Author Topic: V7 III rear wheel reinstall  (Read 570 times)

Offline Wes Stephens

• New Egg
  • 03 Cali EV, V 65 SP, 10 V7 Cafe
V7 III rear wheel reinstall
« on: September 27, 2022, 06:43:54 PM »
Hello to all,  I need advice/instructions on getting the rear wheel back on my 2020 V 7 III special.  This is my 4th V7 , V7 Cafe,  V7 classic V7 II Special and this one.  I'v had the back wheel on and off of the previous and keeping he rubber cushions in place wasn't fun but manageable.  Something about the rubber shock absorbers seems different but I'm not sure what.  Maybe I'm just getting inept in my old age.  I think I used to put the rubbers in the wheel pockets first and the slide the wheel on to the drive dogs but that didn't work so I tied them on the drive dogs with thread but that doesn't leave room to get the wheel in position.  I'm stuck Help!! 
Wes Stephens ,, 417 665 8917.   Washburn Missouri.

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
Re: V7 III rear wheel reinstall
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 06:57:28 PM »
The cush rubbers on the V7 III (and wheels) are the same as previous models. Dabbing that grease onto the dogs has always helped with installation when I’m installing the rear. I keep the cush rubbers inside the hub and don’t normally have much issue slipping the lubricated dogs through the spaces.

That and propping the rear wheel on a block or my foot to get it resting in-line with the final drive.

You can do it, amigo!

EDIT: My thoughts are expressed with the assumption that one is using a center stand or some other method of jacking the rear up somewhat with the bike horizontally level.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 03:18:08 PM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 07:14:37 PM »
Provided they are the same rubber blocks that most of the new V7 use.

Glue the rubbers into the wheel with something like contact cement, rubber glue, rubber safe gasket maker or the like. Let set and apply WD40 or a touch of grease to the drive fingers.

A tip I learned here. Get wheel in place, but don't try to get it on the fingers. Try to adjust bike if you can to slide the axle in through the wheel. This would vary depending on how your working with the wheel. Once axle is, just the axle no brake, align fingers and rubber gaps and slide wheel in to fingers. Hold wheel in place and remove axle. Install brake and ect and then axle again.

So far has worked for me, but for some reason, it did not work on one bike. Had to put wheel on into fingers and then axle. Don't know why???

Hope this helps,
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Jack Straw

• Hatchling
  • Laugh More, Live Longer
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 10:16:22 AM »
This job can be a little fussy.  My V7III drive cushions gave me a little trouble the first time I did the R&R on the rear wheel.

On my bike the drive dogs had very small, but sharp burrs on their corners that would grab the cushions and knock a couple loose.  A few minutes with a Dremel tool and sanding drum smoothed 'em up nicely.  A dab of RTV will secure them.

It's handy to have a "shim" of proper thickness to help position the wheel at the proper height as Dirk_S mentioned above.

This job is simple after you do it a time or three. 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 10:16:22 AM »

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 10:33:02 AM »
Jack

A few minutes with a Dremel tool and sanding drum 

................... ..

That's a wonderful idea !    I've been putting grease on both sides of the cushions and they still snag a little .   I'm only on my fifth tire and the burs on the drive fingers never occurred to me ,  THANKS !

2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline Alfetta

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 11:02:12 AM »
Ive only done this twice on my 7iii, not including the last tube fix (see thread "things NOT to do").  The only part i don't like is just how high i have to lift the bike due to the fender shape.  Last time i used a chain fall and it was easy.  I install the axle in backwards to get the wheel aligned with the gearbox, then slide them together.  then slide the axle out and install from the left side...

But after helping a buddy replace a tire on his Vulcan 1400, i will never gripe about the 7 again.  the entire back end of the Kawasaki must be removed. huge PITA !!!
Nothing much better than a Tannat from the Salta region.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2022, 02:18:31 PM »
But after helping a buddy replace a tire on his Vulcan 1400, i will never gripe about the 7 again.  the entire back end of the Kawasaki must be removed. huge PITA !!!

Are you meaning Vulcan 1500, 1600, or 1700? 

If you can lift the bike on a frame lift there is a short cut in lieu of taking off the back end of the bike.  Disconnect the shocks and raise the frame of the bike until the axle and wheel are clear. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2022, 03:03:55 PM »
IIRC I used a blob of super glue to tack them in place on one bike.
Not a lot just enough to keep them in place and would break free easily once under load
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Alfetta

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2022, 04:01:38 PM »
Are you meaning Vulcan 1500, 1600, or 1700? 

IDK for sure,  It's big and looks like an Indian..(Kinda)
Nothing much better than a Tannat from the Salta region.

Offline Wes Stephens

• New Egg
  • 03 Cali EV, V 65 SP, 10 V7 Cafe
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2022, 04:45:26 PM »
Thanks for all the replies,  I made some folded cardboard shims to spread the rubbers and used silicon gasket stuff to glue them in the wheel,
 let it set up and then pulled the cardboard out and got the job done.  The days of doing that in a ditch by the road are over I guess.  I've been there a few times but I was younger and better eyesight,  Oh Well I'm still riding and enjoying all the miles.
Wes Stephens

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here