Author Topic: Statins - good or bad  (Read 1779 times)

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Statins - good or bad
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2022, 09:55:42 AM »
First doc put me on them, second doc took me off, and when I moved to TX I got a third doc who put me back on them.  My wife liked No. 2 the best!

The only thing I can say for sure is that the weak legs issues is real. I'm on the Crestor generic now and it's not as bad but the Lipitor I used to take you could really feel it.

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2022, 11:17:06 AM »
I’m not typical.  I’ve been a runner for near 28 years, 6 days a week usually.  I cook nearly all my own food.  With the exception of whiskey perhaps more than I should, I tend to be a healthy eater/consumer.  I’m 5’9 and 155lbs so in relatively good shape overall.  This being said, since I was very young (52 now) they’ve known I had genetically high cholesterol.  Without meds it usually runs in the neighborhood of 420ish with greatly too much bad cholesterol versus the good.  I’ve been on statins now for nearly 13 years or more, I think.  I take Crestor and Zetia daily without complications thus far.  In combination they bring my cholesterol down to about 240-260ish.  Still high but I do not yet have diabetes nor high blood pressure and with those numbers all combined, I’m doing relatively well in terms of that chance of an event.  Just saying again, everyone is different and should find her/his own solutions.   :thumb:
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2022, 01:47:27 PM »
I’m not typical.  I’ve been a runner for near 28 years, 6 days a week usually.  I cook nearly all my own food.  With the exception of whiskey perhaps more than I should, I tend to be a healthy eater/consumer.  I’m 5’9 and 155lbs so in relatively good shape overall.  This being said, since I was very young (52 now) they’ve known I had genetically high cholesterol.  Without meds it usually runs in the neighborhood of 420ish with greatly too much bad cholesterol versus the good.  I’ve been on statins now for nearly 13 years or more, I think.  I take Crestor and Zetia daily without complications thus far.  In combination they bring my cholesterol down to about 240-260ish.  Still high but I do not yet have diabetes nor high blood pressure and with those numbers all combined, I’m doing relatively well in terms of that chance of an event.  Just saying again, everyone is different and should find her/his own solutions.   :thumb:

Curious to know how much Omega-3 you consume through your diet. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2022, 02:17:33 PM »
Just my history .... not advice:
May 2001 - 58 yrs old.  Returned from multi day motorcycle ride.  Felt lousy. Made appt with doc.  Next stop ..... University Hospital, Cleveland Ohio.  After open heart surgery, doc informs me I set a new bypass high for him.  Six.  Been on statins since.

May 2016 - 73 yrs old.  After monitoring my aortic valve for several years, my Cleveland Clinic cardio doc said it was time for replacement valve.  During that surgery, they performed a single bypass replacement, and later informed me that 5 out of 6 of the previous bypasses from 2001 were still in good shape.

Bob
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 02:21:26 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2022, 02:17:33 PM »

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2022, 04:21:17 PM »
I'm on the Crestor generic now and it's not as bad but the Lipitor I used to take you could really feel it.

I’m taking the Creator generic, 40mg and they only thing that occasionally bothers me is my legs but only when I kneel down.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2022, 04:25:15 PM »
I've been a statins for 25 years. With two Stent procedures, one heart attack and high cholesterol I think statins are a good idea to say the least. I have been short of breath lately after some strenuous activity so I am expecting more treatment soon. I have a routine appointment with my cardiologist in a couple of weeks, we will see what he says. My wife wanted me to go in two days ago. She just found out that I was having this issue but she is a serious worry wart. I  am 77 so age is catching up to me.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2022, 04:35:47 PM »
Several years ago statins were prescribed for my wife; she could not tolerate them and now takes heavy BP reducers (not sure the name). In early 2012 she had quad bypass and has had high BP for nearly 40 years. Her dad died from heart failure at 54 years.

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2022, 07:38:51 PM »
Moparnut,my biker weightlifter uncle had similar symptoms and didn’t go to the MD and keeled over 7 days later.Listen to your wife.

