Author Topic: True Detective  (Read 7184 times)

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Re: True Detective
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2019, 09:06:13 AM »
, we'll be watching Sopranos, Deadwood, and The Wire

The Wire is excellent , case anybody overlooked it
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2019, 08:03:53 AM »
The series will conclude next week.  In my opinion this season is better than the previous two seasons of the show.  This series is tangentially related to the first season.  IMO the story is more focused and the dialog and situations are better written and more interesting. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2019, 09:32:07 AM »
The series will conclude next week.  In my opinion this season is better than the previous two seasons of the show.  This series is tangentially related to the first season.  IMO the story is more focused and the dialog and situations are better written and more interesting.

I agree. This is good Television...if there is such a thing. Ali and Dorff are both excellent.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2019, 09:44:01 AM »
I have to agree...a great series. I'm already wishing the show ran longer. Oh well, "Deadwood" is on the horizon...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2019, 09:44:01 AM »

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2019, 03:57:48 PM »
I have to agree...a great series. I'm already wishing the show ran longer. Oh well, "Deadwood" is on the horizon...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2019/02/13/ian-mcshane-discusses-hbo-deadwood-reunion-film/2858504002/

PASADENA, Calif. — It's been more than a decade since Al Swearengen raised Cain, swore a blue streak and mastered the corrupt arts as proprietor of The Gem saloon in HBO's dearly missed "Deadwood."

But Al and his frontier brethren will be back this year for a "Deadwood" film that's been talked about for ages, the finishing touch for the acclaimed Western drama that ended its series run in 2006 after three seasons and 36 episodes.

It's been quite a trip back in time and place for Ian McShane, who infused Al with energy, swagger and ruffian charm, making the character a fan favorite and earning the English actor a Golden Globe.

McShane, who plays Mr. Wednesday on Starz's "American Gods" (Season 2, March 10), was thrilled to return to "Deadwood," a possibility frequently discussed but long considered unlikely after such an extended hiatus.

Making the film was "surreal, out of body ... going back 15 years with the people you've loved and worked with," McShane said in an interview at the Television Critics Association.

Filming was completed in December. HBO last year targeted a spring premiere, but no date has been announced.

Did McShane expect the  "Deadwood" reunion would ever happen?

"Not really," he said, rationalizing that even without a closing film, the low-rated Western created by David Milch ("NYPD Blue") "had three great years and (the show) would be talked about forever. … We left it to HBO a long time ago: You get a script and we'd love to do it."

Finally, "they got this script together (and) I think they got it right." .

The film, written by Milch and directed by Daniel Minahan, returns to the frontier town in 1889, a decade after the original series was set, as South Dakota nears statehood.

Lawman and hardware store owner Seth Bullock (Timothy Olyphant) is back; so are Alma Ellsworth (Molly Parker), Trixie (Paula Malcomson), hotel owner E.B Farnum (William Sanderson), Sol Star (John Hawkes), Martha Bullock (Anna Gunn) and others. George Hearst (Gerald McRaney) is about to become a U.S. senator.

"Al's great, but he's a little diminished," McShane says. "Al's had a little too much of that" — he makes a drinking motion with his hand — "over the years. He's not the force he was in the same kind of way."

Even with the passage of time, "It's in a way a continuation from the last episode where he killed the girl (Jen). It’s kind of a memory 10 years later linking into statehood and everything about Bullock," McShane says. "It’s like a reunion, because it's statehood day, Hearst is becoming a senator,  Farnum is greasing his wheels and Bullock now has grown-up kids."

The actor found filming "quite moving and emotional. There was a huge set piece in the middle (and) I was in pieces. I looked around and people were crying," he said, adding that some of the emotion came from getting back together with colleagues after such a long time.

"Everybody brought their 'A' game," he said. "They're such tremendous actors and everybody respected each other's work."

After filming his final scene, McShane said he asked, "'Is that it?' They said that was it. It was over in a blink."

He's happy for the "Deadwood" closure and believes the film will be the final word  on the project.

"Of course, if it gets 150 million viewers … they'll find a way of bringing something back. Who knows?" he said. "It was a trip to do it. It was a pleasure."

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline betres

• New Egg
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2019, 04:29:34 PM »
All of these choices are exceptional.   Anyone remember the tv series from 2010 entitled The Pacific?   Certainly in my all time top 5

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2019, 10:24:22 AM »
Like “Band of Brothers,” “The Pacific” was based on some really great books. “Helmet for My Pillow” and Eugene Sledge’s “With the Old Breed: Peleliu and Okinawa” told the story as it happened. It’s hard to imagine such horror and deprivation. “The Pacific” reveals the war’s realities without the traditional glory attached...as the veterans remember it.

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2019, 10:35:58 AM »
IMO season 1 & 3 are excellent. Season 2 not as much. I just hope they tie up loose ends in 3 with 1 episode left.

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2019, 01:49:07 PM »
IMO season 1 & 3 are excellent. Season 2 not as much. I just hope they tie up loose ends in 3 with 1 episode left.

I'll agree that 1 was better than 2.   But this season is much better IMO.  Ali and Dorf are better than Woody and Matt.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 01:52:49 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2019, 12:25:38 PM »
That finale didn't disappoint.  If not a happy ending at least it was satisfying.  And it took a child's murder originally of black and white circumstances to a final of shades of gray, tragic turns and personal guilt. 

I really think this season caught the nuances of the times and placed it in the dialogue and character development. 

Ironically Ali was winning his academy award when this was on HBO.
John L 

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2019, 02:25:15 PM »
Agreed. I liked it also.

Offline MadMike

• New Egg
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2019, 04:21:07 PM »
Season 3 was excellent. It did not depend on shock value to move the plot forward. Clever ending with a bit of ambiguity: Did Ali's character realize that it was Julie or did dementia not allow for this. Some interpretation needed. Great series.
2013 MG Stelvio NTX, 1975 MG Eldorado,
1991 BMW R100GS/PD, 1976 BMW R75/6,
2004 HD Roadglide

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2019, 08:55:46 AM »
Season 3 was excellent. It did not depend on shock value to move the plot forward. Clever ending with a bit of ambiguity: Did Ali's character realize that it was Julie or did dementia not allow for this. Some interpretation needed. Great series.

I think the answer alluded him at the time, perhaps it will come to him later?  But his son found the address slip and knows that he went there for a reason and that he wasn't lost randomly. 

And we can't be sure that it was actually her in the first place. 

This was so much better than the first two series. 
John L 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here