Author Topic: Eldorado and the quest to ride a Moto Guzzi for the first time.  (Read 95942 times)

LesP

Re: Eldorado and the quest to ride a Moto Guzzi for the first time.
« Reply #330 on: March 26, 2020, 04:13:57 AM »
Gotta be the Gold Coast, eh? Looks nice :thumb:

Bribie Island.

LesP

« Reply #331 on: March 26, 2020, 08:13:01 PM »
I drove down to the city in the car instead of taking the bike (Maybe the air is bad)
Population 2.28 million and it was light traffic all the way with minimal pedestrians and many closed businesses but Black Hawk Metals was open and picked up the phone ordered pre cut piece of Aluminium Bronze, $105 @ 150 mm/6 inches long.
It should be noted I am not a real machinist and bluff my way along learning a bit as I go, googling says this grade is hard to machine but was surprised at the good finish with a end pass @ 300 rpm and aluminium tooling (insert)
Perhaps optimism is getting the better of me as it will need to be threaded both internally and externally.

Online balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #332 on: March 26, 2020, 10:47:26 PM »
Bribie Island.

Bribie!! :grin:
We're practically neighbours :grin:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

LesP

« Reply #333 on: March 29, 2020, 07:08:01 PM »
I've been doing a bit mainly on the rear brake,torque arm and original switch... I put the 998 wheels on FB yesterday spur of the moment and the money is in the bank already.
Some funds for the Moto Guzzi.

The street is quiet, lock down seems to be taken for serious and looks to be for a long duration.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 07:10:04 PM by LesP »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #333 on: March 29, 2020, 07:08:01 PM »

LesP

« Reply #334 on: March 30, 2020, 01:14:51 AM »
The package from Perth arrived, the lock down here makes you grateful to receive anything. (Overnight post took nearly 4 days, like normal overnight but 4 of them  :laugh:)
Open package, throw wrapping in the bin, spray metal bits with carburettor cleaner then go wash your hands, thanks China, you're awesome.
I got these plus a spare set of 88 mm head gaskets.

The new distributor clips made a massive difference as far as securing the FIRE brand Made In Italy Fiat 500 distributor cap.

The new 'you beauty exhaust nuts with locking rings do not fit inside the aluminium police style finned exhaust nut covers.
You can't have it to easy so will machine the bore in the covers.
I guess I could 'hammer them on  :wink:  :wink: but will mill the bore larger to suit the nuts.

LesP

« Reply #335 on: March 31, 2020, 03:52:25 AM »
The AU$109.90 stainless steel nuts (Not the best material with the very different expansion to alloy but will do) have a bigger OD than the stock factory (bronze) nuts so would not fit into the US$104.74 finned clamps.
The threads on the nuts were crazy long sticking out of the head by a long way so the fancy clamps if they had fit would be a long way from the head also.
The answer was easy, just take those brand new parts and attack them while trying to get the alloy clamps closer to the head.

Turn a mandrel in the lathe that suits the ID in relaxed state before tightening.
Run the dial gauge over it.
Mill with 12 mm cobalt end mill that cost the equivalent of 2 -1/2 weeks wages back in January 1976 as an apprentice. ($75)

Use fancy DRO unit from previous pages to replicate to a micron.
ID out to 56.8 mm for a push fit.
Increase depth from 8 mm to 9 mm.

Reduce locking ring from 8 mm to 6 mm ( 1.5 mm pitch so still 4 peak engagement)

Reduce nut by 4.5 mm with double chamfer.

Whoever gets this bike next will never know the attention it got and how close it got to being parted out if it had remained in the USA.

For now I am going to use the original muffler balance pipe.
Ironic a fabricator can not be bothered modifying the new one to fit.

