Author Topic: Rhodesian Ridgeback owners? Have a question.  (Read 10898 times)

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
Rhodesian Ridgeback owners? Have a question.
« on: March 02, 2015, 01:27:18 PM »
I know a number of us here love dogs and have shared about losing their's recently.  Us too at the Tobit household, I posted around Christmas that we had to put our 13 year old Border Collie / Australian Shepherd mix down due to cancer.

Since then I've been looking and also posted about my experience with the local Humane Society and rescue outfits.  Ours was a rescue and it didn't take near the interrogation that seems de rigueur today.

My wife's college roomate had a Ridgeback that I met about 10 years ago.  Lovely and wonderful dog.  I've never gone through a breeder before but was interested and did a little web searching.  I found one four hours from me who has a 3 year old female that was returned to her when the owners divorced.  I made an offer, she has now accepted but I need to know about allergies.  Being a large dog, she is still a housepet.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t31.0-8/10928940_995111200503791_1114488351782005599_o.jpg

My son is technically allergic to dogs but never had a problem with ours being in the house a lot.  We left her outside most days but if we were home, she was inside and slept in our bedroom.

Anyone here with a Ridgeback and dog allergies?

Thanks,

Tobit
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Rhodesian Ridgeback owners? Have a question.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 01:38:35 PM »
I have never owned a ridgeback but I have a buddy that does and I am allergic to some dogs but not his ridgebacks. They are a good breed. I'd own one
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Bill929

• Gaggle Hero
    • Finger, Nelson & Maguire, PLLC
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 02:45:59 PM »
First and foremost, my condolences for the loss of your beloved family member.  

My business partner has a Ridgeback.  Great dog, but as they say in the dog training business (my wife is a professional dog trainer) - large energy tank.  Not a good dog to be left alone with little to do.  They were bred for hunting lions, have great endurance and can take the heat, but not the cold.  Not a dog for the average lab or golden owner, so be prepared to put in the time necessary for the dog.  

Most allergies to dogs have been shown to be from saliva and dead skin cells, not fur.  All dogs have saliva and dead skin cells, so the potential for an allergic reaction is there.  
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 02:49:54 PM by Bill929 »
Bill
Morriston, FL
Maidens, VA
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring
2019 Harley Davidson Roadster

Prior Guzzis:  1986 V65 Lario, 2001 EV, 2001 V11 Sport, 2003 Titanium, 2007 California Vintage, 1991 Lemans CI 1000

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 03:01:51 PM »

My business partner has a Ridgeback.  Great dog, but as they say in the dog training business (my wife is a professional dog trainer) - large energy tank.  Not a good dog to be left alone with little to do.  They were bred for hunting lions, have great endurance and can take the heat, but not the cold.  Not a dog for the average lab or golden owner, so be prepared to put in the time necessary for the dog.  

Same deal with a Border Collie.   High energy, intelligent, needs either a full-time job or lots of YOUR time or you won't like the consequences.

We love ours but he's a commitment ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 03:01:51 PM »

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 03:49:25 PM »
Beautiful good nature d dogs, but will definitely need a couple hours of exercise a day. A lot like my 100 lb. doberman,who I thought would be less allergenic because of her short coat. Not so , a lot of dander to inspire allergies. They are both breeds on a mission and require extra time and effort as compared to the common house pet breeds. Very loyal and protective instinctively. I wouldn't trade Jessie for for the world but definitely more work work than I had anticipated. She is going on four years old now and is just starting to relax a little, but not for long. The female should be a little easier than a male in time, less likely to roam and go looking for trouble. Be prepared to go thru four or five cups of food a day, and that makes for a lot of pooper scooping. Best of luck , would love to see a picture of her.

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 05:21:51 PM »
Not much for you to go on but a pal's RidgeBack (current and past) doesn't trip a couple of our friend's epic pet allergies.

This though, being his third from various sources has the same unnerving habit the other two did of being wholly unpredictable as to when their legendary protectiveness will kick in or to what/whom it may be directed.

He can read his dogs like a book and they are very responsive to his commands but damn - when the dis-like gets going...

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 05:32:17 PM »
Don't know about allergies, but definitely do NOT wear a Lion King costume for Halloween.   ;-T
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

Offline amamet

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 05:50:49 PM »
I had an amazing ridgeback for 12 years and allergies.  Also had cats so I can't vouch for what was worse, dog or cat allergies. They are easy to brush and keep clean, so that may help.  As other have said I can definitely say they have enormous amounts of energy and love to run, run, run.  They are in the hound group so they also howl...loud.  They DO NOT like to be left alone.  I can't stress enough they need obedience training. I would get another one in a heartbeat!
Allen

makarushka

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 07:06:34 PM »
My ridgeback's name was Lola. She was the kindest creature on Earth and so trusting of people that I really don't think she'd ever make a good protective dog :) Ridgies can differ quite a bit: there seem to be two distinct types within the breed that are even different visually. In general though, they tend to have a wonderful, joyful yet even, non-aggressive, personality, but can be quite assertive.

