Author Topic: Good looking 1971 BSA Thunderbolt, CL  (Read 3721 times)

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
Good looking 1971 BSA Thunderbolt, CL
« on: January 18, 2019, 09:05:03 AM »
A very distinguished color combo me thinks, grey frame, tan tank, deep green accent, that's a beauty that'll look good next to the fireplace ......I would just mess up the carb if I owned one to drive

https://newlondon.craigslist.org/mcy/d/norwich-bsa-1971-thunderbolt/6797315658.html

"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Good looking 1971 BSA Thunderbolt, CL
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 09:44:45 AM »
A good deal if it's for real and runs as good as it looks ... no title though so caveat emptor ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 10:59:52 AM »
Hey, Chuck; What is the cut-off date for needing a motorcycle title in CT? That bike is nearly 50 years old. Isn't it 15 years for mc's in RI? A hand written BOS, in ink, is accepted in ME, NH, VT, PA, others? R3~

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 09:01:47 AM »
20 years I believe.....but even if the seller has no title they still need to show possession

For example an old registration with their name on it. They need to prove they have a right to sell it, that you can show the dmv so you can buy it.

A lot of old bikes are sold under the guise of "no title needed", and then at the dmv you get to NOT register the bike. You need to show something of ownership from the seller suggesting their name is attached to this bike. And then their name and signature is now on the bill of sale. Yeah no title needed, but you still need to show proof the seller owned it.

The only solution is a title search or a Vermont registration, then a transfer to your state....at least in Connecticut. I've never had to do that, so that's just what I hear

I'd go into this knowing if you want to go legit on the street, it's a trip thru Vermont fees and registration and then Ct fees, transfer and registration
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 09:01:47 AM »

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 09:46:03 AM »
Titling old bikes in VT is very straight forward. I did a few of mine while I was back up there carving stone 2000-03. There was no need for diligent paperwork of prior ownership, just had to have the VIN verified by the local sheriff to make sure the bike had not been reported stolen.  I did three bikes I bought there (FLH, R69S and Quattro) plus another 1-2 that I brought with me from out of state.

I've not done the process they now offer via mail from out of state, but it all looks believable.  Just understand that the VT DMV in Montpelier is one little office/floor of a small (by outside world standards)  building in Montpelier.   Most states have lots of DMV satellite offices (like one in every county, if not multiples) that are each larger than the entire VT DMV.  Be patient.... The VT registration you will receive is as viable as a title in other states.  You'll take the bike to the new state's DMV for a VIN check, surrender the registration and then proceed to get a regular title.

The cut-off for no title needed in VT used to be 15 or 20 years, cannot remember, then I thought it changed to 1985.  No idea what it may be now.  The state now desperately needs tax revenue, so they'll probably title anything that isn't on the FBI 10 Most Wanted list.... hence the new mail order registration/title service.

SC has recently started offering comparable "no title paperwork" for a real title, which is a big step up from the previous bonded title option.  A friend has done several with no issues and I'll be doing one soon.  SC requires a VIN check by the DMV at the beginning of the process.   You can take a bare frame with a good VIN (original factory stamp and not reported stolen) and get a title.  He's done bikes into the 70's with no problems, not sure what the cut-off is here in SC.  But it's better than the previous GA registration to transfer to SC method.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 10:03:01 AM »
Hey, Chuck; What is the cut-off date for needing a motorcycle title in CT? That bike is nearly 50 years old. Isn't it 15 years for mc's in RI? A hand written BOS, in ink, is accepted in ME, NH, VT, PA, others? R3~

Pennsylvania does not require a bill of sale. The buyer declares the value when they register the vehicle. If the vehicle is 15 years old or older the DMV cannot go by book value. If the vehilce is newer than 15 years and you do not have a valid explination like the vehicle is in need of mechanical repair or a bill of sale and your declared value seems low they can look up and base the taxes owed on book value.

If you do not have a signed title you are SOL trying to get a title in PA. There are some exception like some states do not issue titles after a vehicle reaches a certain age. Then in PA you'd have to provide a vaild registration from that state.

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 10:24:16 AM »
Pretty bike. First year for the "oil-in-frame" models. It matches the chassis on my '71 Triumph. Amal offers Concentric II carbs in a "Premier" version that feature improvements to the slide, float system, and the mixture circuit. Along with an electronic ignition, this makes these old classics a reasonably reliable ride.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Online Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 10:25:30 AM »
Here is an old link to get a VT title. Info may be dated:  http://www.chinonthetank.com/2014/04/get-a-title-with-a-vermont-registration/

Here is a service I used to do essentially the same thing. Got a VT title and plate, which allowed me to get my 2001 Bonnie legal in Oklahoma.   https://www.motorecyclenow.com/ Cost couple hundred bucks. They did the legwork.   You could save money doing it yourself.
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 12:27:18 PM »
I understand the Vermont process, the bill-of-sale process, and getting titles for title-less bikes; have done it many times myself.

