Author Topic: Lane splitting in Arizona  (Read 872 times)

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
Lane splitting in Arizona
« on: September 27, 2022, 04:51:57 PM »
As of the 24th, lane splitting is legal in AZ, with the same restrictions as here in Utah, meaning the cars have to be stopped,
it has to have two lanes going in the same direction, and the speed limit is less than 45mph. And the motorcycle has to travel below 15mph while splitting.   So basically at traffic lights.

But be careful at first, when the law was passed here a lot of people got angry when I did it.  Until they figured out the new rules. 
First you look where it should be, then you look where it might be, then you look where it won't be, then you look where it mustn't be.  And when you find it you discover "that's where it should have been."
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
Re: Lane splitting in Arizona
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 05:46:02 PM »
Grew up and learned to ride motorcycles on the East Coast, (upstate New York). :thumb:

Lived in NORCAL twice, and last time was 2006-2011, and I DID "lane split" occasionally, while riding with my other motorcycles friends out there...but was never really comfortable doing it... :rolleyes: :shocked: :huh:

It's what you get used to, I guess...but it can be hazardous under the wrong conditions...

Some drivers in Arizona are downright dangerous, so you really have to be careful (IMHO). :rolleyes: :shocked:

(...just sayin')
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
'14 Victory Vision Tour
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 06:21:30 PM »
It's what you get used to, I guess.

+1
It is a true blessing in California. One of the primary reasons I own motorcycles.  There are 'wrong' hours when you have to ride mile after mile in the filter in order to get anywhere.  I don't really get the 'stopped' condition.  Traffic is often moving at 10 to 20 and filtering can be done safely and efficiently.  I'm always pissed when I see  young ones filtering at full posted speed.  Good way to lose a rare privilege.  The CHP tried to post and encourage 'safe' recommendations but the naysayers made them retract it all.  OK in moving traffic.  Not more than 10mph over the creeping vehicles.  Get back in line at 30mph flow.

Go visit Europe.  It is the standard and the norm.  Anything to keep traffic moving efficiently.  Everyone gets to work earlier.

BTW, a huge no-no in California is to move outside the traffic lanes on either side.  Quick ticket.  Not sure why any motorcyclist would  want to ride with the nails, glass, and metal shards.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 06:28:53 PM »
I thought further on the 'stopped' thing.  Bad idea.  I get that they are trying to avoid the cars squishing the motorcycles.  But if you are filtering  and come upon two vehicles too close together, then you are stuck just like them.  No alternatives.  No escape route.  If you filter at 10mph and come upon close vehicles you can just hang there a few seconds. Eventually one of them will spot  you and move a few lateral feet to give you room to move through.  Beep, or blap your loud pipes and they are just as likely to tighten up and lock you there for the remainder.  When cars move laterally to make room, I always attempt a gentle ride by and then a quick wave or thumbs up of 'thanks' for their consideration.  It helps not only for them, but there are likely five or six other cars watching and getting the same gentle message.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 06:28:53 PM »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 08:26:41 PM »
I'm assuming this new law is not for the interstates,  or if it is they are referring to stop and go on the interstate as opposed to slower than the speed limit. 

I didn't know about the two lanes in the same direction when I was on the PCH and after waiting 30 minutes rolled to the front of the 2 mile long line of cars in the oncoming lane to be greeted by an irate trooper..

I asked him if he wanted me to go back to the end of the line to diffuse the situation,  but he turned and walked away. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2022, 10:09:43 PM »
I dont foresee any benefits out in the rural areas where I live,and ride. Maybe it will be helpful, in Tucson or Phoenix.  I dont think I will ever use it out here in "The sticks" , it may anger some drivers, especially at first, until they get used to it. I, personally, want no part of this "experiment". :wink:
Rick Duarte
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2022, 06:16:29 AM »
Sounds perfect for Phoenix... traffic there is terrible, I certainly wouldn't want to sit in parking lot traffic idling on my air-cooled bike in 115deg temps
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2022, 08:13:47 AM »
It's common now in Austin but mostly because of the influx of Norcal riders.  I don't think it's specifically legal or illegal however. 
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2022, 10:20:59 AM »
I was against lane splitting all my life until I got stuck in Sacramento rush hour traffic in September. I was sketched at first, but under stopped-or-slow conditions it's a godsend. I live in S. Florida so it's hot as heck a lot of the year and it would save a lot of sweat to 'filter up' as they do elsewhere. The senile, overmedicated Yanks are a problem, but would be no more of a problem in this scenario. Glad to see it's catching on outside CA.
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2022, 10:44:39 AM »
“How dare that motorcycle butt in line, despite its small size lending both benefit and disadvantage in different circumstances—I’m gonna do my civil part and swerve in front of him because that’s just not allowed” (has happened to me).