I do not have particular allergies and neither does my kid but Lola had been around friends who do -- and badly -- numerous times, without any issues ever.

Regarding the activity levels and what not: they are very athletic dogs but often also some of the biggest couch potatoes ever! Mine sure was... She of course loved her exercise and got it but never really seemed like she NEEDED it in a way some more hyperactive breeds do. Definitely not the kind of dog that will tear your things or house apart if her walk is 5 minutes late.

Lola only lived to be 7 years due to lymphatic cancer. That said they generally do not live too long, like many large breeds. She was a wonderful dog and I'll get another ridgeback without any hesitation when I am in a position to be a good dog owner again in my life. At 18 months she looked like this:

« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 07:08:10 PM by makarushka »

Offline cwiseman

• Gaggle Mentor
    • C&D Motorsports
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 07:23:21 PM »
A good friend has one, it's a holy terror! He's had a couple of trainers work with the dog and for awhile he'll behave and then right back to his bad habits. He's not a bad dog but he loves to pick on anything that moves and with his size that's not a good thing.
On the other hand I've owned Boxers for years and they are a handful also and the meanest 20lbs on four legs I be ever seen is our Boston Terrier. He is thrilled to make any other animal live is shear misery, chickens, guinea, cats, my boxer. Little bastard used to go for the balls on my boxer!

But to your point most short haired dogs seam to be fine around those with allergies.
Moto Guzzi Robinson/C & D Motorsports
618-544-RIDE
Moto Guzzi dealer in South Eastern Illinois
Personal rides 2007 Calvin, 72 Eldo, V7 Classic, 75 RD350, GasGas Pampera 250 + a few others
2-stroke street bike enthusiast

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 07:38:54 PM »
  Ridgeback, easy to care for, only eats about 3 children a week.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

nellborg

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 07:59:03 PM »
I took my wife and kids to check out the Ridgebacks at a local breeder near me in Wisc. last summer.  Beautiful dogs but skittish.  Had that "far away" look in their eyes like they were still mostly running on instinct.  When my 10 yr old girl slightly flinched, I thought the one Ridge that they brought outside was going to take her down - these were definitely high-strung and not used to kids at all. Pity - my wife subsequently scratched them off the list for a family dog.  I'm sure the temperament varies within the breed, though. 

Oh, yeah, the breeder did say that even though their hair is short, they shed just as much as other breeds.       

Offline cwiseman

• Gaggle Mentor
    • C&D Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 08:26:20 PM »
  Ridgeback, easy to care for, only eats about 3 children a week.

Funniest thing I've read all week!
Moto Guzzi Robinson/C & D Motorsports
618-544-RIDE
Moto Guzzi dealer in South Eastern Illinois
Personal rides 2007 Calvin, 72 Eldo, V7 Classic, 75 RD350, GasGas Pampera 250 + a few others
2-stroke street bike enthusiast

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 08:28:35 PM »
We have a Lab Ridgeback cross. Looks like a yellow lab with a mohawk. Will play fetch until your arm falls off.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

makarushka

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 08:29:50 PM »
Beautiful dogs but skittish.  Had that "far away" look in their eyes
like they were still mostly running on instinct.

There is a theory that some of the original breed came from sighthound stock, which supposedly explains their affinity for fixating on some small rodent in the distance and just blasting for it. It is one thing to watch out for with ridgebacks. Proper training early on greatly reduces any skittishness or uncontrolled, impulsive, behavior, but they always remain very likely to chase squirrels etc.

Oh, yeah, the breeder did say that even though their hair is short, they shed just as much as other breeds.       

Very true!

Online Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 10:29:16 PM »
They are a sighthound.... exercise required. Not 'lots'; just regular.
Attitude: confident, love their pack.
Allergies: not hypoallergenic. Keep the dog groomed and the dander down. (they adore attention).
Environment: Several live happy lives here in the sub-arctic.... without dorky flannel vests.
Nice dogs? yes.
Go meet the rescue dog face to face: with the breeder and alone.
Sometimes a rescue is in need of a great deal of personal encouragement based on the history it has endured.
Bad analogy but: its' like a bike. New off the shelf and you know what has been put into it. A barn-find on the other hand, can be quick as changing oil or a lot more than that.... you don't know until you own it.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 08:23:22 AM »
Don't know about allergies, but definitely do NOT wear a Lion King costume for Halloween.   ;-T

:D

Random webpic, lion hunting camo.
http://www.allisonshamrellblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/dog-halloween-costume-lion-5.jpg

Thanks for all the replys.  This particular girl is 3, the worlds biggest lapdog, and as all the puppies from this breeder, has been RFID chipped, spayed and is free of Dermoid Sinus and any signs of hip dysplasia, as are her "parents."  When looking at rescue mixbreeds we met an RR / Lab and that got me going on the RR breed.  Doing a little research I came across this particular breeder and learned of the dog in question, filled out the questionaire and as she was asking for offers to reimburse the original owners, I respectfully offered what was in our budget, knowing it would likely be insufficient.  It was and  we moved on.

