Author Topic: Eldorado and the quest to ride a Moto Guzzi for the first time.  (Read 95857 times)

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: Eldorado and the quest to ride a Moto Guzzi for the first time.
« Reply #270 on: March 04, 2020, 08:38:27 AM »
What happened to the Yahoo Loop list, is it still online ?

The Yahoo group was moved here: https://motoguzzi.groups.io/g/LoopFrames
Charlie

LesP

« Reply #271 on: March 04, 2020, 06:26:42 PM »
That all worked out well, the gauge port will also be used to inject oil before the first start.
The sealing washers got a wipe with WellSeal both sides.

Yes those are brass washers on the generator cover and generator bracket clamp pins.
A PO had tightened the generator plastic cover bolts until the small washers had imprinted the cover, I guess in an effort to stop them loosening.
The new washers cover the damaged area's, under the washers are collars that the 6 mm bolts pass through, they bare on both the threaded bracket and the washer so when the bolts are tightened there is no compression for loosening, the cover is retained by default......... in theory.

Final generator to bracket seating done and torqued to 30 n/m.
The holes have deep M8 thread inserts, custom M8 /1.25 studs and the Nylocs are the taller version.
The studs also got Loctite 660 to fill any voids between the threads.
Although firm they should still be removable with effort.
I am hoping for fit and forget.

LesP

« Reply #272 on: March 04, 2020, 09:49:35 PM »
A bit late once the bolts have been over tightened and the plastic has fractured but......
The neutral switch on the gearbox is little different, nothing stopping the plastic being over compressed.
Soldier on........

The new springs are in the VHB's with their custom machined slides (Euro 948 cc jetting) and the throttle action is very light but the threaded adjusters on the 1 into 2 junction's have no recess for the upper cable so it flops around.
Add it to the list, remove them and machine something so the cable end is supported/captivated.

I have to wonder again why the air box removable panel is at the front and not the rear so even a filter replacement would be a simple operation.
In saying that the air box is easy to install and the fit to the rubber boot is perfect if not better than that, I would modify the air box but it is original including its black paint.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #273 on: March 04, 2020, 09:57:05 PM »
If you haven't already, cut a 1" wide slice out of the rear of the generator cover. Two halves are a lot easier to get on and off, plus they don't stress crack as bad as a 1 piece cover.
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #273 on: March 04, 2020, 09:57:05 PM »

LesP

« Reply #274 on: March 05, 2020, 01:38:51 AM »
You mean cut it in half  :undecided:
I couldn't, generator wires attached and the cover went back on easy with the throttle and choke 1 into 2 housing out of the way.

Unlike before, this time all the bolts went in with room to spare and no forcing it, there are some cracks but it is in good condition for its age.

I raided some NGK caps (LB05F 8051) and leads from the Norton parts bin but the Eldorado having a distributor means shopping for some more bits to have a HT lead from it to the coil.
Eng Kev did influence me with the Dyna, it might be just extra weight and wires.  :laugh: but will need mounting.

I forget what I posted on the distributor in the past.
Stripped, new felt, end float set with a machined shim, new points and condenser, that cap is NOS I think as is the rotor and will try that Dyna.
I did face the pad in the lathe and machined a brass cup with as large a seat as could be fit for the locking capscrew.

I brought my timing light (and leak down tester etc) back on the last trip to NZ so can set the timing.

LesP

« Reply #275 on: March 05, 2020, 01:57:36 AM »

LesP

« Reply #276 on: March 05, 2020, 02:28:40 AM »
If you haven't already, cut a 1" wide slice out of the rear of the generator cover. Two halves are a lot easier to get on and off, plus they don't stress crack as bad as a 1 piece cover.

I followed what you said as far as the fuel tank that was moving side to side and around on the mounts.

It already had new ish rubbers with the original top hat inserts and had got a new set of MG Cycle.
I put the new rubbers on the steel inserts reversed so the flanges were snug against the frame, a small section of the inserts stuck out (now on the outside) so I took the rubbers that were in the tank before and cut the flanges off them which then went over that stick out nicely and then large thin stainless steel washers.When bolted up the tank is firm but still moves on the rubbers.