Offline Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #336 on: March 31, 2020, 05:57:33 AM »
My arm is getting tired from tipping my hat to you!   :bow: :thumb:
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

LesP

« Reply #337 on: March 31, 2020, 04:36:13 PM »
My arm is getting tired from tipping my hat to you!   :bow: :thumb:

That is a major complement coming from you Dave.  :thumb: :thumb:

It was another time to appreciate having a small lathe, mill and tooling.
One part was to get them to work together given the nut would not fit into the finned clamp, the other just cosmetic but it looks much nicer not having a crazy large gap between the clamp and head.
#
In the real world, first up is find out why my 2 1/2 year old fridge has suddenly near frozen all the food in the cooler section of it which it had not done previously. (Never touched any adjustment)
My local supermarket, two limit on a lot of items and as I found out at the 'Deli section, 1 kg (2.2 lb) limit on chicken and it seems pasta is the new toilet paper with near empty shelves. (and 2 packet limit signs)
There might be a lot more stay at home, lock down time in the garage to come.
#
The wheels/rims/brakes up the page were collected by the buyer yesterday at a safe distance and he must have got busy when he got home as I got this picture last night of them mounted on his 748.
Good to see them back in use and some more rubles for the Eldorado pot can't hurt which more than likely will go toward registration/titling.

LesP

« Reply #338 on: March 31, 2020, 05:10:28 PM »
I need to add doing something about the dipstick to the list that seems to get longer (unlike the dipstick) also.

The bike came with one of those aftermarket dipstick kits that have a boss that screws into the case and the dipstick is simply pushed in to secure it (two O-rings on the stick shoulder)
The engine has been filled with oil for months (no sump spacer) as per the manual except for around 200 ml reserved for oiling the top end/rockers before start up.
The oil level only just touches the end of the dipstick went pushed home, some 12 mm from the low mark, 47 mm from the high.

I am sure I put the correct amount of oil in (3 litres - 200 ml) so a dipstick that hardly works will need some modification for peace of mind........... or make a complete new one with a small threaded section at the top to secure it.
Put it on the list.

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #339 on: March 31, 2020, 07:41:16 PM »
I use 3 qts., no more or less, and then mark the dipstick accordingly. Back when I went for the whole 3.2 qts. that's in the manual, it would push oil out somewhere until it was at ~ 3 qts. anyway.

I never trusted the "finger pull" dipsticks in any case. 
Charlie

LesP

« Reply #340 on: March 31, 2020, 08:20:33 PM »
I use 3 qts., no more or less, and then mark the dipstick accordingly. Back when I went for the whole 3.2 qts. that's in the manual, it would push oil out somewhere until it was at ~ 3 qts. anyway.

I never trusted the "finger pull" dipsticks in any case.

Thanks Charlie.
I had to look that up.... 3 quarts is a shade over 2.8 litres which is in the engine as of now (the other 200 mls is in my new oil squirt can)
I will leave it at that volume (2.8l)

I could not live with that dipstick design even if convenient, it simply removes to easy (even if the O-rings look to be good) and could depart company on the road.
I like everything I can to be fit and forget (peace of mind on the road)

LesP

« Reply #341 on: March 31, 2020, 10:02:36 PM »
Before, tight with a new copper sealing ring

After... Close (to close nearly) enough.
The L/H header will need a tweak as it is but 1 mm or less from hitting the floor board rearward foot plate mount.

New dipstick parts under way.

Then I checked the dipstick out of my Africa twin, almost perfect.
The end of the old dipstick is the high mark (2.8 L) and all but lines up with the Honda high/low.
I could get another but would they reject each other at the transplant.
To be continued.........

LesP

« Reply #342 on: April 01, 2020, 01:08:36 AM »
One day I will make a proper handle.
You can run tooling upside down and power thread away from shoulders. (No brake on this lathe)

Or you just, unplug from the power and set the gear train up to suit in this case 1.5 mm pitch and after engaging the lead screw manually wind the saddle in via vice grips in this case, back out wind back and so one....... Its alloy so no fancy angle (29.5 degrees) on the compound, just straight in on the slide for a half dozen passes or so.

LesP

« Reply #343 on: April 01, 2020, 05:12:07 AM »
Yes that is a new 6 mm cap screw aged in white vinegar.... I think I have cabin fever.

