Author Topic: California II front tire size question.  (Read 2358 times)

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
California II front tire size question.
« on: February 14, 2019, 03:33:21 PM »
Hello Folks I have been running the same size Shinko tour master on the front of my Cali II as on my  73 Eldorado, 110-80-18.
  I recently mounted up a 100-80-18 on the front of my Eldo, and have been pleased with the way the bike steers,and handles with the slightly smaller tire.
My question is has any one tried that smaller sized front tire on a Cal II? How did it work out? My Cali II has always had a "heavier" feeling to the front end/steering. I am wondering if switching to the slightly smaller front tire will make it steer/handle quicker, like it did to the eldo, or is it not recommended on the heavier Cal II?
  Any opinions, and suggestions much appreciated.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Online Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
Re: California II front tire size question.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 04:22:10 PM »
...Any opinions, and suggestions much appreciated
I cannot speak to your question as to the smaller tire on a Cal2, but I do have lots of experience with both the bikes you've mentioned, which leads me to ask...   Are you running 40psi in the Cal2 front tire?

Offline hidn45

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 12:00:32 PM »
I've run both the 100 & the 110 on the front of our Cali II, & yes, the smaller tire is a little "quicker".  I went to the bigger tire when we were doing a lot more touring, but I think that ship has sailed, & I may go back to the 100 next time.

That can also be confirmed by the previous owner of our particular Cali - he told me the bigger tire would slow the steering down some, & he was right.
Y2K Bassa - "Benedetta" (sold)
1986 Cali II - "Moose"
1977 T-3 [formerly FB] - name TBD

MGNOC member # 22,000

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 12:16:54 PM »
I prefer a 100/90 on Tontis, but a 110/90 on Loops.
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 12:16:54 PM »

Offline Peter949

• PeterCaliII
  • Hatchling
  • 84 Cali II
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 01:33:46 PM »
I tried the 100 size front tire on my 84 Cali II, and the steering was

too quick for me. After it wore out I went back to the 110 size.   Also on this thread, 40 PSI on the front tire for a Cali II was mentioned ??
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 01:39:09 PM by Peter949 »
Peter

1984  Cali II
Aprilia 125 Sportcity Scooter

Offline hidn45

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 03:16:50 PM »
Oh, yes - whatzzis on 40 PSI in the front?  (I had forgotten to ask...)

Peter - that's a fine looking machine you've got there, lovely color.
Y2K Bassa - "Benedetta" (sold)
1986 Cali II - "Moose"
1977 T-3 [formerly FB] - name TBD

MGNOC member # 22,000

Offline Mike Craven

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 05:44:49 PM »
There was a thread a few years ago about Cali II front tyre size.  The 120's seem slow (too much precession torque required).  So this is a very interesting thread and 'hidn45' may go back to the 100 while Peter949 thinks it may be too quick.  I have the highest respect for the Guzzi designers and test riders because this is another case where after dithering and testing I'll probably go back to a 110 tyre (I have the 120 now).  Wish I had the resources to put three sizes on three wheels and take 'em all to a rally for a bunch of folks to do test riding.
Mike
Mike  L-715, Atlanta GA
1983 Cali II

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 11:16:29 AM »
I cannot speak to your question as to the smaller tire on a Cal2, but I do have lots of experience with both the bikes you've mentioned, which leads me to ask...   Are you running 40psi in the Cal2 front tire?

I currently run about 32-35 psi in the front tire on my cal II. Is it advisable to run 40 psi?
  The only bike that I run higher pressures in the front tire is my Lemans IV with the 16" "fat" front tire, where I run 37-40 psi for best handling.
  I never had thought about trying higher pressures in the Cal II, but thats a good idea to try.
Thanks
Rick.

Online Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 12:16:18 PM »
I currently run about 32-35 psi in the front tire on my cal II. Is it advisable to run 40 psi?

Yes; the Cal2 is interesting in that Guzzi gave it the same rim and tire size, front and rear.  I'd recommend 40 psi in both. For sure, 32 psi in the front will feel heavy.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 12:18:01 PM by Daniel Kalal »

oldbike54

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 12:18:22 PM »
Yes; the Cal2 is interesting in that Guzzi gave it the same rim and tire size, front and rear.  I'd recommend 40 psi in both. For sure, 32 psi in the front will feel heavy.

This .

Dusty

Online brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 02:14:16 PM »

I ran a 120 in the front for YEARS because that's what the manual said, but went to 110/90 last time based on the consensus of this board. WAAAAY quicker and lighter steering.

I don't know about that 40 PSI, though, as a way to quicken-up steering. Seems kinda high to me, I would prefer a little suppleness and compliance (and comfort) in my front tire rather than skippiness of a too-hard tire. What's the owner's manual say? What's the tire sidewall say? A Cal 2 won't likely be travelling at high enough constant speeds to warrant a higher pressure, nor will the front tire be loaded enough.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 11:03:50 AM »
Well I guess I am going to experiment a bit, and try higher pressures in the front of my Cal II.
Rick.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 12:25:23 PM »
You'll like running a higher front tire air pressure.  I run 40lbs. in almost all bikes.  The sidewalls will have less flex.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here