Author Topic: Yep, it's Winter in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 5507 times)

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
Re: Yep, it's Winter in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2019, 11:54:54 AM »
As a born and bred vahmontah, nobody can believe me when I say that I have never been to a ski slope skiing.  The one-two times I strapped on The old 1 piece wooden skis to go "cross country" skiing in the field by the barn between chores, it was more like snowshoeing with the skinniest snowshoes ever.....   It was too expensive even when I was a kid in the 70's and there were always cows to milk and chores that had to be done.  gutter cleaners frozen solid with manure take priority over fun stuff every time.

I did enjoy snowshoeing a lot as a kid.  Sliding on a Travious (sp?) with a big crowd of people is the best.  But now I enjoy winter even more here in SC.  My cousin said it was 6F in Barre this morning.  It's nearly 60F here right now and it only takes a cord of wood for a cozy winter.  That's a good trade. 
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Moto

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2019, 02:04:05 PM »
How do we know , well , everyone gets a bit grouchy  :laugh:

Take a breath fellas , go hug mamma , pet your dog or cat , start planning for rally season , get out a map and plan some routes , go for a walk , visit a friend , post a ride report , read a good book .

Are we good ?

Dusty

I'm good. Grumpy, but good.

I miss the old days of economical skiing too. (How did this get to be the topic?)

More beer, please.

Moto

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2019, 12:21:24 PM »
Yeah, it can be expensive to ski -- always has been. I used to say that if I couldn't do it if I weren't getting paid. As JohnnyVT points out there are still ways to learn on the cheap, and once you're hooked it's easy to rationalize a $900 multi-resort pass that can get you on the local hill AND is good at another two dozen resorts around the country. That's a great deal if you have the time to ski a lot. And there are always good deals around on slightly used equipment or close-outs -- just like motorcycling! Which reminds me, about the time I got addicted to skiing I was also riding my Harley/Aermacchi through a Cleveland winter because I couldn't afford a car.

Talk about extreme weather addiction: Coldest I ever was was frostbiting -- dinghy racing on Lake Michigan in November, bailing slush.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here