Author Topic: Site Ad Issue?  (Read 2166 times)

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
Site Ad Issue?
« on: September 24, 2017, 09:52:35 PM »
The ad with the red arrow seems to make the page snap to the add making it hard to read the message. This was mentioned before.

This problem has become so bad, not this time, that my PC locks up so bad that I have to restart. With the lockup, Firefox is locked so bad that I have to do the 3 finger salute as well as close for about 5 minutes before I can restart.

Am I the only one with this bad a problem?

Tom

EDIT: When the main page reloaded after I pressed Post, I got snapped to the bottom of the main page by the same ad. The ad doesn't seem to load, just a black ad space.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 09:56:16 PM by Tom H »
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

oldbike54

Re: Site Ad Issue?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 09:53:53 PM »
 Change to Chrome .

Dusty

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 10:20:08 PM »
Update, I had to close Firefox since the ad was slowing down the browser. I came back to do a reply, that ad is not showing this time, and no problems.

Some thing with that ad??

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

oldbike54

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 10:54:07 PM »
Update, I had to close Firefox since the ad was slowing down the browser. I came back to do a reply, that ad is not showing this time, and no problems.

Some thing with that ad??

Tom

No idea , I just know some of the guys have problems with Firefox . Chrome seems to solve the problem .

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 10:54:07 PM »

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 11:07:55 PM »
Dusty,

Without that ad, everything is fine here.

I played with Chrome once some time ago. When I loaded it, I looked at it, it looked at me and we both wondered if I was ever going to figure out what to do with the blank screen. Couldn't find anything to click on for bookmarks or the like. Maybe it's better now? May have to try it again??

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

oldbike54

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 11:25:41 PM »
 Tom , it is necessary to remember that all of this is magic  :shocked:

No idea why Chrome didn't work for you , it's about all I've ever used , and I am a complete computer illiterate .

Dusty

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 12:23:04 AM »
Tom , it is necessary to remember that all of this is magic  :shocked:

No idea why Chrome didn't work for you , it's about all I've ever used , and I am a complete computer illiterate .

Dusty

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - Clarke's Third Law.

As a computer security and privacy kind of guy, I don't use Chrome. If Firefox doesn't render it properly or has issues, the first thing to do is try it in Firefox with the plug-ins disabled; they cause more problems than the main program does.

If it still doesn't work, the problem is almost certainly with the source. That's not to say Firefox doesn't have problems, just that the people making up all these adds and other stuff do have problems and do often make assumptions (like if they check it with their own browser, that's enough to prove it works with all browsers).
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 03:27:14 AM »
I thought this was going to be about that politically-based ad I saw here.  There was a banner ad at the bottom of the Dingess Tunnel topic saying to the effect of: 

President Trump has revoked US involvement in the Paris Climate Accord.  Do you agree with the order? and then a yes/no poll. 

What's up with THAT?

Online StuCorpe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 07:57:32 AM »
I haven't seen any add with a red arrow or had any of the problems you are describing. Using Firefox (55.0.3 64 bit) on Win10 and same version Firefox on Win7. Don't know if this helps answer any questions just for general info.

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 09:52:59 AM »
I posted about this a few weeks ago.

If you're using Firefox, you can use ABP, (Add Bolck Plus), a FF add on, and that will solve the issue. I have had no more trouble like you described since I installed it.

John Henry

oldbike54

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 10:55:29 AM »
I thought this was going to be about that politically-based ad I saw here.  There was a banner ad at the bottom of the Dingess Tunnel topic saying to the effect of: 

President Trump has revoked US involvement in the Paris Climate Accord.  Do you agree with the order? and then a yes/no poll. 

What's up with THAT?

Just one of those things that slips thru on occasion , it probably won't ever appear again .

Dusty

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 02:01:04 PM »

If you're using Firefox, you can use ABP, (Add Bolck Plus), a FF add on, and that will solve the issue. I have had no more trouble like you described since I installed it.

John Henry

I will try that. The problem I have does not happen often, just once in a while with certain ads.

Thank you,
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 11:21:36 PM »
This is the one that seems to give me problems:

images uplod

I plan to try the ad blocker.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 11:51:01 PM »

John Henry

I just installed this and seems do what you and it's write up claims. Thank you!!

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

oldbike54

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 11:58:38 PM »
 Weird , Ed's ad has been running here for years , never heard of anyone having a problem with it .

Dusty

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 12:08:10 AM »
With 2 pc's running XP SP3, both had lockups that took them down. I always try any close option as well as the 3 finger salute. Almost went for the power button. Not the first time this has happened, at home at least.

Now it may be odd that this image of the ad had been on the screen when both pc's were taken down. Even had the snap to the add issue when they went down. When I took a pic of the suspect ad on my phone to post, it didn't take my pc down this time. Maybe didn't stay on it long enough????

This is not a bitching about ads just to be clear, but if a ad is causing a problem due to bad coding?? or the like, it needs to be fixed.

Thanks for listening, and the blocker even keeps this site from trying to reload itself. Different issue from the lockup.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 03:30:13 AM »
Don't blame the coders.  If you're running XP, this is to be expected.  Not knocking XP -- it was my favorite MS operating system.  But it's been obsolete for years.  Even my W7 machines run into compatibility issues on the net.

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2017, 04:27:56 AM »
I just installed this and seems do what you and it's write up claims. Thank you!!

Tom

You're welcome. Just an FYI, this was not the only site I was experiencing this on. It was driving me nuts too.

John Henry

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 06:14:54 AM »
Planned obsolescence.
Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 12:39:13 PM »
Weird , Ed's ad has been running here for years , never heard of anyone having a problem with it .

Dusty

I looked again at the pic I did. Ed's ad is not the one that gave me problems. It seems to be the black ad with the red arrow in the RH upper corner.

With the blocker, all is well.

Thanks again,
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
2007 HD Street Bob

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here