Author Topic: Packing list Alaska trip....  (Read 1939 times)

bobrebos

Packing list Alaska trip....
« on: March 18, 2018, 10:03:49 AM »
Trying to keep it simple but my list is getting fairly big.  Be prepared is the motto though

hydration pack stored in tankbag for water sipping while riding
spot gen 3 Satellite Transponder
tent
tent footprint
sleeping bag
clothes/clothing
cycle boots
shoes
tire plugs
small portable air compressor
gps
iphone
knife (camping)
passport
medicine/toiletry bag
cpap
cpap batteries
battery charger bank (for cell phone)
helmet
cycle jacket
gloves (cold weather)
gloves (warm weather)
tools (Motorcycle)
backpacking cook stove (Jetboil)
coffee cup
Folgers coffee singles
drybags
plastic storage bags
garbage bags
Canadian $
American $
Credit/debit cards
Bear spray
Camera (and extra sd card)
oil filter and one qt 10w60
zipties
lighter
raingear
duct tape
squito dope
tire gauge
passport photocopy
knife/fork/spoon
mre's

Trying not to forget anything..........a nd keep the amount of stuff down!  Getting excited!!!!!  LOL

« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 09:14:46 AM by bobrebos »

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Packing list Alaska trip....
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 10:24:03 AM »
Mosquito repellant
Mosquito screen for tent
Mosquito screen for body
Mosquito screen for

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 10:30:59 AM »
Flip-flops or sandals for the campground showers?  Have you seen the spark plug kit air hoses?  Remove a sparkplug, screw the hose into the sparkplug hole, attach the other end to your tire and crank the engine.  It'll inflate the tire.  They take up less space than a compressor.  I typically just carry a few CO2 cartridges to inflate a flat tire. 

Offline dlapierre

• Gosling
    • Habitat Farm
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 10:52:50 AM »
I find it interesting that communications technology has become such a critical element for travel. 25-30 years ago, or maybe longer, it wasn't available. Similarly, I expect the mechanical abilities of a bike, or any machine for that matter was as reliable. Nor was the availability of help along the way, what with everyone else carrying cell phones and the like. Yet, knowing where we are at all times and being only seconds away from calling for help seems critical these days.
I'm clearly dating myself, but 30-40 years ago when I hunted and hiked in the Rocky Mountains in Alberta alone for a week or two at a time, I had no such technology. The best I could to is let someone know where my truck would be parked when I started out and if I wasn't back within 2-3 days of saying so, come looking.
Now the technology is as the top of everyone's list. Have we lost our real sense of adventure?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 10:52:50 AM »

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 01:13:01 PM »
Your bike has a power take off? With adapters for your appliances? Convenient.

I find a daypack handy - one of those compressible ones from the camping shops. Usually for shopping until the next stop.

A cutting board keeps your food clean. Doesn't take up any space.

Don't forget the duct tape.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline jknight611

• Gentlemens cranks go fore and aft
  • New Egg
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 01:50:22 PM »
Noticed you are retired USAF,  Eielson AFB is a great resource on a trip, made this trip last summer and it was great to pick up a few items.....and mail unused items home! 
1995 Sport 1100
2007 GL1800
2006 Ural Tourist
2010 KLR650
2013 Stelvio

bobrebos

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 02:24:35 PM »
Noticed you are retired USAF,  Eielson AFB is a great resource on a trip, made this trip last summer and it was great to pick up a few items.....and mail unused items home!

Great idea.  Thanks.   :thumb:

Online Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 02:34:35 PM »
I see you are getting the idea of how to handle your retirement! :laugh: :thumb:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline rtbickel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 02:40:23 PM »
Rain suit, zip ties and a lighter.
2020 V85TT
2002 California Special Sport - The Black Widow
2014 California Touring - Stealth (Gone but not forgotten)

bobrebos

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 02:57:04 PM »
I see you are getting the idea of how to handle your retirement! :laugh: :thumb:

Yep, trying to stay busy with events, trips, etc.   :thumb:

twowings

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 03:07:18 PM »
You forgot condoms...

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 03:28:01 PM »

I'm clearly dating myself, but 30-40 years ago when I hunted and hiked in the Rocky Mountains in Alberta alone for a week or two at a time, I had no such technology. The best I could to is let someone know where my truck would be parked when I started out and if I wasn't back within 2-3 days of saying so, come looking.
Now the technology is as the top of everyone's list. Have we lost our real sense of adventure?

I'm sorry to say that you're knocking your head against a stone wall on that subject.   Everything you say is true, but most people these days would leave the house and get on their bike stark naked before they would ride anywhere without a smart-phone, GPS, SPOT, etc.   

