Author Topic: Motorcycle Towing Insurance  (Read 2836 times)

Offline RayB

• Gaggle Hero
Motorcycle Towing Insurance
« on: May 25, 2015, 08:53:49 PM »
Just wondered what insurance others use for towing. Not that a Guzzi should ever need to be towed!
Seriously though, State Farm doesn't cover me for that and AAA requires you live in certain states for motorcycle coverage.
I'm not an AMA member.

Have never needed to be towed in - ever...but have had to walk one of my bikes a mile or so and had to do roadside tire repairs, etc. I'm old enough now that I ought to consider getting towing coverage.

Give me some good ideas. Sarcasm will be ignored.

thanks
01 EV
82 BMW R100

Offline kevinkaren2011

• New Egg
Re: Motorcycle Towing Insurance
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 09:37:24 PM »
My wife just checked on our AAA policy and it states that we will be reimbursed for services outside our coverage area.

canuguzzi

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 09:46:14 PM »
Geico insurance. They cover towing and their rates are much less than State Farm (we have it for the truck).

Although Flo isn't coming out, their service does a pretty good job. Had very good luck with their insurance too.

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 10:20:44 PM »
I currently have the roadside assistance with my Verizon phone.  it is cheap and covers any vehicle I am in or on (with my phone), including motorcycles, whether or not they are mine.  The towing part will not help a lot, I think it only covers 25 miles or something.  Typically when I need a tow I am so far from nowhere I can't see it. 
I actually have this coverage for my daughter who does not even have a car, but I have seen the cars her friends drive and I don't want her stranded when their PoS rides crap out. 
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 10:20:44 PM »

Offline ken farr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 10:36:02 PM »
Geico.   I think it is an additional 5 or $10 annually.

Probably won't get me too far, but it'll get me off the road and someplace else.

kjf
ken farr
06 B1100 - click!
Fillmore, Ca.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 10:48:53 PM »
The other side of the coin is don't get towing insurance, and be self-insured.  The cost of insurance varies a lot, but I was offered it at something like $50 extra per year on an $80/year Hagerty policy for an antique motorcycle.  I figured that in five years I could afford to pay $250 out of my pocket for towing and still break even, so I declined the towing coverage.  I'm not trying to convince you, just saying that it's worth doing the arithmetic.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

MotoGoosy

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 10:59:57 PM »
Geico.

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 12:40:42 AM »
The AMA service is free if you join for three years and give them your credit card for auto-renewal.  I've used it several times without a hassle.  Was at the airport last Friday and my passenger got out of the car and bumped the electric door locks.  Car sat idling at the curb for 45 minutes.  Last year my Guzzi EV had a timing sensor error and it came home on the hook.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 06:14:29 AM »
A few years ago I was in Canada when my D&%@@*i blew up.  I had Progressive with their towing.  Bottom line, the roaming charges on my cell phone ended up being much more than the small reimbursement I got from Progressive.  I was only about 20K from a city of some 50,000 so not really in the middle of nowhere.  I'd love to find a policy that would pay to tow to the 'nearest dealer' since it's not unusual for that to be 100 or more miles away, far beyond what most towing endorsements will cover.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

dilligaf

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 06:21:10 AM »
AAA.  Have used it in US and Canada.

:BEER:
Matt

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 06:24:25 AM »
I'd love to find a policy that would pay to tow to the 'nearest dealer'...

Someone told me that Foremost insurance offers towing coverage to the nearest dealer.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 07:41:09 AM »
If you want unlimited towing then try Good Sam's membership.  $90/yr, unlimited towing to nearest dealer/service center.  Have never had to try it so don't know how reliable but they have a great reputation.

Also don't know what they would consider a Guzzi service center.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline kevinkaren2011

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 08:04:44 AM »
Our main goal for a towing service is to get me off the road whether on an interstate highway or in congested traffic. The AAA membership will get me 100 miles so that should be more than enough to get it to a friends house or a bike shop, someplace secure where I can trailer it home.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 08:06:07 AM »

I'm not an AMA member.

thanks

Not hard to become an AMA member.   I used to use AAA but they harassed me to death with mailings and spam.    AMA coverage is free if you pay automatically every year, which I do anyway for convenience.    I've used it a couple times when I was driving old cars and it worked well ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline jknight611

• Gentlemens cranks go fore and aft
  • New Egg
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 08:18:52 AM »
I used the towing coverage that came with my 13 Stelvio, coverage was for $300 transportation.  That worked good enough that I added it to our Progressive policy.  I had them tow (rollback) the bike to the airport, put the bike in the parking lot then rented a car to go home and get my truck an trailer.  Got quite a lot of attention from the local airport security (TSA) till I explained what the situation was.  The bike enjoyed excellent security till I could retrieve it.  Failed cam angle sensor, fixed under warranty. 
1995 Sport 1100
2007 GL1800
2006 Ural Tourist
2010 KLR650
2013 Stelvio

MotoGoosy

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 09:42:48 AM »
Ran out of gas on the freeway.  They came right out with 2 gals of gas, and I was back on the road immediately.  No charge. :bow

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 09:58:01 AM »
I had to call Progressive for a charge on the Norge due to a loose bat tree connection. They sent a guy out and called me back to let me know the expected time of arrival.

Honestly, if I determine that there is a serious problem with the bike, I just need a tow to the nearest U-Haul dealership.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here