The "Caveat Emptor" part relates you paying the money, taking the bike home, applying for a title by whatever process, and having a nice state trooper show up at your house because the VIN is flagged as "Stolen" at some time in the past.   You're out the money and the bike in that case.

Not common, but it definitely happens ....

Lannis

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 01:09:13 PM »
I understand the Vermont process, the bill-of-sale process, and getting titles for title-less bikes; have done it many times myself.

The "Caveat Emptor" part relates you paying the money, taking the bike home, applying for a title by whatever process, and having a nice state trooper show up at your house because the VIN is flagged as "Stolen" at some time in the past.   You're out the money and the bike in that case.

Not common, but it definitely happens ....

Lannis

That's why it's a good idea to ask a friend in DMV or LE to run the vin before you take possession.  I/we regularly do this, especially if we are dealing with real unknowns.  When a seller balks at the idea, demands an instant transaction or such,  that's usually enough of an answer for us to pass.

The only thing that cannot be verified by a check is if it is stolen but not yet to be reported as such to LE.  Supposedly that's more likely with "gotta sell it RIGHT NOW!" Deals.  Now when we check a VIN with the local police, we are reminded that all they can tell us is that it hasn't been reported as stolen but without a title there are no guarantees... 
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 01:55:48 PM »
That's why it's a good idea to ask a friend in DMV or LE to run the vin before you take possession.  I/we regularly do this, especially if we are dealing with real unknowns. 

Knowing someone in DMV or LE that will get into the government system outside the normal process to fulfill a personal request is not a common thing.   I know our county sheriff and a trooper or two personally, but I would not ask them to do that ... If you DO know someone that will, more power to you; but finding such a person is not something that you can just go and decide to do.  So available to very few.

Lannis

Offline bodine99

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 02:39:24 PM »
Very nice, and good to see one taken care of. The wet backs are nice riders

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 03:53:07 PM »
My friend Joseph has one in project condition (engine rebuilt, frame reinforced but needing paint, the rest in good condition) that I'm pretty sure he'd like to part with if anyone is interested. Located near Newfoundland, NJ. It's this color scheme:

Charlie

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2019, 05:19:21 PM »
These two lovely 1968 Thunderbolts coming up at auction next week at MECUM in Vegas... :thumb: :cool: :smiley:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 05:49:20 PM »
"A chrome tank is no excuse for the mechanical thrashings going on below it."
 (read that somewhere):boozing:
That said, I'd LOVE to own one of those beauties
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2019, 07:58:23 PM »
Knowing someone in DMV or LE that will get into the government system outside the normal process to fulfill a personal request is not a common thing.   I know our county sheriff and a trooper or two personally, but I would not ask them to do that ... If you DO know someone that will, more power to you; but finding such a person is not something that you can just go and decide to do.  So available to very few.

Lannis

Deciding to do it and asking is exactly how it's done.  Be honest about the matter, ask politely, don't abuse their time- only ask when serious & ready to buy, not about every casual opportunity- and be patient.  No LEO wants stolen property to be possessed or transferred for any reason within their jurisdiction.   

1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 08:26:44 PM »
Deciding to do it and asking is exactly how it's done.  Be honest about the matter, ask politely, don't abuse their time- only ask when serious & ready to buy, not about every casual opportunity- and be patient.  No LEO wants stolen property to be possessed or transferred for any reason within their jurisdiction.

Hey, if it's working for you ....  :thumb:

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 08:49:53 AM »
That's a nice example of a last year model. BSA was in their death throes in '71. This bike is in my AO, too. Good thing I'm not looking...
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2019, 10:00:32 AM »
That's a nice example of a last year model. BSA was in their death throes in '71. This bike is in my AO, too. Good thing I'm not looking...
Larry

Almost the last year.   They were still active and selling bikes in '72 (minus the Firebird Scrambler).   

DOA in '73.   Triumph took the last A65 twins and badged them as "Triumph T65"s ....

Lannis

Online spmoto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2019, 10:28:32 AM »
https://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/d/portland-1969-bsa-thunderbolt/6798727408.html

Here's another one for you all to mull over. Way up here in Maine but affordable. I know nothing of the bike and have not contacted the seller. Kinda wish I were in the market for a project.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2019, 12:23:51 PM »
https://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/d/portland-1969-bsa-thunderbolt/6798727408.html

Here's another one for you all to mull over. Way up here in Maine but affordable. I know nothing of the bike and have not contacted the seller. Kinda wish I were in the market for a project.

IF GENUINE, that would be a good one, at a reasonable price.   I was expecting it to be a non-runner, but the ad says "runs and rides".

Lannis

Offline changohot

• New Egg
    • http://www.diazandpartners.com/
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2019, 09:28:52 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2019, 10:04:05 PM »
I have a 1967 BSA Lighting for sale in Portland, Or.   https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/d/portland-1967-bsa-lightning-great/6799945105.html

Lovely bike , one of my favorite Brit bikes . If I was 30 years younger and didn't have some nerve damage from running stuff that vibrated I would be interested . Good luck .

Dusty

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here