Author Topic: Ingrown toenails - your counsel ? (Guzzi content)  (Read 10414 times)

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
Ingrown toenails - your counsel ? (Guzzi content)
« on: March 23, 2015, 08:01:10 PM »
I am wondering if I'll be able to make my planned ride (there's the Guzzi content) to my brother's place in AZ in two weeks.

I've got ingrown toenails giving me hell in my big toes. This is a recent problem, only the last couple of years, and I began getting pedicures every so often, and that cured it.

Then the gals who do my nails started to make faces, and talk to their coworkers, and look at me funny when I did not wince as they went deeper and deeper into my toes.

Now we're past that point. Friday I told the gal " Just go in and cut them out, it has to be done sooner or later". I can scarcely walk.

And I don't think it's over. I am going to see a podiatrist for the same thing only with drugs. The only question is before or after my ride (MORE Guzzi content).

Then today on my way home from work (on the bike, yes, EVEN MORE Guzzi content !) I realized I had the combined experience of (how many of us are on this forum?) a bunch of old guys who may have been down this road before (on GUZZIS !). Any suggestions or tales to tell?

« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 08:01:43 PM by normzone »
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Ingrown toenails - your counsel ? (Guzzi content)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 08:20:06 PM »
Go to a family physician who does procedures for treatment.  It's not a fun procedure but best to do it in a doctor's office.  Any foot problem is made more complex if diabetes is involved so make sure you're checked for that.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 08:23:45 PM »
I let mine grow out and trimmed to my toe edge. Trimmed em too close during my soccer days. Took a while but no more pain as they don't grow under the skin anymore.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 09:46:56 PM by MMNorth »
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline twinswin

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 10:16:13 PM »
Get a band aid, and wrap it snugly, not so tight as to cut circulation off, around your toe, sticky part on the nail, padded part on the inflamed part, directionally towards the outside of the grown-in side so it moves the skin back. Pull the skin back with the other hand from the bottom of the toe's pad as you pull the swath around, so the nail will grow but not further into the skin. Yes, a little painful at first. Leave it like that for a few days so the fleshy part reforms a bit and the nail grows out a bit, and then trim the nail but no so deep as before. In the mean time, the inflamed part is padded and will be more comfortable to live with until you can reform the nail. Riding should be okay.   

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 10:16:13 PM »

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 10:19:29 PM »
I let mine grow out and trimmed to my toe edge. Trimmed em too close during my soccer days. Took a while but no more pain as they don't grow under the skin anymore.

Exactly. Leave those suckers long enough to put holes in your socks, on the offending corner.
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline EvanM

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 10:20:49 PM »
I had both of my big toe nails grow into my toes before. They were in the sides of the toes. I had to go get them removed by the doctor. Basically, they injected my toes to make them numb, used some very large scissors to cut down the sides of the nails right to the root, and pulled them out. Then they chemically killed the nail bed on the sides. Hurt like hell for a few days, but I can't imagine not getting it done if I needed to again.

I'd say before the ride. If you can barely walk now, just imagine what it will be like in a few weeks!
2007 Breva 1100

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 11:17:57 PM »
I was afraid of this. [twinswin] says let it grow out with minor mods, and [EvanM] recommends getting it removed.

I know they used some oil on my feet when they were working on them - I wonder if it matters what kind it was ?   ;D
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 11:35:52 PM »
I know they used some oil on my feet when they were working on them - I wonder if it matters what kind it was ?   ;D
Sounds like it was snake oil? 
BTW, in opposition to the normal threads here, please no pics...   :P
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 01:26:46 AM »
  They can't ingrow if they are not there.  Just lop them off, or better, let a surgeon do it.
 Then you can wear shorter shoes too.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Dick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 03:04:57 AM »
I had both of my big toe nails grow into my toes before. They were in the sides of the toes. I had to go get them removed by the doctor. Basically, they injected my toes to make them numb, used some very large scissors to cut down the sides of the nails right to the root, and pulled them out. Then they chemically killed the nail bed on the sides. Hurt like hell for a few days, but I can't imagine not getting it done if I needed to again.

I'd say before the ride. If you can barely walk now, just imagine what it will be like in a few weeks!

This. It's been several years now and no problems. Good luck.

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 04:25:03 AM »
My Grandmother showed me a trick that has worked well for me, for years. Take a nail file ( i use a dremel with sanding drum) and file down the nail in the center from the cuticle all the way to the end of the nail, making it thin in the center about a 1/4" wide swath. the nail being thinner in the center will make both edges lift up and grow out, instead of digging in at the corners. I used to suffer from ingrown toenails until I started doing that trick. I just routinely when cutting my nails, file down the center section, and it kinda caves in, in the center a bit, but the nail edges will not grow inwards.  If the area between the nail and skin, gets infected, and reddened, I fill a water pik oral irrigator with warm salt water, and peroxide, then hold the tip about 6-8 inches above your toe, and shoot the solution into the area thats reddened/ with a pus discharge. It hurts like hell at first,if you have infection, when the jet of water shoots in there, but it will clean out that area , and disinfect it as well, sorta like a miniature "power washer"! Do this a couple of times a day, and they will heal up nicely.
Again, anyone who is a diabetic may want to see a podiatrist, but this do it yourself approach has worked for me.
Good Luck
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 08:32:44 AM »
Read 222 times
at least 200 people freaked out ???
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 08:49:07 AM »
I've been doing Rick's trick for years.  ;-T
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 10:09:22 AM »
The only sure cure that I am aware of is to let a Podiatrist cut them out and "poison the skin around the area where they grow.  My great grandfather, grandfather, father, brother, both of my sons, one of my grandsons and I all had this problem with out big toes on both feet.  Apparently, it is hereditary and I had problems with both of my big toes for years until I finally decided to get it taken care of.  Had mine done a little over twenty years ago (one side at a time) and although I could walk with a bandage and sandal, each side caused a lot of pain (gradually decreasing) for 10 days to 2 weeks.
Good luck with getting them out with as little discomfort as possible.
NO longer can ride

