Author Topic: LED replacement bulb for V7 III headlight.  (Read 3546 times)

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
LED replacement bulb for V7 III headlight.
« on: April 30, 2018, 08:04:27 PM »
Has anyone here been able to locate a LED replacement for the V7 III headlight? Seems several LED suppliers list a replacement for the V7II but not the III.

Paul
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

Offline Diploman

• "The future just ain't what it used to be." Yogi
  • Gaggle Mentor
Re: LED replacement bulb for V7 III headlight.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 06:55:29 AM »
Any LED bulb listed as H4 should work as a replacement for the OEM halogen.  What you will get with an LED bulb is: far greater lumen output than halogen; a scattered beam pattern, as the photometrics of an H4-optimized reflector do not match the LED bulb's configuration.  Beam scatter notwithstanding, visibility at night is still good due to the massive lumen output but not as optimal as might be expected.  IMO, an LED bulb in an H4 reflector works best as a daytime conspicuity beacon - very visible from many angles.

Arguably the best attribute of an LED bulb is the reduced electrical draw on the bike's system.  Instead of 55/60 watts on halogen low/high beam, the LED will require just 25/50 watts.  Running on LED low beam - still very powerful -will leave plenty of extra juice available for heated grips, heated garments, running lights, etc.

An LED bulb is a tradeoff - it has many advantages for daytime riding, but is not optimal for night use unless paired with a reflector with photometrics designed for an LED bulb. 
1980 V50 II, lightly cafe'd, much modernized
1983 SP 1000 NT (Under Upgrade/Modification)
2015 KTM 390 Duke

Offline Mean Mr. Mustard

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 08:44:57 AM »
Any LED bulb listed as H4 should work as a replacement for the OEM halogen.  What you will get with an LED bulb is: far greater lumen output than halogen; a scattered beam pattern, as the photometrics of an H4-optimized reflector do not match the LED bulb's configuration.  Beam scatter notwithstanding, visibility at night is still good due to the massive lumen output but not as optimal as might be expected.  IMO, an LED bulb in an H4 reflector works best as a daytime conspicuity beacon - very visible from many angles.

Arguably the best attribute of an LED bulb is the reduced electrical draw on the bike's system.  Instead of 55/60 watts on halogen low/high beam, the LED will require just 25/50 watts.  Running on LED low beam - still very powerful -will leave plenty of extra juice available for heated grips, heated garments, running lights, etc.

An LED bulb is a tradeoff - it has many advantages for daytime riding, but is not optimal for night use unless paired with a reflector with photometrics designed for an LED bulb.

Thank you Diploman for this thoughtful reply.
"All the world is a birthday cake. Take a piece, but not too much!" -Beatle George

Offline ejs

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 11:59:46 AM »
 You must measure the clearence behind the reflector. Some led have a very deep cooling system. Specialy some of those with a fan.🚴
California EV 1999

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 11:59:46 AM »

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 12:16:45 PM »
motodemic.com/shop/moto-guzzi-led-headlight-upgrade/
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 12:17:05 PM by Toecutter »
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 12:35:14 PM »
An LED headlight has another advantage over an Incandescent, If you look at the specs it will say something like 9 - 30 Volts meaning they have a built in Voltage regulator, anything over about 9 Volts is superfluous, the light output will not increase so you don't have to worry about Voltage drop or cable size.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 02:38:30 PM »

Exactly why I did my so I can run vest and grip at the same time...

Now I just got to NOT be lazy and instead my grip... :violent1: :coffee:
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline clubman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 02:49:12 PM »
I put an H4 from Cyclops in my V7C about 4 yrs. ago and it has held up great. It was a very tight fit in the shell, so do some measuring before you buy. I think the comment about them being best for daylight use is accurate. I don't ride at nite so I don't care. I would do it again. All lights on my bike are now LED's, so much lower draw.
V7C (gone to a good home),'04 Coppa Italia (Oh my!), OSSA Explorer Street Tracker,'17 KTM 690 Duke, Monster 900S,  KTM 790S Adventure, Speed Triple 1050S (yow!)

Offline ejs

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 04:59:04 PM »

[url=https://This is the led I har on my California EV
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 05:01:37 PM by ejs »
California EV 1999

Offline sgl0226

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 06:25:42 PM »
Contact Enzo at Cadre Cycle in Cincinnati.   He just put one in my 2017 V7.  It took a while for him to find one that fit. 

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 08:32:44 PM »
You must measure the clearence behind the reflector. Some led have a very deep cooling system. Specialy some of those with a fan.🚴

I tried 3 different LED assemblies in my V7 III and all were too deep for the pretty shallow bucket. I installed a relay to run my high beam and driving lights off the high beam switch. Use a yellow halogen H4 bulb to be conspicuous and the driving lights fill in nicely when high beams are on.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 09:23:54 PM »
Thanks for all the responses. Yes, I want to save electrons so I can run a heated jacket liner, heated grips, and a GPS. I don't do much riding at night so I'm not too concerned about LED/reflector mismatch. I will give Enzo at Cadre a call.

Thanks again for all your help.  :bow:

Paul

bpreynolds

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 05:58:46 AM »
Contact Enzo at Cadre Cycle in Cincinnati.   He just put one in my 2017 V7.  It took a while for him to find one that fit.

I was actually the one who told Enzo to get the one for your bike.  It’s a AdvMonster H4 Native.  I’ve installed them in all my Geese and other bikes as well.  Plug and play.  Many miles, no issues whatsoever and at $37.50 a steal. 

http://stores.advmonster.com/native-h4/

Offline BoatDoc

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2018, 06:15:51 AM »
The suggestion to check clearance is key. I went to SuperBrightLED on the web and put in my V7II Stornello information. I chose the first one that popped up and it was too long. The second one, H4-HLV5-M, just fits. The light is brighter and really lights up the street signs.

Offline stonelover

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 07:23:08 AM »
Last September I fitted an ADVMonster Native H4 in my Stone II.  Much better daytime recognition as judged by the reaction of drivers sharing the road!  They appear to actually see me!!  Night illumination is sufficient, but I avoid night forays with Bambi and the 'possums.  Sad to say that the Native H4 is currently out of stock.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 08:30:01 AM »
If the Native H4 fits, then the one I've been using in my Convert and Morini for the last 10 months will too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHMJQCB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Charlie

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 10:55:31 AM »
I was actually the one who told Enzo to get the one for your bike.  It�s a AdvMonster H4 Native.  I�ve installed them in all my Geese and other bikes as well.  Plug and play.  Many miles, no issues whatsoever and at $37.50 a steal. 

http://stores.advmonster.com/native-h4/

Ahhh, thanks!  :thumb:
It's currently out of stock, I sent a note asking when they expect to have it back in stock.

Paul

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here