General Category > General Discussion

Home Security Systems?

(1/11) > >>

bpreynolds:
So after a good buddy of mine and his wife had their home broken into for the third time in 2 years - he lives only about a mile away from us albeit in a much more crime prone area - I've decided to check into sucurity systems/subscriptions.  The last break in at my friend's house (1 week ago) was especially concerning because the guy hid in the house and stayed there even after police thought they had cleared it.  My friend found the guy in a stowed area of the house and held him at gunpoint until the police arrived.  So anyhow, my wife is probably more concerned about this than I am but figured I'd ask here if anyone else uses a security system or subscription service and could recommend?  

We have a Honeywell system that came with the house when we bought it last year, installed and monitored then by ADT but we did not renew the subscription.  We also have a yapper who screams at everybody who gets within 20 yards of the place, not that this latter is any sort of real deterrence but a lot of the crime around these parts, including my friend's house, is opportunistic crime.  They get off the bus line or step out of their cohorts car and look for an empty afternoon house that would be easy to get into - if one has a yapper they more often choose the house next door that doesn't.  But that's just the opportunistic ones.  

I called ADT and Mid-America and listened to an extraordinary and surprising amount b.s. spiel from each, total and complete salesmen that made my stomach turn mainly.  I just can't imagine in this day and age there aren't stand alone wireless systems that would notify authorities and/or me and my wife if they were breached.  But oh well.

So what do you guys have, if anything, and/or what would you recommend?

Curtis Harper:
See the following thread?

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=74077.0

trippah:
I would suggest a visit to the local police station, chat up the local chief on response time.  Could be that even if ADT (Whatever) call them, they take 10 minutes to get to your place and usually I suspect the thieves are gone in 5.  You are however justified in the situation as described when the burg hides in the house, that could turn serious.  Compare the insurance costs with and without alarm systems, you might break even.  Best of luck, I reply on nosey neighbors as only the cars seem to get hit very often. second the dog idea, and I apologize as I do not remember if that cutie who wandered in is still with you.

Lannis:

--- Quote from: bpreynolds on January 15, 2015, 02:03:25 PM ---  I just can't imagine in this day and age there aren't stand alone wireless systems that would notify authorities and/or me and my wife if they were breached.  

--- End quote ---

There's bound to be something like that.   I don't know the best way to find one that doesn't involve a fanatical commission salesman, though.  

I'll be interested in seeing the results.   I was on jury duty last week, and its shocking how much predatory human garbage there is, these days, walking the streets and riding the roads.   Your friend did well by "holding the man at gunpoint till the police arrived."   The law here doesn't require me to take that risk, and I probably wouldn't have ...

Lannis

bpreynolds:

--- Quote from: Curtis Harper on January 15, 2015, 02:29:59 PM ---See the following thread?

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=74077.0

--- End quote ---

LOL.  An additional but bigger dog might be the answer, heh.  I been wanting a big coon hound anyhow.  Take me back to my roots.  I'm thinking Black and Tan or, likely, Redbone  :BEER:

--- Quote from: Lannis on January 15, 2015, 02:41:19 PM ---There's bound to be something like that.   I don't know the best way to find one that doesn't involve a fanatical commission salesman, though.  

I'll be interested in seeing the results.   I was on jury duty last week, and its shocking how much predatory human garbage there is, these days, walking the streets and riding the roads.   Your friend did well by "holding the man at gunpoint till the police arrived."   The law here doesn't require me to take that risk, and I probably wouldn't have ...

Lannis

--- End quote ---

Heh.  I told him he was my hero for the week.  I have begun referring to him as Chuck Norris but he doesn't laugh too much when I do  ;-T ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version