LesP

« Reply #277 on: March 06, 2020, 10:38:21 PM »
Update.. It was a nice enough day to go out on the bike so spent an hour or so at big automotive stores trying to find a right angle brass HT terminal and rubber boot for the ignition coil with no luck.
They simply do not have that sort of thing even if it is listed online.

The (older) parts guy nearly laughed when I asked if they had black HT lead off the roll.  :laugh:

Looks like they will have to be an eBay purchase or more online searching and a trip to the city.

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #278 on: March 07, 2020, 12:47:22 AM »
LesP,

I have not read all of this post, if you need copper core plug wire, I have a bunch. No coil 90 degree, but I think I have straight. For a cap, find a 7mm cap and wrap tape around the coil to seal it. Did that for my distributor.

If your in the USA, I might be able to send some.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

LesP

« Reply #279 on: March 07, 2020, 04:25:19 PM »
LesP,

I have not read all of this post, if you need copper core plug wire, I have a bunch. No coil 90 degree, but I think I have straight. For a cap, find a 7mm cap and wrap tape around the coil to seal it. Did that for my distributor.

If your in the USA, I might be able to send some.

Tom

I had (Norton) Pazon ignition kits on the shelf so raided them for ignition parts so have NGK right angle spark plug caps (LB05F) and enough HT leads that have a crimp on one end that fit the distributor cap but ideally I need one right angle brass terminal and boot for the coil. (Being all spark plug wires one end has nothing on it)
I will see what I can find Monday with a trip to the city, be it a terminal and boot or better enough parts to make what I need from scratch.
Thanks for the post and offer of help.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 09:34:38 PM by LesP »

LesP

« Reply #280 on: March 07, 2020, 04:56:40 PM »
The taps were good but squeaky, cleaned with a tad of rubber grease on the selector face.

Brass 0.5 mm sealing washers, with some nut juggling the one with a rust spot was moved to the underside out of sight...two for one.

LesP

« Reply #282 on: March 07, 2020, 08:39:46 PM »
The bike came with these fittings, two feeds and a balance.
I went to single feed fittings on the carburetors and this will be the cross over.

Fuel hose will be Made in Italy 'green Ducati.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 11:06:19 PM by LesP »

LesP

« Reply #283 on: March 08, 2020, 10:09:44 PM »
I went out this morning and got a set of carbon core HT leads that I will cut and fit the NGK caps to, that will will do for now but with a straight end (all they had) out of the coil the lead might foul the generator cover......... I could relocate the coil.
In the mean time its back to something to restrain the Motobatt MBTX30U ($250 in AU !) so pulled the battery tray back out of the bike.
When I had refit the tool box's before, instead of steel/paint on steel I machined some washers.

On the outer side of the rear fender, a brass washer, a nylon washer between the tool box and rail it sits on, on the inside of the box, a fibre washer, another brass washer and a Nyloc.
Deadly... firm but not over tight.

The washers under the inlet manifold capsrews are brass, I tried to find a decent Bakelite rod to machine new heat insulators for under them  (As came stock) but had to use the modern replacements which are compressible fibre.
Moto Guzzi seemed to go to a bit of trouble to reduce direct heat soak from the cylinder heads into the manifolds.

It has so many brass washers it might lose a few mph.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 10:12:23 PM by LesP »

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #284 on: March 08, 2020, 10:28:23 PM »
It's a fascinating story Les. Who would have thought that Guzzi would use Bakelite washers :grin:
Don't worry about losing speed with brass washers; just wear Red Socks :thumb:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

LesP

« Reply #285 on: March 09, 2020, 06:05:48 AM »
Fascinating and true.  :grin:
I had to dig the device out for checking the carburetor sync, with some luck it will be put to use.

I also got a email asking if I want to sell my 2211 mile 1974 TR5T....

LesP

« Reply #286 on: March 09, 2020, 06:32:00 AM »
Spread the word, I will also have a 1954 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe available and a 2007 1100S Hypermotard.

LesP

« Reply #287 on: March 09, 2020, 03:57:18 PM »

LesP

« Reply #288 on: March 11, 2020, 12:09:03 AM »
By crikey, over 1000 views since last week in a thread that is slower than drying paint.

