General Category > General Discussion

Savannah, GA trip info

<< < (6/6)

Muley:
This is a very good time of year to visit Savannah.  Summer is just too hot!

The old part of town is really interesting, and the numerous squares have huge live oaks and each usually has a statue of some sort.  The wife and I enjoy the carriage rides, pulled by one ton draft horses and operated by very congenial drivers.  The "ghost tour" where you ride in vintage, open topped hearses, sounds corny but is very entertaining and fun.  Their number is 912-695-1578.  The walking tours are said to be fun also, but we haven't done that yet.  All of the guides we had in Savannah are extremely entertaining.  There are taxis consisting of three wheeled cycles that will take you all over town in a relaxed manner, and the fares are not really set.  I found that by giving them a decent fee they'll take you to a store or other place and wait outside for a reasonable amount of time, then carry you to another spot.

The wife loves antique shopping, and I enjoy a good cigar while sitting outside waiting on her ;)

We like the Crab Shack out on Tybee Island, but there are many, many good eatin' spots around.

If you have a rental car, the city has quite a few parking garages.  However, it's easy to get them confused and "lose" your vehicle.  Just use a GPS or pay close attention to where you parked. ::)

Once upon a time, a real PT boat was operating on the river going from downtown to Tybee.  I would do that again and again, but I'm not sure when it will be in Savannah again.  You might want to check that out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version