Author Topic: Eldorado and the quest to ride a Moto Guzzi for the first time.  (Read 95892 times)

LesP

Re: Eldorado and the quest to ride a Moto Guzzi for the first time.
« Reply #300 on: March 18, 2020, 07:10:18 PM »

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #301 on: March 18, 2020, 08:55:44 PM »
Nice!  :thumb:
Charlie

Online balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #302 on: March 18, 2020, 09:00:51 PM »
Lovely :grin:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

LesP

« Reply #303 on: March 18, 2020, 10:37:02 PM »
 :thumb:

I need to make something to mount the oil gauge..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXm2lXIqYHo

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #303 on: March 18, 2020, 10:37:02 PM »

Online balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
Oz
04 Cali

LesP

« Reply #306 on: March 20, 2020, 03:36:21 AM »
 :thumb:

Online balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #307 on: March 20, 2020, 03:58:25 AM »
Well, that's Class if you like :bow:
Oz
04 Cali

LesP

« Reply #308 on: March 20, 2020, 05:09:46 AM »
My first go at making knobs.  :grin: ....... and that rubber gasket has been there since 1973 most likely so it can go another round.

I rebuilt the VHB 29's with all new parts including the new slides I machined to the '1000 Euro spec cutaway, I am going to remove the new white floats though and put the original brown floats back in.
I got new slide spings off Mario and have to say the action is very smooth and no harder to turn than the FI bikes I have (They do have 1/4 turn throttles unlike the Eldorado which looks to be around 2 turns)

The cable hung down out of the 1 into 2 junction because the recess it goes into is only a few mm deep ? ........... not now, this cap will press onto the adjuster end and support the cable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxoGvBQtjpM

Offline Rick4003

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #309 on: March 20, 2020, 08:25:53 AM »
Les, That is probably the nicest looking battery clamp and tray in existence :grin:  :drool: Very nice work, love the radius on the stay bolts.
Moto Guzzi 850 T5 (850 sport) - 1985
Moto Guzzi Ambassador - 1967
Yamaha FZR 600 - 1996 - SOLD

LesP

« Reply #310 on: March 20, 2020, 05:36:56 PM »
I think that radius tool cost NZ$20 nearly 20 years ago and threw it in with other bits (22 kgs worth) on one of the trips last year.
It came in handy again on the cable support cap which works well.

That radius cutters first use was on a TL1000 clear clutch cover on the outer surface way back in 2004.

I forget where I saw it the other day but someone made windowed Moto Guzzi rocker covers so you can see where the clatter is coming from.  :laugh:

LesP

« Reply #311 on: March 20, 2020, 07:32:08 PM »
Saggy cables can make for PITA carburettor synchronisation.

A bit of boring on the lathe and a spin on the rotary table and another support cable for the cables from the 1 into 2 junction to carburettors.
This cap will press over the original cap.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 08:05:51 PM by LesP »

Offline pmillar

• Gosling
« Reply #312 on: March 20, 2020, 09:09:56 PM »
I think that radius tool cost NZ$20 nearly 20 years ago and threw it in with other bits (22 kgs worth) on one of the trips last year.
It came in handy again on the cable support cap which works well.

That radius cutters first use was on a TL1000 clear clutch cover on the outer surface way back in 2004.

I forget where I saw it the other day but someone made windowed Moto Guzzi rocker covers so you can see where the clatter is coming from.  :laugh:

Now there's a blast from the past - original owner of a '97 TL1000S. Purchased a clear cover for it some time in the mid-90's. Beautiful work.
Ann Arbor, MI
'73 Eldorado
'97 TL1000S
'00 TTR250

LesP

« Reply #313 on: March 20, 2020, 09:26:15 PM »
Now there's a blast from the past - original owner of a '97 TL1000S. Purchased a clear cover for it some time in the mid-90's. Beautiful work.

I remember your bikes from TLPlanet being in Ann Arbor.

My Moto Guzzi experience didn't quite go to plan.  :laugh:

Online balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #314 on: March 20, 2020, 10:36:00 PM »
Les, that link to Big Mamma Thornton was Great :grin: :grin: :grin:
Oz
04 Cali

LesP

« Reply #315 on: March 21, 2020, 04:32:03 PM »
Quite the lady but the 'drink got her in the end.

#

A change of plan of course since I had plenty of those rubber (whatever they might be called) so did two more for the adjusters to suit them.
A little bit of old with a little bit of new.

Online Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #316 on: March 22, 2020, 08:06:57 AM »
Your standards are so high ! Nice cable holder too...is that a standard Guzzi part or self made ?

LesP

« Reply #317 on: March 22, 2020, 05:10:38 PM »
Your standards are so high ! Nice cable holder too...is that a standard Guzzi part or self made ?

The main body is all stock Moto Guzzi, I just pressed those machined alloy bits onto the stock end cap and threaded adjusters to support the cables so they did not droop as before.
I have found in the past in general if the cable ends are happy, slide synchronisation is pretty much set and forget.

I could have machined a complete new 1 into 2 unit but the main part of the old one had nothing wrong with it.
Having a small mill and lathe makes these sort of things easy, near impossible without.