I can report that working on British bikes (since 1979) and Italian bikes (since 1983) that they have little in common as far as engineering and concept thinking in general.

I changed the oil on the Triumph TR5T which included removing the (unobtainium 1974) air box to get at the drain in the rear of the top frame tube which stores the oil.
No such silliness on a Moto Guzzi.

On return from the oil shop my Norton watch had arrived from the UK.
I had placed my order just in time because Andover Norton / UK turned into the fun police and stopped the vender selling them due to the 'green blob likeness.
Although not a big watch wearer still will do nicely being the likeness of a Norton Commando Smiths speedometer.

I'm sure Charlie M and Mr Adams would love a Moto Guzzi loop inspired watch.  :laugh:

https://yourwatchdesign.co.uk/

LesP

« Reply #289 on: March 13, 2020, 01:29:04 AM »
That's that, gave the TR5T a full service and going over.... It fired up first kick, took a spin around the neighbourhood and took a couple of pic's.
Money is in the bank, new owner is happy and it gets transported south next week.
You would be hard pressed to find a better original one.

Its back to the black bike, there was plenty of 3 mm felt left over from the the new distributor felt replacement so a suitable piece was cut for the tray base and sides.

LesP

« Reply #290 on: March 15, 2020, 06:11:32 PM »
I have interest in the Sunbeam (have 2) and my 1957 TR6 but that is not for sale.

Yesterday was riding with mates, given they were on big inch cruisers, a 1973 Eldorado would most likely be moe fitting than a Africa Twin DCT..... one day.
A great day all the same and an easy 500 kms.

The $2 fuel hose junction is good. (4 port T)

Back to the other bits, maybe I could fire it up end of the week.

LesP

« Reply #291 on: March 17, 2020, 01:41:41 AM »
A Motobatt MBTX30U is $250 here so its needs to be restrained, the side covers should hide this billet stuff... I made a wooden strap similar to this alloy one first but it looked more like something I made in 'Woodwork class 1973.
Sometimes a bad idea is just that in reality.  :laugh:

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #292 on: March 17, 2020, 04:24:37 AM »
Never mind your woodwork Les, I did some for my bike and it Broke In My Hands :cry: :cry: :cry:
Signed,
balvenie; Woodwork class 1960
Oz
04 Cali

LesP

« Reply #293 on: March 17, 2020, 04:33:33 PM »
 :thumb:

First thing this morning was the truck arriving to pick up the now with 2213 miles on the clock 1974 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail.
It might be the best original 1974 model in Australia and still a first kick starter.

Good bye ' little buddy.  :grin:

LesP

« Reply #294 on: March 17, 2020, 05:21:57 PM »
Something needed to attach the cross bar to the battery tray, couldn't see anything to buy....

Let's go.

Air hostess Jackie got me a whiteboard which is still handy.

12 mm round at 187 mm long, forget the alloy grade but tough.

LesP

« Reply #295 on: March 17, 2020, 09:08:50 PM »

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #296 on: March 17, 2020, 10:35:35 PM »
Very pretty Les :thumb:
Oz
04 Cali

LesP

« Reply #297 on: March 18, 2020, 01:29:02 AM »
I think there was a piece of angle iron holding the battery down when I got the bike but to long ago to remember.

With the shoulders on the studs, when the nuts are tightened the top clamp rests on them securing the battery (felt under the top bar and in the tray) but can not over compress it.
Fit and forget I hope.
The plate (original black paint) and battery tray can go back into the bike (again)

LesP

« Reply #298 on: March 18, 2020, 02:15:07 AM »
Radius form tool and end prep for live centre/center.

M6 to attach to tray.
A modified M6 bolt (upward) holds the tray to the frame plate, a brass insert in the tray with a M6 thread holds the tray down, the M6 thread above the insert (25 mm of) threads into the hold down studs.

M8 - 1.25 die nut.

Live centre/center radiused form tool.

10 mm hex... 0° - 60° - 120° - 180° - 240° - 300°

LesP

« Reply #299 on: March 18, 2020, 02:29:03 AM »
The chrome will get you home, if you fix the other bits too.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here