The more lane filtering, the less entitlement car drivers will feel.

It’s a slow evolution of the mindset that I’m glad to see happen after so many years of motorcycles seen simply as toys in the U.S., rather than another form of transportation with both pluses and minuses to their use and deserve their own legal niche of allowances.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 10:46:57 AM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

guido guzzi

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2022, 01:05:37 PM »
It's common now in Austin but mostly because of the influx of Norcal riders.  I don't think it's specifically legal or illegal however.

Had to look it up... It is specifically illegal in TX.
One of my favorite memories of riding in California this July was going 40 when the cars were going 15.  Was surprised to see a few motorists move over to give me more room.  :thumb:
Don't think it would work here in Wisconsin where many still don't know the procedure for negotiating a Roundabout.  :rolleyes:

Offline Kaladin

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2022, 04:22:25 PM »
and deserve their own legal niche of allowances.

Speaking of niche of allowances, I want to put up billboards saying:

"Pedestrians have the right of way because they are frail and vulnerable, NOT
BECAUSE THEY ARE MORALLY SUPERIOR."
First you look where it should be, then you look where it might be, then you look where it won't be, then you look where it mustn't be.  And when you find it you discover "that's where it should have been."
2007 Norge
2000 BMW R1150GS
2003 Jaguar XKR

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2022, 04:40:41 PM »
Personally, I rarely ride on roads with two lanes in the same direction, but I did encounter a head on collision on my way home from the Kentucky rally on a two lane that was blocking the entire road.
I went around the car and semi truck in front of me, crossed to the grass on the left side of the road, went past, and then back in my lane and continued on.

Yes, there were emergency vehicles there, but they were too busy with the wreckage to deal with traffic. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2022, 11:02:19 PM »
Two weeks in Italy and I got very comfortable with lane splitting, everyone on a scooter or motorcycle does it, all the time, moving to the front at a stop sign or light, passing slower traffic etc. Italian’s don’t bat an eye and vehicles simply make way for bikes.
If I tried that here I would get a door opened on me, or be cut off and squished. I tried slowly riding the shoulder a couple years back to get around a dead stopped two lane divided highway accident. Twice pickup trucks swerved to block me from passing. Lots of horn honking and swearing aimed at me.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline Warren Rhen

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2022, 10:51:28 PM »
I'm assuming this new law is not for the interstates, 
It says "where the posted speed limit is 45mph or less. Doesn't apply to any interstate in AZ or probably anywhere else.
Cheers,
Warren
16 Piaggio BV 350
86 Citroen 2CV6 Dolly
18 Dodge Charger R/T

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2022, 11:54:59 PM »
Over (too many) decades I’ve rarely ridden motorcycles where lane splitting isn’t the norm.  Not by design, that’s just the way it worked about and I’d never thought about until now.  I’m not sure how I’d react if forced to stay in line with the cars.

Re the Arizona law, restricting it to roads with speed limit under 45 mph seems to defeat the purpose - clogged multi lane highways are often where it’s most useful, as well as in inner cities…. where it also seems to be illegal in Arizona.  Strange.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 12:02:27 AM by Tusayan »

Offline Utrider

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2022, 12:53:40 PM »
I haven't looked into the specifics of the Arizona law, but I believe that it is "filtering" and not "splitting" that is being permitted.  That is what the Utah law is.  It is used at stop lights and intersections ONLY, not while riding down the highway like splitting.  This has been helpful here is Utah and I usually encounter a couple of upset people at the first of the riding season, then as time goes on they remember we can do it.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here