Author Topic: hollow studs for mounting rear turn signals  (Read 2064 times)

Offline wicks

• Gosling
hollow studs for mounting rear turn signals
« on: November 02, 2017, 01:20:53 PM »
Howdy all. I am changing my 73 V7sport over to the CEV turn signals. I found an OEM set, got the front mount stays new from MGc, and am trying to find the hollow studs in M10/1.5 for the rear signals...I tried to redo old stud with dye, but no-go.

Anyone know where I can buy those rods? Or have an old set lying around? Also can't find them on mcmaster carr, etc...

The originals (Lucas setup) are about 50mm long, dual threaded with a blank spot about 2/3 across the rod...not sure what the original spec was in italy, etc. but am hunting around for a generic hollow stud at M10/1.5/50mm based on the length of the original Lucas installation.

Oh, I'll also have a full set of original Lucas signals and brackets to sell off...all in excellent shape.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 01:22:18 PM by wicks »
---
'77 LM1 / '93 1000s / '73 V7 Sport / '06 Ducati Paul Smart  / '73 Porsche 911s / '94 Porsche 964 Turbo / '94 Defender 90

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
Re: hollow studs for mounting rear turn signals
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 01:33:25 PM »
Someone with a lathe could bore a bolt and make these for you quite easily.  Search around local hobby people.  I made my own for SPII.  I could do it for you but the postage probably is more of the nuisance.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline wicks

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 02:13:57 PM »
Actually tried the front CEV stems and they don't mount as planned - were supposed to go straight into the headlight bucket but M10 is a far bigger thread than the headlight bolt.

Anyone have a reference / diagram etc on the euro spec parts how these CEVs are to be mounted?
---
'77 LM1 / '93 1000s / '73 V7 Sport / '06 Ducati Paul Smart  / '73 Porsche 911s / '94 Porsche 964 Turbo / '94 Defender 90

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 02:49:45 PM »
Our local hardware store has table lamp fixing stuff.  Hollow threaded rods are part of it.  Maybe they'll have a size you can work with.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 02:49:45 PM »

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 04:09:27 PM »
Actually tried the front CEV stems and they don't mount as planned - were supposed to go straight into the headlight bucket but M10 is a far bigger thread than the headlight bolt.

Anyone have a reference / diagram etc on the euro spec parts how these CEVs are to be mounted?

Since the V7 Sport never used CEV signals (only Aprilia and Lucas), you'll have to get a bit creative. If it were me, I make a stem like the originals for the Lucas signals, but with M10 at the signal end.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 04:54:33 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline wicks

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 02:27:44 PM »
Oh wow, I've made a mistake, thought they came originally with CEV. Will be looking for those aprilia ones!
---

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 03:11:17 PM »
Oh wow, I've made a mistake, thought they came originally with CEV. Will be looking for those aprilia ones!

Aprilias won't be easy to find, in my experience. Maybe Lucas like the US delivery bikes used instead? Repros are easy to find of those. Contact Jim/"canuck750" here - maybe he can help.
Charlie

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 03:31:50 PM »
They look very similar to the broken one on a Trident I came across recently. The owner was swearing at Lucas & bemoaning the the fact that it had again broken. You're probably better off replacing the rod with something more reliable than another Lucas unit, but if you want original-looking, try via the Trident/Rocket forums in the UK.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

canuck750

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 11:35:26 AM »
European issue V7 Sport used Aprilia signal lights, great quality cast bodies with sprung lamp holders, of 7/16" threaded couplers to the stems. North American imports got Lucas lights, plastic bodies, much cheaper quality.

There are plenty of Lucas type lights available, MG Cycle sells them. Aprilia are rare, I scour Ebay for them and buy them when I can find decent ones. The Aprilia lens is reproduced, Bevel Heaven sells the, $50 a pop, I make my own repro lens.

The stem mounts for the front are unique to the V7 Sport, I made up a batch a couple years ago but none left. I do have the water jet cut tear drop tabs that you can use to weld up and chrome your own.

Front with Lucas

Rear with Lucas

Aprlia rear

« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 11:38:26 AM by canuck750 »

Offline wicks

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 05:29:15 PM »
Oh thanks so much. Yes, the aprilia ones are very nice. I already have the original lucas set all in perfect shape, thanks though.

Happy to swap if anyone prefers the lucas setup! :)
---

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here