Offline Grokked

• New Egg
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 11:34:19 AM »
Had to deal with the ingrown nail situation on the big toe of my right foot about 8 years ago... went the surgery route, and it was done in a Podiatrist's office.  By the time of my follow-up appointment 10 days later, pain had been gone for  a day or three.  Have not had a problem since.

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 11:55:30 AM »
[Grokked] (nice handle), [jackson], thanks for your input. I think that's the way I'm leaning. I would have done the mechanical maintenance if I'd known of that a while back, but now I'm just going to close the loop.

Good information on the healing time as well.

Online bacongrease

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 04:30:52 PM »
  I had problems...read somewhere to cut the nail with a V shape in the middle  ...that took care of that.

do not round off the nail.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 04:31:41 PM by bacongrease »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2015, 04:46:23 PM »
Rats! I had one a couple of months ago,but I was afraid to ask here. Thought it might be too much NGC. Shoot man, we got experts on everything here :P   My advice---soak it in cider.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2015, 05:35:47 PM »
And we wonder why more young folks don't come to the rallies?  <shrug>  OMG now I'm doing it!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline EvanM

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2015, 06:02:22 PM »
And we wonder why more young folks don't come to the rallies?  <shrug>  OMG now I'm doing it!

Those young folk are missing out!!
2007 Breva 1100

Offline scra99tch

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2015, 07:32:15 PM »
I have heard the same thing as bigbikerick.  I just never had the patience and would rip the toe nail back because of the.  I was born with ingrown toe nails had the scissor procedure and acid treatment but they have come back as I don't cut the right.  Epsom salts works very well if infected can dry it out and you can peel away the dead stuff.

Good luck.
1974 Eldorado
2007 California Vintage

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 01:59:41 AM »

Them youngsters, or I should say, today's young generation has no appreciation for the finer things in life.....At the next rally, you know how some groups have a tech session, where they do hands on maintenance, on a few of the rally goers bikes..... We could have a group toenail maintenance session, you know, sit around the campfire, take off your boots, pass the dremel, and the nail clipper pliers around,demonstrate the finer points , including  an inservice, on proper application of anti fungal foot cream, then followed by a proper foot massage.
A few good cigars, a bottle or two of Grappa, man are we gonna have us a good time!   ;D
Rick.

"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline coastdude

• New Egg
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 02:23:08 AM »
I was suffering from a painfully ingrown nail on my big toe. Tried the cutting the v thing upon advice from my dad, didn't help me much and caught on my sock a lot. Booked into the doctor with my wife waiting in the car with a bottle of scotch she'd bought me. At the last minute the doctor said he didn't want to do it and sent me home. After a scotch or two I thought I'd have a go myself. Get some small, strong, sharp scissors and slip them under the nail down the side of the sore flesh as far as you can bear, make a snip back towards your foot. Now lever the loose bit of nail backwards and forward until it weakens and you can pull it out. Hurt and bled a bit but the relief was instant. I do this once every couple of years if it regrows and now that I know what to expect I need hardly any scotch.
Don't try to eat anything larger than your head
2015 V7II Special
1982 Ducati 600 Pantah

Online bacongrease

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2015, 05:19:46 PM »

Scotch...never tried it, but after this thread...good idea.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2015, 06:40:17 PM »
  Soak the toe in the scotch first for an hour, then drink it and do the work.
 It will disinfect the toe first and adds a piquant flavor to the scotch.
  I had to type this three times beause of the goddamn auto incorrect setvice.
  It kept spelling ecotch and disinfectt and even augo incorrect serveice.
  How can I get rid of it?

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2015, 06:40:55 PM »
Why do we have them, anyways?

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2015, 06:54:38 PM »
Why do we have them, anyways?

Scotches? 'cause we like 'em! :D
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 07:49:19 PM »
You can always visit Dawson city if you are in the Yukon and join the Sour Toe Coctail club. More fun than getting Hyderized.

http://dawsoncity.ca/attraction/sourtoe-cocktail-club/
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2015, 08:43:22 PM »
Scotches? 'cause we like 'em! :D

Aye we do laddy. :BEER:  There may even be a bottle or maybe two at CV.  :BEER: :BEER: :BEER:
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2015, 09:18:52 PM »
You can always visit Dawson city if you are in the Yukon and join the Sour Toe Coctail club. More fun than getting Hyderized.

http://dawsoncity.ca/attraction/sourtoe-cocktail-club/

I was going to donate my toes to them but the hospital wouldn't let me have them back after they cut them off.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here