I don't carry any sort of communication technology on any trip, and people act like I'm going to Mars without a space suit, as if it's inconceivable to do such a thing.  And will quote examples like "What if you went into a ravine and laid there and couldn't get out.   What THEN, huh?"   That particular contingency is so remote, however ....

Like anything else, it's all perceived risk.   If something is going to Scare You and keep you awake at night, then it's going to scare you, regardless of the statistics.   If it's NOT going to scare you, then you will soldier through it regardless.   I'm sure I'm scared of things that don't bother other people, and I act accordingly.   Being on the road without a phone, however, is not one of them. 

Hang in there!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

bobrebos

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 04:21:57 PM »
I find it interesting that communications technology has become such a critical element for travel. 25-30 years ago, or maybe longer, it wasn't available. Similarly, I expect the mechanical abilities of a bike, or any machine for that matter was as reliable. Nor was the availability of help along the way, what with everyone else carrying cell phones and the like. Yet, knowing where we are at all times and being only seconds away from calling for help seems critical these days.

The danger still exists in the adventure, I just choose to have a way to get emergency help if needed in a life or death situation. 

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 10:56:25 PM »
I see Bear Spray on your list, I believe that's prohibited in Canada, our bears need feeding too.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 11:26:00 PM »
ear plugs
flashlight (add a small one to your zipper-pull)
spare glasses (if you need glasses)
small sewing kit
anti-diarrheal tablets
passport photocopy
more zipties - small to heavy
straps (I don't use bungee)
tire gauge
clothing...  (nothing on your list?)

As to Spot...

I read those several comments about people needing all the "tech" because of fear of the unknown.  That's not the case at all.  Actually, I carry a Spot for the single reason that it gives me a record of where I've been.  Otherwise, I'd be hard-pressed to create a map-trace for any of my longer trips (never having a pre-planned route).  Fear of unknown danger has nothing to do with it.

To that end, it's best to load Spot with fresh batteries or at least carry four spare AAA lithium batteries with you. The Spot web site is limited as to the extent that it saves a long trip (I forget what it is, but it's just a few weeks).  For that reason, you should use spotwalla.com.  It's free and will save all your Spot tracks for when you return.

Online Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 02:38:42 AM »

Being on the road without a phone, however, is not one of them. 
Lannis

Because now my wife does not come with me on the bike now I carry a phone simply to let her know I am (still) ok. I don't carry it for if I get in to trouble. To date, Guzzimodo has always got me there, however, the phone could be useful if the stuff I carry cannot get me to where I want to go.

Also useful for tides and moon phases for fishing at our isolated bach at the sea. :thumb:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 05:03:58 AM »
Ship tires ahead
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

bobrebos

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 05:55:34 AM »
I see Bear Spray on your list, I believe that's prohibited in Canada, our bears need feeding too.

I was told pepper spray/mace labeled as such was not allowed in Canada, BUT bear spray labeled as such, intended for protection only was allowed.  Well....I'l leave it at home if I can verify I am not allowed to carry it through Canada. 

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 07:01:10 AM »
I think you are correct about Bear spray, I just scanned through D19-13-2 around section 20
You are even allowed certain firearms but don't take chances give their 1-800 number a call i'm sure they will tell you what documentation you need.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 08:05:27 AM »
I bought one of these many years ago now. Very useful! The two halves separate allowing you to use the knife and fork at the same time. It's a little pricey, but worth what I spent considering how many years I have been using it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/919954/knives-of-alaska-titanium-super-light-utensil-set

Sadly, this seems to be discontinued. If you could find it someplace, I would highly recommend it. Or, something similar.

Found this on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H637QGO?aaxitk=69TgesFIl7l0-JY.YTtRbw&pd_rd_i=B01H637QGO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3521220862&pd_rd_wg=f00N5&pf_rd_r=11YYPMBEH2TJ31ZRPZ04&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-top-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_w=83t3d&pf_rd_i=Knives+of+Alaska+Titanium+Super+Light+Utensil+Set&pd_rd_r=ecef1ade-fac4-433e-a07c-aa9f2fc7e7a8&hsa_cr_id=2136836110501

In any case, some metal utensils are very handy for a trip.

On another note, I have found Mountain House freeze dried foods to be pretty decent for those times you cannot locate a meal. The beef stroganoff is pretty darn good. Heat the water in the Jet Boil, put the required amount in the bag and let sit for a few minutes. Of all the different MRE's, this is the one I like the best although some others are not too bad either. In any case, I stick with the Mountain House brand.

John Henry   

EDIT: I came across this on Amazon. Looks like it separates into two letting you use the knife and fork at the same time without the need to open and close them:
https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Foldable-Multi-function-Combination-Stainless/dp/B01714Z8PO/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1521465602&sr=8-20&keywords=camping+utensil+set
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 08:24:30 AM by Zoom Zoom »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here