to transform the Scout into a touring bike, but I've had trouble improving the high-speed wind issue. I've tried a few different tall windscreens and have added an X-creen to the tallest one. Though the protection is now acceptable, it can't compare to the great silent air pocket that the Norge created. I recently bought a tail bag for the bike; will take my first long-distance, 3 day ride on it today. I am using this ride as a sort of test to determine if, indeed, this bike can replace the Norge for touring duty. Next step: I might add fork lowers. I'll let you know how things work out on the upcoming ride.

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 04:07:13 AM »

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2022, 04:24:45 PM »
V9  - 'nuf said  :cool:

I'm comparable on the leg front at 29" and I can flat foot easily, plus it's 50Kgs (IIRC) less than a CARC bike , I used to have a B1100
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2022, 04:25:30 PM »
Got back to Cincinnati from my trip to TN, NC, & GA on the Scout. On back roads the bike was loads of fun, but for the stretches on I-75 it was a bit of a challenge: noisy and was moved around by "dirty" air coming off of trucks and some other vehicles.

I am really missing my Norge.

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2022, 05:10:16 PM »
unfortunately, to get protection like on a norge, you have to buy a bike like the norge or RT.  That comes with the weight sadly.  naked bikes are so much lighter, but i have never found one to equal a true touring or well conceived sport touring bike.  Even with a fairly large screen and fork leg deflectors such as my victory tour deluxe, my 1400 Cali and my harley wide glide with windscreens, I never enjoyed the "cone of silence" i had on the RT with the proper windscreen.  on that bike, if it rained, as long as you were moving, the only water was on the very top of my shoulders and the tips of my boots, same for the wind so that you could even ride that one without earplugs for short distances.  but, the weight and top heaviness were real liabilities on gravel, in a parking lot and especially when i was a little tired.
let us know if you can solve this.
Blue Guzz

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2022, 01:09:52 PM »
The perfect sport tourer in my dreams would be a Norge in the 750-850 cc range. If one was in Italy this very animal existed and I’ve seen pictures of it in service as an Italian police bike. But alas this bike did not make it to the states in any form.

And as much as I really like the pocket of air on my 07 Norge among all the other things that induce cat eating bumblebee grins of joy whenever I’m on it, I as others have mentioned, feel the weight of it fully loaded is becoming a concern as I’m aging. For now I’m mostly very satisfied with the fit and feel of it. But having said all that, the only time I do not enjoy the Norge is when I’m traveling long distance with a nasty side wind of anything over 20-30 mph, to me this is the biggest flaw of the Norge functioning as a truly exceptional tourer, all that Tupperware providing that wonderful pocket has a price. I’ve experienced to many white knuckle rides where I can see my wife on her Baby Breva riding straight up and the wind has me angled and struggling, despite trying to tune the rear suspension. Over my 12 years of Norge experience I have learned to frequently check the forecast for days and hours before departure before finally  deciding to either ride the Norge or pack up my 03 EV. I find the EV is much more stable in all weather conditions.  Just my opinion based on my observation.
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2022, 01:31:53 PM »
Well.
I get out on my Norge now and then and I must be in the minority. I like to be pushed and buffeted by the wind, it adds to the feeling of being on a bike.
I bought a motorbike because I wanted to feel like I was on a…….Motorbike..!
If I didn’t want to feel what nature was doing, I’d get a Hummer.
Before I get shot down by the inevitable barrage, no I don’t want to freeze to death or die of heat exhaustion either.
But..
I don’t know why you’d buy a bike, then try as much as you can to make it feel like it isn’t one.. It’s the interaction with the elements that make them special..
Anyway.
That should get a conversation started… :popcorn:

Oh and while we’re on the subject of leaning in the wind..
The heavier a bike is, the less lean angle is required for the horizontal component of the mass, to counteract the wind force. Although I do accept your point of the greater area of the bigger bike.
Just ride the bugger I reckon…
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 01:35:39 PM by Huzo »

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2022, 01:43:25 PM »
Having experimented with quite a few windscreens on my Norge, the one that gives me no buffetting is a cut down Cal Sci Tinted Shorty, cut down another 2 inches from stock.  This gives me enough protection on the chest and zero head buffeting.   Cal Sci mediums, talls, original Guzzi windscreens all caused me headaches, I even tried using a Laminar lip on a medium or original Cal Sci shorty...none worked to my satisfaction.  I even rode one time a hundred miles with no windscreen, extremely quiet air at the helmet level but too much air pressure and buffeting on the shoulders and chest.