LesP

« Reply #318 on: March 22, 2020, 06:58:58 PM »
It is easy to remember back to when I never had luxuries (like a small mill and lathe)

I remember a very good friend (R.I.P) and motorcyclist who had a shop with all manner of tool room equipment, this is a long time ago.
He said have a go on the lathe and was somewhat surprised to find me using a pencil to mark a piece of alloy bar then machining up to the mark, his advice was good to this day and suggested using the incremented dials which would make things easier if not more accurate.
He was right. (Thanks Jim  :thumb:)

I could stick something (a drill ? ) under the slide to get them close to synchronised or for 5 minutes time @ 28.95 mm OD and  5.2 mm high.  :laugh:

My hope is it will start instantly with a sniff of petrol and spark.

LesP

« Reply #319 on: March 22, 2020, 07:34:23 PM »
Egads.

6.8 mm OD by 6.8 mm deep with a 6 mm bore.
I need to put (machine) something under those original carburettor cap bolts (Never had anything)

LesP

« Reply #320 on: March 22, 2020, 07:37:26 PM »
Nothing is to much trouble for this bike and how odd is it when your favourite bike is one you have never ridden.

LesP

« Reply #321 on: March 22, 2020, 11:35:26 PM »
One tube insert in the throttle so no more flop there either.
This one is a sliding fit and should stay put.
The first one was a firm push fit and with no slit for the inner cable would have been interesting if the cable needed replacement so it was make another.
The overall throttle action is Super (Pratic) so worth the screwing around (9 machined pieces overall, choke and throttle)

The bike had separate choke plunger kits when I got it but got a stock unit off eBay but as it turned out a pin was missing to stop it rotating.
I could have machined something not worth machining like tapping the body M4 thread and machining a M4 fastener to have a 3 mm step down shank to fit the 3 mm hole in the brake perch.
Instead I went full on bogan, carefully battery drilled the perch with an old 1/8" drill (3.175 mm) did the same on the choke body hole and then cut and ground the drill to make a pin.
Loctite 660 should keep it snug in the choke body.

Once again I am concerned October and 61 is getting closer by the minute.  :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LBnMRWeV-E

Online balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #322 on: March 23, 2020, 04:27:48 AM »
Nothing is to much trouble for this bike and how odd is it when your favourite bike is one you have never ridden.

:grin: :thumb:
Oz
04 Cali

LesP

« Reply #323 on: March 23, 2020, 05:12:01 AM »
Its all good if you stay on the level.
I have a hunch we are in the same neighbourhood Mr B.

LesP

« Reply #324 on: March 24, 2020, 09:22:54 PM »
Amazingly enough it is close to firing up but am going to finish things instead.
Timing is set, the later fat push rods (9 mm OD) have been swapped out for the later later push rods (10 mm) and I might add they should not contact but clearance at the 12 o clock position on the 88 mm Gilardoni cylinders push rod tunnels is close enough that any less would be a decent margin concern.
There is no way they would have fit if I had not milled the 850 heads push rod bores either.
Everything else is ship shape.

I did get these Fiat 500 distributor caps (2 of) from Italy last year and Fiat 500 rotors also (which will not work as pointed out) and have raided the Norton spare parts shelf for new Pazon supplied copper core HT leads and the silicone ones I got the other week can go in a cupboard somewhere (Another figure 8 around in circles)
I think the NGK caps are suppressed so that should be OK with non suppressed spark plugs.

The 7 mm HT leads are a nice fit at the terminals in the cap but can move around in front of that portion, not now though.
With the rubber boot and these Acetyl push inserts, all should be good including in rain.

LesP

« Reply #325 on: March 25, 2020, 05:41:19 PM »
I had another look at the exhaust yesterday and have sent an email off to MG Cycle (They are not doing phone calls it seems after ringing them)

Any attempt to fit this new balance pipe will damage the muffler stubs, I ended up with one side fully fit up with that balance pipe in place and clamped, holding the other muffler stub near the balance pipe end put the muffler mount hole some 20 mm pass the frame bracket itself (not its hole)
I will be pi$$ed if I have to cut this new part to get it to fit (Over $1000 exhaust system), of course the 47 year old stock balance pipe fits fine so just using that might be less of a PITA.
Its seems a little late in the piece to be fitting parts with a crow bar.  :laugh:

Online balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #326 on: March 25, 2020, 10:35:13 PM »
" in the same neighbourhood"
Yep; I am in Buderim and BTW, call me Bill :thumb:
Oz
04 Cali

LesP

« Reply #327 on: March 26, 2020, 04:07:56 AM »
Pleased to meet you Bill.  :thumb:
I am at 4507.

Online balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #328 on: March 26, 2020, 04:10:54 AM »
Gotta be the Gold Coast, eh? Looks nice :thumb:
Oz
04 Cali

LesP

« Reply #329 on: March 26, 2020, 04:12:11 AM »
I rang Mario today, he is well.

2 x distributor clips.
2 x exhaust nuts with locking rings.
2 x 88 mm head gaskets.
2 x washers for under the head nuts.

Tomorrow I will ride down to the city and pick up 150 mm of 60 mm OD aluminium bronze bar.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here