Author Topic: Help needed! V7 fuel filter clamps  (Read 8435 times)

Offline Ambogal

• Gaggle Hero
Help needed! V7 fuel filter clamps
« on: May 02, 2015, 07:30:04 PM »

Nick from New Jersey stopped by on Thursday to help change out the fuel filter but we ran into a problem. 

Got the filter and clamps from GuzziTech but the clamps are too big.   No one in my area has
anything smaller than an "11-13".  I bought a pack of them and they also are too big.   The one that came with the filter are marked "13". 

Does any one know the correct size to look for.   I can't seem to find anything on the internet smaller than "11-13".

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Help needed! V7 fuel filter clamps
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 07:54:23 PM »
Have you tried Lowes, the PEX clamps?  I bought an Oetiker clamp kit and tool on eBay pretty cheap.  But Lowes might have something....

Offline Ambogal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 07:56:47 PM »

No I haven't tried Lowes but I tried Advance Auto, Napa and our local independent auto parts supplier.

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 07:57:03 PM »
NAPA has had the Oetiker clamps I needed.
But I see you tried them. Bummer. Could be Amazon then.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 07:58:01 PM by Idontwantapickle »
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 07:57:03 PM »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 08:03:07 PM »
Stock is 11.7

I would get these much easier to find

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/160895515271?lpid=82&chn=ps

Next size bigger won't tighten up enough.

And you can use them over & over again.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Ambogal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 08:15:57 PM »

Those are the ones that I bought at Advance Auto - they are too big won't tighten up enough. 

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 08:21:54 PM »
I have the same problem with that style.  I've got dozens here that don't fit comfortably.

You might try roll-edged screw clamps if this is a efi V7.  If it's an old school one, standard 1/4" screw clamps should work until you find the 'tween sized ones.

What's wrong with the clamps you had?  If it's a screw/nut problem you can rob them from the ones that don't fit.

That's all I've got.

Stand by for tank pics -- just took some.

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 08:24:45 PM »
Charlie

Offline Ambogal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 09:11:29 PM »

The clamps that were on the stock filter were the kind you have to cut off - not reusable. 

Hey Charlie....I looked at your link to McMaster Carr.   It states offers "fair corrosion resistance".   I wonder if that means it's OK to use
inside the gas tank. 

I was told I couldn't use what I call "standard" hose clamps.  Is that because of pressure from the  fuel pump?

I can't understand why the 11-13 clamps I bought don't work.  They don't even snug up - they just twirl around the hose. The
clamps that were cut off were marked 1113. 

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 10:30:16 PM »

Hey Charlie....I looked at your link to McMaster Carr.   It states offers "fair corrosion resistance".   I wonder if that means it's OK to use
inside the gas tank. 

They'd be fine inside a tank. "Fair corrosion resistance" means they won't hold up to chemicals, road salt, etc. when used outdoors. IIRC, there are stainless steel ones in the same sizes available as well.
Charlie

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 07:17:35 AM »
The correct clamps, part number GU01108490, are Oetiker Stepless Ear Clamp type 505R, size 11,3.  This size is 11.3 mm, not 11-13 mm.  I think that's your problem.  The puzzling thing is why GuzziTech sent you the wrong ones.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

dilligaf

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 07:53:02 AM »
I can't remember the last time I changed a fuel filter, car or motorcycle.   ;D  Not something I tend to get excited about.  One of these days.......... :wife:  When the FI  hoses failed on my 1998 ST2 I was able to purchase everything I needed from NAPA.  :BEER:
Matt

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 08:19:19 AM »
I think AG is doing it now because of concern over the half plastic OEM filters.

I'll probably tackle that on my 13 next winter. I waited about that long on my Breva 1100 and the filter was soft, but didn't seem close to bursting or separating at the seam.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline GuzziKevin

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 09:39:26 AM »
I know this is an unanswerable question but are there any opinions on how long the plastic filter will last? Two years? Three years? One year?

I have 15,000 miles on my 2013 V7 Stone and have had it for about a year and a half. I have a new metal filter from guzzitech but have yet to change it out. I will probably do so with the month but was just curious.