This is as personal a measurement as you can get and requires some experimentation, but finding and keeping smooth air makes the ride so much more enjoyable and much less exhausting than fighting the buffeting all day long.  A good set of earplugs (another plug for Decibulz or Silicone swimmer ear plugs) makes it perfect for all day riding.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 01:45:34 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2022, 01:47:01 PM »
How about just hitting the button and raising it the 100 mm or so ?

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2022, 01:52:49 PM »
How about just hitting the button and raising it the 100 mm or so ?

Good suggestion...I tried all of the positions in various increments on all of the prior screens, but the shape, size, height all of that was all slightly imperfect.  I'm just glad I found the formula that works...but it's a lot of experimentation to find the sweet spot.  One additional item I failed to mention, I hate looking at the top of the screen, right in my sight line, so while you can achieve perfect quiet with a Tall screen, at least for me it comes with an annoying sight line interference.

I prefer to feel the wind, smooth and have a clean sight line...but no buffeting.  By comparisons, the Scura is absolutely perfect from the factory, and the Griso with a Dart Marlin is also perfect...just enough chest protection and absolutely smooth air at the helmet level, with a perfect sight line.  I finally figured that out after all the experimentation, for me, shorter is better.

Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2022, 03:11:35 PM »
Having experimented with quite a few windscreens on my Norge, the one that gives me no buffetting is a cut down Cal Sci Tinted Shorty, cut down another 2 inches from stock. 

Hi Paul,
How tall are you?

k
First you look where it should be, then you look where it might be, then you look where it won't be, then you look where it mustn't be.  And when you find it you discover "that's where it should have been."
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2022, 05:03:19 PM »
I do not mind wind... except when it is 40 degree wind, that can get a little cold.
Buffeting is something I can not tolerate. The buffeting on the Yamaha with the short windscreen was causing my eyes to cross.
I think I have it licked. I am willing to go a little slower on this Cruiser.
I started this post top comment on how good the Norge does with wind and especially buffeting protection.
I had it pretty good for 12 years and 47,000 miles ....

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2022, 06:32:00 PM »
Believe me, Scott.. I get it. The Norge is the best mile eater I've ever had.. but.. I'm inseam challenged, too.. and as I er.. matured.. it just became too top heavy. I, too, absolutely hate buffeting, and cruisers don't get it for me. Every one is different of course. My answer has been the AeroLario.. but not all can handle the fairly dedicated riding position of a "sporty" bike. As I said.. everyone is different.  :smiley: Good luck.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2022, 07:34:39 PM »
Hi Paul,
How tall are you?

k
5’ 10”, 31 inseam…
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline SemperVee

• My life will be told in MC people and experiences more than anything else.
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • USMC Retired
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2022, 08:45:34 PM »

Well, I guess I won't make you feel any better when I tell you I just brought home today a new to me 07 Silver Norge with upgraded Eibach shock spring and Matris fork kit along with a CalSci tall windshield and Heibar risers.  Now I just need to find all her secrets out from the past owner by close examination of her 48,000 previous miles. 

2007 MG Norge - Hi Ho Silver! - La Dolce Vita
CalSci Tall Windshield
Heli-Bars
Matris Fork + SAG set
Eibach Rear spring
Salamander HB ends
K&N  filter
StainTune pipe
Metal gas fltr
Givi Rear rack
Givi V46 Box and Rack
Startus Interuptus
Napoleon Mirrors
Grip Puppies

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2022, 09:02:43 PM »

Well, I guess I won't make you feel any better when I tell you I just brought home today a new to me 07 Silver Norge with upgraded Eibach shock spring and Matris fork kit along with a CalSci tall windshield and Heibar risers.  Now I just need to find all her secrets out from the past owner by close examination of her 48,000 previous miles. 

FULL service…
Grease all the un greasy bits.
TB balance.
Check the security of the bevelbox pinion nut.

See you in another 78,000 miles.
Congratulations…. :bow: :thumb:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 09:07:00 PM by Huzo »

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2022, 10:34:51 AM »
5’ 10”, 31 inseam…

I'm 6'1",31" inseam, my results will probably vary.
First you look where it should be, then you look where it might be, then you look where it won't be, then you look where it mustn't be.  And when you find it you discover "that's where it should have been."
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here