LesP

« Reply #344 on: April 02, 2020, 02:17:26 AM »

LesP

« Reply #345 on: April 02, 2020, 06:03:03 AM »
Needs more cowbell or something totally different.... It will do for now and still needs a stick but the shops are shut (afaik) (for a long 4 mm s/s fastener to modify)

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #346 on: April 02, 2020, 09:38:06 AM »

You are such a talented machinist and builder Les, just wow...!  Stunning project.

Best.
Rob

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

LesP

« Reply #347 on: April 03, 2020, 03:44:07 AM »
Thanks Rob and might add I have more than enjoyed your threads here and other sites (Norton)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 06:42:22 AM by LesP »

LesP

« Reply #348 on: April 03, 2020, 04:04:38 AM »
Yes, managed to slip some brass in there, I stopped counting at 58 items.  :laugh:
Still no answer on the stick part, alloy (4 mm OD) might be OK but if it snapped off.. yikes.

Online balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #349 on: April 03, 2020, 04:23:16 AM »
Another lovely bit of work :grin: :thumb:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

LesP

« Reply #350 on: April 04, 2020, 05:59:13 AM »
 :thumb:

When is the last time someone made grommet holes with a DRO on the mill.
Yes Looper's , the battery tray is out again... I gave up on running the electrical wires down through the small 'triangle at the left rear corner of the tray and fender/mudguard.
The tool boxes and rear guard have been off so many times the 6 mm Nyloc's that hold them have cycled enough times to be replaced so lucky I got plenty.

The GB wiring loom came with two new grommets for the wiring that passes through the fork triple clamp, so the old (47 years old ?) ones are now in the battery tray for the starter cable and the minor wires down there..... just stick them through the grommet ed holes and almost look factory fitted.

The starter cable will pass down between the clutch and gear shift arms.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 06:00:48 AM by LesP »

Offline Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #351 on: April 05, 2020, 07:18:41 AM »
Les,  have you kept a tally of hours spent on this?  At a conservative rate of $30 per hour US I can only imagine what the total would be!  The labor charge and materials would probably make a Cycle Garden Eldo look like a bargain.   :grin:   Fantastic work!  This Eldo sure lucked out when you decided to save it.   
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline Rick4003

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #352 on: April 05, 2020, 09:26:33 AM »
This is the kind of project where you throw the receipts out at once and forget about how many hours you spend fixing it :)

Anyway I'm sure Les have enjoyed most of the hours he spend on the bike so far
Moto Guzzi 850 T5 (850 sport) - 1985
Moto Guzzi Ambassador - 1967
Yamaha FZR 600 - 1996 - SOLD

Offline shiskowd

• Hatchling
« Reply #353 on: April 05, 2020, 09:34:09 AM »
This is the kind of project where you throw the receipts out at once and forget about how many hours you spend fixing it :)

Great advice!  But I would argue the enjoyment/satisfaction vs. cost ratio for these projects is better than many other en-devours I've done over the years.

Nice work Les, that Eldo will truly be one of a kind.
'14 KTM 500 EXC
'10 KTM 690R Rally
'75 Moto Guzzi 850T

LesP

« Reply #354 on: April 06, 2020, 11:03:11 PM »
Greetings Gentleman (and any Ladies in the 55 to 60 age group  :wink:)

Some of those things would need some thought... In reality I could have simply done the minimum and even found used iron cylinders, maybe even looked for a used crankshaft with its bearings (they come up when you don't want them or after you buy something else)

I did not do much on the bike for years really, just place a order (14 of) with MG Cycle every now and again........ I bought 2nd under mains, then 6 months later read about converting to an oil filter........... so I went out and bought a mill/drill and some time later a lathe (or the other way round and then another front bearing (oil filter engine).......... and the years went by, my usual job is at gas projects (Domestic for power production and LNG for export so when working am away from home for 9 months of the year (4 and 1 FIFO, time poor but money for projects)

Did I save the Eldorado, not really, I just came to an imaginary agreement to do my bit and then it would need to do its bits if happy with my input.
(That would be future miles on the road)
These old Moto Guzzi's are far removed from what I have normally worked on to date and that is from CBX Honda's to Kawasaki H2's, Beveldrive Ducati's to Norton and Triumphs from the crankshaft up (Did I mention the Moto Guzzi sludge trap is deburred, chamfered and flapper honed on the ID)
Yes an enjoyable bike to work on... I have been doing some Norton work also.

