General Category > General Discussion

Towing & Tow Vehicle NGC

(1/11) > >>

Gary:
Sometime within the next 12 months, I plan to buy an RV / travel trailer. I am semi-retired and my wife plans to retire early 2016. We plan to spend about 100 days per year traveling across the US. Maybe more if we both really take to it.

We have looked at travel trailers at RV shows the past couple of years. As of now, my choice is a regular tow behind (not a 5th wheel) with a base dry weight of 5000-6000 pounds. I prefer to tow the trailer to a spot and have the tow vehicle available for exploring, errands etc. I sold my last pickup, a Ford F150 a couple of years ago and don't particularly want another pickup. I am considering buying a used late model all wheel drive SUV to do the work, and my choices have been narrowed to a Lexus GX470 (tow capacity 6500), Porsche Cayenne S (7716), or a Land Rover LR3 or LR4 (7716). Does anyone here have experience with the forgoing vehicles? How about towing with them?

jas67:

--- Quote from: Gary on January 26, 2015, 01:59:33 PM ---Sometime within the next 12 months, I plan to buy an RV / travel trailer. I am semi-retired and my wife plans to retire early 2016. We plan to spend about 100 days per year traveling across the US. Maybe more if we both really take to it.

We have looked at travel trailers at RV shows the past couple of years. As of now, my choice is a regular tow behind (not a 5th wheel) with a base dry weight of 5000-6000 pounds. I prefer to tow the trailer to a spot and have the tow vehicle available for exploring, errands etc. I sold my last pickup, a Ford F150 a couple of years ago and don't particularly want another pickup. I am considering buying a used late model all wheel drive SUV to do the work, and my choices have been narrowed to a Lexus GX470 (tow capacity 6500), Porsche Cayenne S (7716), or a Land Rover LR3 or LR4 (7716). Does anyone here have experience with the forgoing vehicles? How about towing with them?

--- End quote ---

When towing a tag trailer (tow behind), weight distribution and sway control are VERY important, as is the wheelbase of your tow vehicle.    A longer tow vehicle will be a more stable tow platform than a similar weight shorter tow vehicle, such as many SUV's.

Also, I know you said that you didn't particularly want another pickup, but, if you got a pickup with an 8' bed, you could take a motorcycle along with you in the bed.
I wouldn't want to be gone for 100 days straight w/o a motorcycle.

Also, tow ratings are many vehicles are often times higher than what you'll want to tow with them.   For example, a couple years back, I think it was 2012, or so, Ford rated the F150 up to 11,200 lbs towing.   Now, that was for a 2WD, standard cab, but, still, there is no way in hell that you want an 11,200 lb trailer behind an F150.   7,000 lbs is about the max that you'd want to pull with an F150 - -and then, only if said F150 had the tow package (trans oil cooler, proper gearing, etc).

You might want to check some of the RV forums (rv.net is one) for info on tow vehicles.

Oh, and enjoy being retired!

LowRyter:
I've got a "lightweight" 5th Wheel Toy Hauler (10k max weight), I have a Chevy Duramax.

I would strongly recommend a 3/4 ton truck.  I can't imagine towing with an import SUV, although I am told that some have had good luck with Infiniti/Nissan V8.  Also, the tow weight (not dry weight) for your planned trailer will already exceed the tow rating for all the SUVs that you've listed. There is probably a good reason that you never see those SUVs towing any travel trailers.  If you must go for an SUV find an old Ford Excursion or Suburban 2500. 

Good luck with your quest.  You might try RV.Net

rocker59:

--- Quote from: Gary on January 26, 2015, 01:59:33 PM ---Sometime within the next 12 months, I plan to buy an RV / travel trailer. I am semi-retired and my wife plans to retire early 2016. We plan to spend about 100 days per year traveling across the US. Maybe more if we both really take to it.

--- End quote ---

From someone with tens of thousands of towing miles, your towing experience will be miserable, if you're pulling at or near the max rating for your truck/suv. 

If you're going to be towing lots of miles with a high profile trailer that weighs 6000+ lbs, you really ought to be using a truck with at least 8000 lbs towing capacity.

Also, you need to be looking at the GVW of the trailer, not the dry weight.  Add in drinking water, gray water, black water, batteries, LP tanks, luggage, etc, and you will really need a larger truck.  If the GVW of the trailer is around 8000 lbs, you should look at a truck with 10,000 lbs towing.

Like it, or not, you really should be looking at Suburbans/Tahoes/Expeditions if you want an SUV to pull the trailer you're considering.  In addition to the basic ability to pull the load in a straight line, you need to consider the truck's suspension, brakes, and transmission.  You really should have a transmission cooler.  Also, you may need to consider using "LT" tires instead of the standard "P" tires that come from the factory on most SUVs.  Much stiffer construction, and they perform better towing a load.  (harsher ride empty, though).

Madtownguzzi:

--- Quote from: rocker59 on January 26, 2015, 03:18:56 PM ---From someone with tens of thousands of towing miles, your towing experience will be miserable, if you're pulling at or near the max rating for your truck/suv. 

If you're going to be towing lots of miles with a high profile trailer that weighs 6000+ lbs, you really ought to be using a truck with at least 8000 lbs towing capacity.

Also, you need to be looking at the GVW of the trailer, not the dry weight.  Add in drinking water, gray water, black water, batteries, LP tanks, luggage, etc, and you will really need a larger truck.  If the GVW of the trailer is around 8000 lbs, you should look at a truck with 10,000 lbs towing.

Like it, or not, you really should be looking at Suburbans/Tahoes/Expeditions if you want an SUV to pull the trailer you're considering.  In addition to the basic ability to pull the load in a straight line, you need to consider the truck's suspension, brakes, and transmission.  You really should have a transmission cooler.  Also, you may need to consider using "LT" tires instead of the standard "P" tires that come from the factory on most SUVs.  Much stiffer construction, and they perform better towing a load.  (harsher ride empty, though).

--- End quote ---

I agree with rocker59. You should be looking for a 3/4 ton tow vehicle. The last year for the 3/4 ton Suburban was 2013. With the long wheelbase heaver frame and larger brakes it should be an excellent tow vehicle. Here is a link to what GM might be up to in the future bringing back the 3/4 ton Sub.
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/10/community-question-what-do-you-want-to-see-from-gms-possible-34-ton-suvs/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version