Author Topic: V7iii Owners, Do Gold Valves Require Shorter Springs?  (Read 412 times)

Offline Juan1

• New Egg
V7iii Owners, Do Gold Valves Require Shorter Springs?
« on: September 28, 2022, 12:27:57 PM »
I'm in the process of upgrading a new-to-me V7iii Milano, and want to put in gold valves.  The RaceTech website puts their recommended spring rate right at the stock spring rate, so I wasn't planning to change the springs. However, when I reached out to RaceTech with a question, they said I'd need new springs since the stockers are too long with the gold valves added.  Is this really the case?  My new V7 is in bad need of preload, and the gold valves I've had in the past take away less than an inch of space.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V7iii Owners, Do Gold Valves Require Shorter Springs?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 02:09:46 PM »
If you need to add preload, then that is what the GVEs will do for you unless they add too much preload. 

If you look up the parts diagram for your forks you can see all the parts in there and see if there is already a spacer. 

I know in the past guys have made preload spacers out of PVC pipe.  Don't know how long that lasted for them. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Off @ 90

• Heron Head Heretic.
  • New Egg
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 03:06:43 PM »
I just trimmed the spacer tubes down to give 11mm preload when installing gold valves . PVC tube would work too if you want to leave steel spacer tubes original. Have you drilled the damper rods yet ?
Duncan

Offline Juan1

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 03:38:08 PM »
I just trimmed the spacer tubes down to give 11mm preload when installing gold valves . PVC tube would work too if you want to leave steel spacer tubes original. Have you drilled the damper rods yet ?

I haven't made the purchase yet, though I will in a couple of weeks.

I followed up with Race Tech and their contact stated that he had incorrect information written down, and that I can just cut the spacer.  Unfortunately, the spring rate is listed incorrectly for V7iii's on the website however, and he made a note for the web team to update it.  All of this is to say I'm back in the market for Rate Tech springs. 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 03:38:08 PM »

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2022, 11:50:24 PM »
HAMLIN is the master of RaceTec.  He knows every trick to make them work correct including some light machining to the internals of the Guzzi forks.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Juan1

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2022, 05:03:47 PM »
Thanks, but I'll handle the install myself.  The best handling bike I've had based on my confident and the lack of chicken strips was an SV650 with gold valves I installed (and repeatedly fine tuned), and a GSXR shock.  Not even my fullly Ohlins equiped Monster could encourage me to lean as hard.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here