Maybe I could have just ridden it (The fubared ring and pinion would have still gone round and round)... Maybe the dodgy cylinders and knurled valve guides would have hung in there, the cracked camshaft thread might never have failed who knows.......... I guess I got to a point, just spend what has to be spent.
Total hours would be quite high especially when you go around in circles.

Should someone wonder why the extension is longish when the torque arm (I did not measure the original centres/centers) was not extended that much, it is because around 40 mm of it had been beaten in with a hammer for tyre/tire clearance.
No more bashed clearance dish now and with the arm moved to the other side of the lug all is good.
Two for one.

Pretty bad when I have to do some metal work.... Fired up the V200T and found some ER70S-6.
Any metal finishing was no less than a cross hatch angle inline with the tube.

I guess that is the thing having a few tools at your disposal (although I did have to pay for them) you can do what you like even if the gain verses time invested is out of kilter... you can do it anyway.
It seems that guy Luigi went to some trouble on the back brake.

I thought the alloy lever might be bent but google images showed them angling inward toward the backing plate, the bore through the plate for the cam is quite wide (support/ less flex ?) and the arm is then angled back in to get it slightly over that bore... wow.

I forget how it was when I got the bike being so long ago but when I installed the 6 mm pull rod to the wheel side of the crossover shaft actuating arm and then to the alloy rear arm the rod hit the nut that secures the front internal brake shoe anchor anchor and was binding in the slot of the rear arm.
Ehhh.. so I put it to the outside of the front arm but then was on a crazy angle (straight before) I left it like that until today.

With a bit of a quick test rotating the backing plate CCW until the rod missed and installed on the arm side where the pull is straight it was deemed OK cycling the suspension.
Extend the torque arm a little and the nut is out of the way, the rod is a straight pull on the wheel side of the front arm (and drops into the slot in the rear arm not pushed in) the rear lever is now at a better (I think) mechanical angle rearward.
Maybe it is like  like Luigi planned now.

The torque arm will go to the outside of the lug to miss the 120/90/18 but have no idea how you get the wheel off with the rear guard in place... If the paint (Original? ) had needed redoing I would have modified the guard so the rear part hinged up to get the wheel out.

Only the front of the arm will be repainted.

It probably took longer to type this than do the mod. :laugh:

« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 05:14:31 AM by LesP »

LesP

« Reply #355 on: April 10, 2020, 02:37:06 AM »

LesP

« Reply #356 on: April 10, 2020, 02:48:28 AM »
The extended torque arm (350 mm C/C now) to rotate the backing plate a little CCW works great, the pull arm stopping just short of the backing plate pivot nut at full suspension travel without all the weird angles it had.
Both drum brakes need to be working nicely, I might need them one day.

In the spirit of things only the portion with with paint removed got VHT barrel paint and that was rubbed down with OOOO steel wool 24 hours later... The original black paint that was left lives another day.
It looks like a stock part, mission accomplished.

1/2 a step forward and do-si-do.  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #357 on: April 10, 2020, 10:49:56 AM »
Amazing work Les, I don't think I have ever seen such attention to detail and skill,
way beyond my machine tool or fabrication capabilities, your work inspires me and probably everyone else who follows this build.
:bow: :bow: :bow:
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

LesP

« Reply #358 on: April 11, 2020, 06:40:22 AM »
Thanks Jim  :thumb:

Without taking anything away from the many others doing great work, the likes of Yourself, Dave S and Charlie M are in a whole other ballgame to me.. You guys are not only doing outstanding work but bike after bike to the same super high standard and not just Moto Guzzi's.

Offline Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #359 on: April 11, 2020, 07:57:56 AM »
Thanks for the compliment, but my work looks like it is done with a hammer and prybar compared to yours.   :bow:
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here