Author Topic: Crawdads? NGC, naturally  (Read 11639 times)

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Crawdads? NGC, naturally
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2015, 06:15:14 AM »
Unless you're hoping for a reliable food source here, it might be worth thinking about a two pronged attack, wherein you enlist the support of some aquatic predator that could get the young ones in the pond.  Bluegills for example, but keep the number of adults down and provide cover for younger fish, they're the ones that will clean up the little crayfish before they start burrowing.  Gradual results are better than immediate extinction, you want a stable predator population that can take care of crayfish that will continue to re-infest the pond.  Pond owners in your area will have better information about what works.  I hope you don't have ducks or geese in there, my guess is that makes it a lot harder.

Well, I had hybrid bluegills and bass, but the blue herons and snapping turtles have pretty much cleaned out all the big ones.  :rolleyes: I've dispatched the turtles, but herons are protected. So far.  :cool: I'm seriously considering draining the pond and starting over..
Or filling it in.  :evil:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2015, 10:07:31 AM »
http://stevecreek.com/crawdad-chimney/

Maybe try crawdad gardening?

:food:

Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2015, 12:33:05 PM »
Some fishing line strung over the pond is supposed to make herons uncomfortable, if it's where they might run into it while flying in or out.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2015, 04:31:40 PM »
Some fishing line strung over the pond is supposed to make herons uncomfortable, if it's where they might run into it while flying in or out.

Never have heard of that one, thanks.  :thumb:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2015, 04:31:40 PM »

Offline Cam Lay

• Gosling
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2015, 08:42:26 PM »
Yes, those are crawfish. No, gasoline is not something we want in the water table.

Crustaceans are exquisitely sensitive to:
Sevin insecticide (carbaryl).
Copper sulfate.
Most synthetic pyrethroids (resmethrin, permethrin, cyhalothrin, cypermethrin, etc.)

None of that is legal, technically (but I am no longer in the pesticide-regulation business) but all of it is less toxic than gasoline. Copper and sulfur are normal components of many soils. Fish are far less sensitive to copper than crustacean, if that is an issue. Fish are very sensitive to pyrethroid insecticides, also.

Email me for more info if you need it.

Good luck,
C
Biology is destiny.  Culture is ecology.  Most things are beetles.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2015, 06:05:30 AM »
Yes, those are crawfish. No, gasoline is not something we want in the water table.

Crustaceans are exquisitely sensitive to:
Sevin insecticide (carbaryl).
Copper sulfate.
Most synthetic pyrethroids (resmethrin, permethrin, cyhalothrin, cypermethrin, etc.)

None of that is legal, technically (but I am no longer in the pesticide-regulation business) but all of it is less toxic than gasoline. Copper and sulfur are normal components of many soils. Fish are far less sensitive to copper than crustacean, if that is an issue. Fish are very sensitive to pyrethroid insecticides, also.

Email me for more info if you need it.

Good luck,
C

Alrighty now.. Thanks, Cam. I knew there'd be someone on WG with the definitive answer. I have copper sulphate for the occasional algae bloom from farm field fertilizer runoff. Normally my windmill hooked to a couple of aeration stones keeps it clear, though, so a use for it would be good.
PM sent shortly.. :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2015, 09:49:36 AM »
None of that is legal, technically (but I am no longer in the pesticide-regulation business) but all of it is less toxic than gasoline.

Cool, better than gasoline.  It's a shame that in the USA it could be "technically" illegal to poison your own land, with stuff that after all beats the gasoline we'd otherwise be pouring in the soil.

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2015, 01:52:53 PM »
Cool, better than gasoline.  It's a shame that in the USA it could be "technically" illegal to poison your own land, with stuff that after all beats the gasoline we'd otherwise be pouring in the soil.
If you could guarantee that it would stay on your land, and if there were some way to make sure any future buyer of your land is informed of what you dumped on it, then maybe I'd agree with your sentiment.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2015, 02:19:31 PM »
If you could guarantee that it would stay on your land, and if there were some way to make sure any future buyer of your land is informed of what you dumped on it, then maybe I'd agree with your sentiment.

Well, It's not like I'm going to be making a nuclear waste dump here.  :smiley: Copper Sulphate is approved to put in ponds to control algae, for instance. Cam is *very* knowledgeable on use of pesticides and herbicides. He'll give me a method that is safe.
Getting to be about time for my annual contribution to WG. The things I've learned here are priceless.. :thumb:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2015, 02:39:54 PM »
He'll give me a method that is safe.

And legal, I would hope.

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2015, 08:52:35 AM »
And legal, I would hope.

Don't doubt Cam's ability, Dr Bug is the man.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

father guzzi obrian

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2015, 09:01:57 AM »
Chuck, you've received a bunch of info, don't rule out really small aliens.....

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2015, 03:10:41 PM »
Chuck, you've received a bunch of info, don't rule out really small aliens.....

D'oh! Sometimes, you can't see the forest for the trees..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline hooah54

• Hatchling
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2015, 04:44:10 PM »
I think crawdad is a true southern expression.  In NC they call them crayfish...not a damn thing fishy about them but the smell.  Amazing creatures that can live in raw sewage...think about that the next time you want to suck on one.
'85 MG  Cal II, '03 BMW R1150R, '09 Piaggio MP3 250 ie

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2015, 05:05:14 PM »

That sounds illegal, and downright cruel
kinda like someone tying a rope across a road, and waiting for a motorcyclist to come by

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2015, 05:15:09 PM »
The idea is to use visible line with ribbon stringers -- nobody wants to hurt the birds.  They won't get in the landing pattern if the approach isn't clear.   :smiley:

oldbike54

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2015, 05:36:30 PM »
The idea is to use visible line with ribbon stringers -- nobody wants to hurt the birds.  They won't get in the landing pattern if the approach isn't clear.   :smiley:

Yeah , birds are really pretty smart . Well , except for those two honkers that kept circling my house last night , seems their much vaunted ability to find water to rest up overnight was absent in these two  :shocked: The neighborhood dog who was hanging out on our porch thought he was gonna have goose for dinner  :grin:

Dusty

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2015, 05:45:47 PM »
  So is it legal to clothesline herons?
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2015, 01:11:58 AM »
The idea is to use visible line with ribbon stringers -- nobody wants to hurt the birds.  They won't get in the landing pattern if the approach isn't clear.

Well, honestly I believe the attraction of fishing line in particular is that they can't see for sure where it is.  If it's low to the water, I think the effect is served pretty well without much real danger to the bird.

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2015, 02:17:00 AM »
I can tell you that there is no better bait for bass than crayfish! They can be devilish with yourine, but chances are they won't get far if there's a hungry fish nearby. I don't think they'd be that hard to lure into a baited trap.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here