Online slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2022, 08:43:31 PM »
i was taking Lipitor for years until I ran across a study that said taking it every other day gave the same results. I did that for a year and went for my annual test and the doc said my numbers were they same as last year and it was ok to it because they found it stays in your system longer than they thought.He said I can take it twice a week. So I did that for a year and and the next test was good. Don’t take any less though he said.

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2022, 08:56:00 PM »
The timing of this thread is good since I rated a 14.5% recently.
I know my Doc will want to RX statins but I’m not so sure.
What about COq10? At least in conjunction with a low dose?
I dunno, still thinking about it.
Thanks for bringing it up Tris.
Jack
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2022, 10:33:12 PM »
My wife of 50 years (pause for applause) has had 3 heart attacks and 5 stents since 2007. She is 5' 6" and has weighed between 110 and 120 lbs for the last 5 decades.  She has been on statins for 15 years.  Her side effects are loss of muscle tone and poor skin tone (thin, fragile, easily bruised, etc) but her docs over those years have all been insistent that she continue the statins.

We have met several health professionals (2 RNs and 3 chiropractors) who have survived heart attacks and adamantly refuse to take statins.   Statins clearly are a mixed bag, but where indicated apparently extend one's longevity.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2022, 01:23:38 AM »
The timing of this thread is good since I rated a 14.5% recently.
I know my Doc will want to RX statins but I’m not so sure.
What about COq10? At least in conjunction with a low dose?
I dunno, still thinking about it.
Thanks for bringing it up Tris.
Jack
No problem   but RX and COq10 ???
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2022, 09:07:56 AM »
My wife of 50 years (pause for applause) has had 3 heart attacks and 5 stents since 2007. She is 5' 6" and has weighed between 110 and 120 lbs for the last 5 decades.  She has been on statins for 15 years.  Her side effects are loss of muscle tone and poor skin tone (thin, fragile, easily bruised, etc) but her docs over those years have all been insistent that she continue the statins.

We have met several health professionals (2 RNs and 3 chiropractors) who have survived heart attacks and adamantly refuse to take statins.   Statins clearly are a mixed bag, but where indicated apparently extend one's longevity.

Ralph

Well said.

My doctor of 30 plus years advocated people not taking statins.

Statins are every bit as controversial a subject as three subjects that come to mind which are all banned here.

Huge variations exist in biology and personal reactions to a lot of medicines.  The phrase "Your Milege May Vary!" also often applies to medicine.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 09:09:17 AM by SIR REAL ED »
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Sye

• Gosling
  • Be nice, feel good
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2022, 09:40:30 AM »
I've been on them for 9 years now with no side effects whatsoever. I don't know if they are doing any good or not and that's the nature of this type of medication. Would I be dead by now if I hadn't taken them? Nobody will never know.

Your life, your choice, there's no difinitive answer.

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2022, 03:39:15 PM »
No problem   but RX and COq10 ???

RX = prescribe
COQ10 = coenzyme Q or ubiquinone (an antioxidant that your body produces naturally but decreases with age) Some say they can have good effect when added to statins and others say take it in place of statins.  :popcorn:
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2022, 04:00:31 PM »
I've got some of all of it and take meds, all my numbers are acceptable except my blood pressure fluctuates.  I had BP under control until a quack changed my meds, going back hasn't helped.   I work out 90 minutes, 3 times a week.  My weight is lower than was in 15 years ago. 

I feel OK other than joint and muscles aches: both shoulders, left knee, lower back, right hip, left achilles, both elbows, left thumb.  They start intermittently, go to chronic, then settle back to light or go away. I suppose the hip is the worse, since I learned I broke off a chip of it at one time.  I do regular PT. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2022, 05:09:43 PM »
I've been on them for 9 years now with no side effects whatsoever. I don't know if they are doing any good or not and that's the nature of this type of medication. Would I be dead by now if I hadn't taken them? Nobody will never know.

Your life, your choice, there's no difinitive answer.

also very well said.

we're all riding "murdercycles" so how much sense can anyone have to ask our opinions regarding health?
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2022, 10:00:04 AM »
Make sure that when you have your annual checkup you ask that they include a CK test. After my statins had been changed I had a test and at 8am the following day my GP was on the phone telling me not to take them.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here