Author Topic: Eldorado and the quest to ride a Moto Guzzi for the first time.  (Read 95837 times)

LesP

Re: Eldorado and the quest to ride a Moto Guzzi for the first time.
« Reply #450 on: July 17, 2020, 01:38:06 AM »
Getting some mileage out of that bread board.
A push fit in the lower manifold cap screws for no melty wires or Mr Bean floorboard foot entanglements.

Who would have thought, that was a very long circle and ended up using the Pazon (NZ) HT leads in the end.
The HT lead I got (2 metres) from the UK was OK and stainless steel core but like a wet noodle, these leads are copper core and quite HD in construction.
I got new NGK caps but they only had the short version in brown but got a pair anyway, they actually fit better and of course the colour goes nicely with the Made in Italy 'brown distributor cap.  :wink:
I made a press to fit the coil end right angle terminal to the lead.
Not bad in the end at around 6 months to fit HT leads.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 08:54:58 PM by LesP »

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #451 on: July 23, 2020, 12:12:50 PM »
jeeze les, this is a pretty wild thread. I certainly hope you dont put a few kms on this bike and say "nah, guzzi isnt for me!"

Would be a real shame if you had to export it to the US for sale  :popcorn:
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

LesP

« Reply #452 on: August 01, 2020, 07:10:34 PM »
I forgot to mention, from nearly a week ago on my FB page.

I got a little side tracked this morning and in that side track I passed the 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado that sits in the living room... I got it way back in 2011 with it arriving in Australia early 2012 after being missing for some 3 months between New York and Australia, of course when it got here (Port of Sydney) it was road freighted 900 kms to Queensland then back 900 kms to NSW where I lived ?? but finally it arrived only to find it was totally worn out.... I worked on it every now and again over the years and stopped counting when it went over $20000 all in, I did start it once back in 2012 but the engine was weak and it never ran again since that day, not even ridden.......... So this morning I am opening the back windows and it occurred to me having made a new coil lead days ago, if I was to hook the battery ($250) up and add some fuel, maybe it would start so I did both then just stood there wondering what would happen given I had this bike down to the last nut, bolt and wire.............. I give it some choke and hit the starter button and it just winds over, Ohhh well........... Hmmm, then I look on the police dash, maybe the push/pull kill switch is not in for Go but out for Go so pull it out and try again.......... It started instantly for the first time in over eight years.

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #453 on: August 01, 2020, 08:51:59 PM »
 :thumb:
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #453 on: August 01, 2020, 08:51:59 PM »

Offline Klinkhammer

• 2024 Board Donor
  • Hatchling
« Reply #454 on: August 05, 2020, 04:43:31 AM »
Great news :laugh:
Have been following this thread for a long time. Fantastic job. Very inspiring!
850T Endurance racer lookalike 1974
992 Le Mans III Agostini 1983
V1000 ConverT 1976
850 Le Mans II 1979
BMW R1250GS HP 2019
V7 sport 1972 (Sold)
850T3 California 1977 (Sold)
850T 1974 (Sold)

LesP

« Reply #455 on: August 05, 2020, 05:45:11 PM »
 :thumb: :thumb:

Its not over until its over so its still the threads that just keeps giving .  :laugh:

LesP

« Reply #456 on: August 05, 2020, 06:04:06 PM »
Might be one of the fanciest hitch pins, fully machined, done within the hour.

LesP

« Reply #457 on: August 05, 2020, 09:01:29 PM »

Never take things to seriously.  :laugh:

LesP

« Reply #458 on: August 06, 2020, 02:05:32 AM »

LesP

LesP

« Reply #460 on: August 12, 2020, 08:00:44 PM »
Not much to report.

There are quite a few small things to finish, the gear box breather is done incorporating a banjo from a Norton Commando rocker oil feed line.

This might be a bad idea but the crank case reed breather will not have a hose to who knows where but a small tank that will expel in the location where the original coil bracket is on the frame so it better be air and not any form of oil.
It will be the last time consuming mod.

50 mm x 92 mm with 6 mm radius corners top and bottom and to be split to become a top and bottom once hollowed out.

LesP

Offline pariah

• New Egg
« Reply #462 on: August 13, 2020, 11:04:21 AM »
Remarkable work Les.

That battery post made me laugh. Talk about detail..

LesP

« Reply #463 on: August 15, 2020, 07:24:50 PM »
Remarkable work Les.

That battery post made me laugh. Talk about detail..

You can blame Greg Bender and his loom that needs some battery connections (relay power etc)  :laugh:

I did stack them all up on one connection of the cheesy stock terminals but made those things (Maybe it comes back to being a Boilermaker/Welder by trade so don't mind the extra time with this winging it machining stuff)

There are still details to finish.
I was to cheap to buy one of those fuel line 'Crosses so made one from spare Dellorto parts including two of the gauze discs.
In hindsight it was not to smart bolting it to the air box plate because if they needed cleaning for some reason half the bike needs to be removed to get to the head of that bolt to separate the body so needs modifying and change the routing of the fuel lines... The beat up paint stays for the ride.

LesP

« Reply #464 on: August 15, 2020, 07:36:25 PM »
I read that the gearbox can vent oil, why is beyond me unless the hose is going downward.

