Author Topic: V7 II Crankcase Breather Fitting - what type to use?  (Read 322 times)

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
V7 II Crankcase Breather Fitting - what type to use?
« on: September 29, 2022, 04:42:39 PM »
I noticed sometime ago that my breather hose had a crack in it. Instead of purchasing an OEM part that might unnecessarily cost more than it should, I figured on supplying my own fitting, but what do I go for here? It’s an M8 x 1.25 crimp-style. I read that for those crimps you need a special tool. An alternative option is to get a reusable fitting, but I’m not seeing much on Amazon or eBay for that size. I do see M8 x 1.25 barb fittings; would they be just as good? Any certain metal better to use than others—say, brass over steel? Other way around?

Here’s a pic of the fitting:

« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 05:39:12 PM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: V7 II Crankcase Breather Fitting - what type to use?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2022, 05:51:49 PM »
What I did was cut that crimped ferrule off by slicing down its length in a couple of spots then peeled off the ferrule and hose leaving just the barbed fitting behind. Believe me it wasn't difficult. I replaced the hose with automotive transmission cooler hose and used a fuel injection type hose clamp with rolled edges and ears with a screw fastener. No leaks since. That fitting is not pressurized but is covered by / under the oil in the engine, at least when not running, hence the leaking while sitting.

Brian
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 05:53:32 PM by bmc5733946 »
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 06:05:55 PM »
You can cut old hose off & take fitting to a hydraulic hose company. There are lots of places that make & fix hydraulic hoses. Cost a few bucks, cheap. Get SAE 30R14 for all fuels biofuel.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Off @ 90

• Heron Head Heretic.
  • New Egg
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 09:00:02 PM »
Just on an allied subject while you have the breather line off might be of interest. I did an engine oil change a few days ago on the Stornello  and was shocked to see how much water was in the oil mayo not happy.
 I disconnected the breather tubes (4) to rocker covers, air box and sump. Blew compressed air thru air box tube and got a lot of dirty oily water out of open sump tube and blew thru the other lines until clear. I have now installed a small water trap in the breather to sump tube at least I can now monitor and remove any accumulated water. It has been a very wet winter/spring here in NZ. Doing my 20km each way commute obviously not getting warm enough to burn the water off. Need to do an Italian tune up but weather not cooperating still summer not far away hopefully.
Duncan

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 09:00:02 PM »

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 09:45:50 AM »
I didn’t realize I could use the fitting if I snipped off the crimping portion. That’s great. And will indeed check my lines for moisture/blockage. Thanks!
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here