For what it's worth, my filter came with two pairs of clamps, one set with screws that look similar to what guzzisteve linked to and another set that, well, don't have screws. Don't know what you call them but now I just hope that one or the other will do the job when the time comes.
2013 Stelvio 1200 NTX

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 09:43:02 AM »
Call Todd and have him send you the right clamps. He's the one selling the kit he should make it right

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)
1979 HD XLS Sportster (sold)

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2015, 10:15:59 AM »
I know this is an unanswerable question but are there any opinions on how long the plastic filter will last? Two years? Three years? One year?

I have 15,000 miles on my 2013 V7 Stone and have had it for about a year and a half. I have a new metal filter from guzzitech but have yet to change it out. I will probably do so with the month but was just curious.

For what it's worth, my filter came with two pairs of clamps, one set with screws that look similar to what guzzisteve linked to and another set that, well, don't have screws. Don't know what you call them but now I just hope that one or the other will do the job when the time comes.

I don't think there have been more than 1 verified reports of them actually failing..  just looking swollen, gross, and scary upon inspection. Not sure there is really a verified report of it rupturing and stranding anyone??  FUrther, some people report theirs looks fine after many thousands of miles, while some report them squishy and swollen after just a few months...

Best bet is change it to an all-metal unit as soon as you can; take the time to source the correct submersible hose and oteker clamps. 

AS to Ambogalpat...  I am guessing you will have to order the clamps, either get them from Todd, or get them from Amazon... I could not find them locally in my area.
The fuel injection clamps or oteker clamps aren't needed because of higher pressure... it's to protect the hose and fittling.  The oteker clamp tightens all the way around pretty evenly (unlike a worm screw band clamp) while the bolt style 'fuel injection' clamps have a rolled edge so the band doesnt dig into the hose as it's tightened

Good luck!
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2015, 01:07:19 PM »
Keep us posted as to where you get the clamps from. I just purchased a new metal fuel filter, and I have the original plastic filter (I assume it's plastic) in my 2009 V7C.
Ken
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 01:12:17 PM »
GuzziKev, that's why I posted my experience with my 06 B11 and what I'm doing with the V7, to provide a date point.

Fwiw both bikes were/are almost exclusively run on E10 (which is generally thought to be the problem).

I wouldn't think miles would matter, so much as time exposed to ethanol. And I'm my case I've gotten away with it for years.

I'll eventually change it over to an all metal one. If I do it this winter that will be after 3 years.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Ambogal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 04:00:14 PM »

I think I remember reading about more than 1 report of the filter separating on the GuzziTech site.   I'm going to order clamps from McMaster Carr. They have
them in all sizes you can think of. 

2 bikes and both are down now.   Had the petcocks rebuilt on my Ambo since they were leaking.   Guess what......the washers the
guy sent me have too small of an ID and they won't fit on the petcock stem.  By the time they're reamed out to fit, there will be
nothing left of the washer.   Going to order a few of them from McMaster Carr also.   

If it weren't for bad luck - I'd have no luck at all.   Missing some great riding weather coming up starting tomorrow.  ::(

Offline nsmith

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2015, 04:57:35 PM »
as far as the half plastic filters failing YES they will burst into two parts and there you are. This never happens in a good place. Not a hard job to do. Mine is a B1100 2007 original did not have any clamps on the hose and neither does the replacement the hose just pushed on over the belled end of the filter. been that way two years now I guess @10k miles.
Neil formally from South Dakota now living it up in Arkansas

Offline Ambogal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2015, 05:53:44 PM »

I've placed my order at McMaster Carr - One of Charlie Mullendore's favorite sites.   

I'll try to remember to post what happens when I get the clamps and fiber washers. 

Thank to all for your input. 

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2015, 06:49:29 PM »
2 bikes and both are down now. 

Is the T3 gone?
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
'00 Jackal,'89 Mille GT,'03 Cali Stone
4 Airheads, '88 K75,'99 BMW R1100R
___________________ ___________
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Mark Twain

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2015, 09:33:40 PM »
I did the round and round on fuel lines and clamps:

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=70757.0

There is a link in there to the thread by MayorOfBBQ with more stuff.

In a nutshell don't damage the lines and use the Oetiker clamps.

Hunter
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here