I modified the MGC sourced fitting with an M8 thread on the outer end and bleed hole @ 12:O clock.
One expansion tank and the inner fitting is from a OEM Norton Commando rocker oil feed line as it became surplus being replaced with a braided Venhill kit)

(How unimpressed was I to find that expensive vent hose fitting advertised as stainless steel turned out to be cheap aluminium, moly paste applied to avoid any form of future galling in the gearbox thread)

It simply gets a small clear riser hose so any oil can be seen. (curiosity mostly)

The last thing I need is oil on my WhiteWalls.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 11:09:05 PM by LesP »

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #465 on: August 16, 2020, 01:04:14 AM »
That's a Great looking bike Les :grin: :thumb:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

LesP

« Reply #466 on: August 16, 2020, 08:22:41 PM »
Thanks Bill.
Some careful cutting and filing got a slight weight refund for all that added brass.

With the coil relocated to the battery area, the old bracket was redundant and in the way a bit.

How's that can of VHT paint that just keeps giving.
There was a little weld undercut but let it go.

LesP

« Reply #467 on: August 16, 2020, 08:31:04 PM »
I had forgotten about mirrors, the bike had those round things more suited to Pee Wee Herman's Schwinn bicycle so just ordered two TEX / UK mirrors.
Not round, not rectangular.

LesP

« Reply #468 on: August 17, 2020, 06:26:10 PM »
I had noticed when fitting the rear brake switch it was somewhat finicky and access to it for adjustment would be a PITA.
As it was the switch had to be at the lowest point in the mount plates slots for the L arm to have a reasonable clearance to a frame tube which had marks on it from being in contact.

Any future adjustment a 5 minute job now and no chance of frame contact.
I'll thank myself one day.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 11:16:45 PM by LesP »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #469 on: August 18, 2020, 06:59:18 PM »
Les, you have done some *really* nice rotary table work. It's almost a lost art since cnc took over. Attaboy! :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline SoCalBreva750

• New Egg
« Reply #470 on: August 19, 2020, 03:59:48 AM »
Les, I don't even feel qualified to comment on all the work that you've done to the Eldorado, but had to at least say something after spending several hours reading from start to finish. There is quite possibly nothing more important or satisfying than looking back at a project completed knowing that everything you did was done to the best of your ability.  Well done! Your creativity, ingenuity and persistence are an inspiration.

LesP

« Reply #471 on: August 23, 2020, 05:32:19 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I will post up in the morning (How bad is it when you think it is Saturday and your phone tells you it is Sunday)

The fuel tank is held to the frame by a couple of longish 8 mm bolts and nuts.
To put the nut on the left or the right side.

Custom bolts will have the next caretaker of the bike scratching their head with a bit of luck.

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #472 on: August 23, 2020, 07:26:06 AM »
You are nuts! In the best way possible of course!   :grin:
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

LesP

« Reply #473 on: August 23, 2020, 06:29:06 PM »
My new English neighbours might prefer eccentric, works for me.  :laugh:
A sunny day and good reason to go find some new hardware for the windscreen (I didn't realise it was so old, dated 2002)

10 seconds and worked like a dream.

Fuel tank bolt.

LesP

« Reply #474 on: August 23, 2020, 06:35:34 PM »

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #475 on: August 23, 2020, 10:27:35 PM »
That bolt is extra sneaky Les.
Also in the best possible way :bow: :thumb: :grin:
Oz
04 Cali

LesP

« Reply #476 on: August 24, 2020, 12:34:23 AM »
I might have to do one for the Harpo seat also.

After over 200 kms total to south of the river and back I found new 1/4" hardware for the Police type windscreen.
Its either the same as it had or 99% the same, close enough.

https://www.anzor.com.au/

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #477 on: August 24, 2020, 06:37:12 AM »
Well............it was a nice day for a ride, so you killed two birds with one stone eh mate :grin:
Oz
04 Cali

LesP

« Reply #478 on: August 25, 2020, 07:11:44 AM »
The (2002 dated) windscreen is rejuvenated.
Chrome tin foiled, the screen polished with plastic polish and the new 1/4" UNC hardware cut to length via a simple threaded and split holder.

I will make some adaptor mounts tomorrow.

I took another look at the front brake with a machined spacer to move the backing plate outward and allow the axle to be torqued and see the shoes, I think it should be OK once bed in.
The Left hand / Right hand adjuster makes setting the rear shoe all but easy.

LesP

« Reply #479 on: August 25, 2020, 07:41:15 AM »
Les, you have done some *really* nice rotary table work. It's almost a lost art since cnc took over. Attaboy! :thumb:

Thanks Chuck, I misquoted/ Had a senior moment the other day so deleted the reply.

A 10 inch rotary table was the next purchase after a decent machine vice quite some years ago now (Both are in storage in NZ still) but get by with this smaller one.
I would like some form of CNC mind you.

Les, I don't even feel qualified to comment on all the work that you've done to the Eldorado, but had to at least say something after spending several hours reading from start to finish. There is quite possibly nothing more important or satisfying than looking back at a project completed knowing that everything you did was done to the best of your ability.  Well done! Your creativity, ingenuity and persistence are an inspiration.

I apologise for that time you will never get back.  :laugh:
Sometimes I wonder if it will ever end but will endeavour to finish it as far as done with no more after being put into use. (Not an ongoing project)

The fuel lines have been cut and rerouted and the fuel junction turned so it can have the filter discs cleaned if need be without having to access the inside of the air box.
The old alloy centre was retained and a Acetyl body done on the 'rotary table to hold it.
I would not normally want anything in the air box that could if it came loose damage the engine so it has M4 studs that recess into the alloy centre with Loctite 680 and the Nylocs got some wicking 290.

I made a second one that was deeper to take more thread and of course it took half the time, I turned the three jaw chuck into a offset version via a packer to push the hole off centre.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here