That was a month ago.  Yesterday I received an email from the breeder explaining that everyone else interested has wanted a running partner or indicated some other desire she wasn't comfortable with and that we were the only ones just looking for a pet, so we could have her for my original offer.  I was going to get her tomorrow but the weather may have other plans.  Very excited that this may work out.

The girl.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 08:43:59 AM by Tobit »
Roman, '86 LM IV

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 11:11:54 AM »
I thought he was from Kenya.........
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline frans belgium

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 11:44:42 AM »
I thought he was from Kenya.........

No, that's his cousin, the Kenyan Ridgeback  ;D
Just kiddin' of course.
The Rhodesian Ridgeback is what is says he is, from Rhodesia = Zimbabwe nowadays.
Very popular in South Africa.
A very handsome and 'good' dog for those who know how to handle dogs.
Not for everybody though, he has a proud and sometimes even dominant character.
On the 'no go' or 'dangerous' list in some countries even.
So be careful out there....
Owned and sold: V65, Nevada, 2xCali, Breva 1100, Norge 8V, Breva 1100 with Squire sidecar
Currently own: V85 TT

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 04:16:42 PM »
She's beautiful. I've always said if you want a dog get a dog, a real dog. Hope all works out well for both of you.

Offline nikwax

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 05:27:33 PM »
wow, I love dog threads  ;D

Congratulations on your new dog and many happy years!

We've been buying dogs from breeders for ages, it's good to meet the dog parents plus have an idea of what the temperament and socialization of the dogs is like. Lots of variation.

We had Airedale terriers for 25 years. They are really intelligent and charismatic dogs, unlimited energy, and are a handful. As my wife says, they can really be butts. They don't shed, which is a huge plus. They don't retrieve, so you have to be creative to wear them down (running around on the beach all day works pretty well).

We lost our last Airedale last fall and decided that we needed to down size, and ended up with a Scottish terrier. I've never had a small dog before and didn't know what to expect, and ended up with a great dog who has energy to run around when we're running around and the ability to couch surf with the best of them. Smart, trainable, no shedding, keeps the squirrels away, great personality. A big terrier in a small package.

2014 Ducati Multistrada GT
2011 Norge GT 8V "Otto Valvole" (gone after 32k miles)
2001 BMW R1150 GS (gone after 100,000 miles)

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 05:34:48 PM »
We have a Lab Ridgeback cross. Looks like a yellow lab with a mohawk. Will play fetch until your arm falls off.

Then it will eat the arm.

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 12:09:57 PM »

Was a beauty.  Sorry for your loss.
Roman, '86 LM IV

Offline Seagondollar

• Gaggle Hero
  • Wake Forest, NC
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 12:19:14 PM »
I dated a lady some years ago that had a Ridgey (if I'm allow to call them that)  When I first met the dog, he warned me to be nice to his missus.  I believed him. :bow
2002 BMW 330i
1988 Toyota MR2
1974 V7 Sport
1989 Le Mans 1000 (V) - � morto

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 12:47:25 PM »
  Maybe that was just his tummy growling?

makarushka

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 01:52:15 PM »
Was a beauty.  Sorry for your loss.

Thank you. It was really terrible how suddenly the disease broke out and progressed and the following two months that I dragged the poor thing to all the doctors for all sorts of procedures in hope at first to diagnose and then to ease her suffering. Was absolutely heartbreaking and a grim learning experience on all fronts: about myself, about dogs, and about the ugly racket that the pet medical care can be. I put her down when she just would not have it anymore -- would not eat or move or do anything that morning. It remains my biggest regret that I did not do it sooner :((

Do you have your beautiful girl yet? She looks like a fantastic dog  :)

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 02:39:14 PM »
Not yet.  Weather prevented me going this week.  Shooting for Monday.  Hey, may even be able to make a work-related equipment pickup on the way and use a company vehicle.

;-T
Roman, '86 LM IV

Offline Loftness

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 03:38:24 PM »
She's beautiful!  Good for you guys.  I'm a sighthound guy, having owned both whippets and greyhounds, and I love the group.  They have boundless energy when you want them to, but also generally make great couch potatoes.  Enjoy!!
Fletch

2013 V7 Stone
1984 V65sp
1986 Vespa T5
1974 BMW R90/6

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2015, 09:15:58 PM »
Here's Oni.  She stared through the windshield for 4 hours before sacking out for the last 60 miles.  No lions to be seen on I-40.  In that long drive home she bonded with me to the point that she's indifferent to everyone else in the house.  Jumps and wags when I come through the door and follows me closely.  She's warming up to the rest of the family though.  She's definitely "my" dog for now.  95 lb lap dog.

Roman, '86 LM IV

oldbike54

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2015, 09:21:31 PM »
 Be careful , Oni seems to have trouble controlling her licker  ;D Lovely dog , good job Tobit  ;-T

Dusty

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here