Author Topic: V7ii oil leak  (Read 12282 times)

Offline CapitalGoose

• New Egg
V7ii oil leak
« on: November 02, 2015, 08:58:36 AM »
Mornin' ladies 'n' gents,

So my brand new V7ii has an oil leak. I couldn't believe the little spots on the driveway were oil, at least not from MY Lucy, right? Then I remembered she's Italian...

Just had the 600 mile service done a few weeks ago. No leak prior to the service, definitely a leak now. I haven't done the whole "talc on the pan" trick to see where the oil is coming from yet. Is this a warranty issue or is it a dealer mechanic messing up issue? In other words, should I find the leak then spend my hard earned $$ fixing it OR should I take it back to the dealer and have them undo what (potentially) may have gone wrong during the post break-in service?

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Crash

Offline CapitalGoose

• New Egg
Re: V7ii oil leak
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 09:06:14 AM »
I would take it back to the dealer.  Could be the oil filter cover or drain plugs.  I would bet on it being an error on the part of the mechanic.

Thanks John!

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 09:17:38 AM »
Before you do that, take a look underneath the bike. It could really be from an over filled sump blowing out the airbox, or something minor.

And, although it is not relevant here, remember that joke played on other riders. You would stop for coffee, and while everyone is inside someone would pour a little oil underneath a guy's bike.
Point it out later, and he'd be horrified.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

oldbike54

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 09:24:56 AM »
Before you do that, take a look underneath the bike. It could really be from an over filled sump blowing out the airbox, or something minor.

And, although it is not relevant here, remember that joke played on other riders. You would stop for coffee, and while everyone is inside someone would pour a little oil underneath a guy's bike.

HD's and Limeys weren't actually leaking then ? Dang , and after all these years ... :laugh:

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 09:24:56 AM »

canuguzzi

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 10:17:00 AM »
Why jump to the conclusion the dealer is the cause?  Finding the source should take just a little effort on your part, then go from there.

Maybe your V7 doesn't like being called Lucy and referred to as "she".

Just be sure to report it as a leak or drip and not a tinkle. :wink:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 10:20:07 AM by Norge Pilot »

Offline CapitalGoose

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 12:59:43 PM »
Why jump to the conclusion the dealer is the cause?  Finding the source should take just a little effort on your part, then go from there.

Maybe your V7 doesn't like being called Lucy and referred to as "she".

Just be sure to report it as a leak or drip and not a tinkle. :wink:

Well considering I haven't brought a wrench anywhere near the bike yet, the dealer did the service, and it wasn't leaking beforehand...

OTOH it could just as easily have been something else. Not saying that the dealer is "in the wrong" but SOMETHING has changed!

I was just asking you folks as a first line of attack. I'll clean her up and find out where its leaking from prior to taking her back to the dealer to get looked at.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 01:11:50 PM by CapitalGoose »

Offline CapitalGoose

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 01:05:16 PM »

Interesting... didn't know about this. But does this mean there'll be oil IN the airbox?   :shocked:

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 01:16:08 PM »
Tech may have spilled a bit.  Also, the washer for the dipstick needs to be correctly seated or it'll weep oil.
I know firsthand!  Easy to check.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline CapitalGoose

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 01:32:25 PM »
Tech may have spilled a bit.  Also, the washer for the dipstick needs to be correctly seated or it'll weep oil.
I know firsthand!  Easy to check.

Thought about that. Wiped up excess oil and went for a ride. Still had a few drips after the ride. This could have been that there was more oil spilled that just warmed up during the ride and dripped down (without actually having a leak) I don't know.

I need to do a good thorough check when I get home!

Thanks for all the advice y'all!

I'm especially intrigued about the overfilled sump point.

Crash

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 03:15:58 PM »
Check your dipstick after a ride.  See where the oil level is at.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 12:22:33 AM »
Where does the oil fall from?

If it is underneath from about where the motor meets the bell housing it could mean either a leak from the engine main seal or the gearbox main seal.  Next thing then would be, is it engine oil or gearbox oil?  On the five speed box at least there is a small slot in the bell housing to let oil out if it finds it's way in there.  A paper towel placed underneath it over night will let you see if it is coloured engine oil or let you sniff if is acrid smelling EP gearbox oil.

Either way, it is the dealers responsibility under warranty.  Just helps if you know what it is yourself.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 05:49:50 AM »
Thought about that. Wiped up excess oil and went for a ride. Still had a few drips after the ride. This could have been that there was more oil spilled that just warmed up during the ride and dripped down (without actually having a leak) I don't know.

No, that almost never is the case.

Check it out and let us know what IS leaking now.

Hopefully just something silly/simple.

BTW, what dealer did you take it to for service, please don't tell us Speeds.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline CapitalGoose

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 07:42:09 AM »
Hi guys,

So I  STILL haven't checked thoroughly (I don't get home until well after dark so I think my uber thorough check will have to wait until the weekend. Until then, I'm just not going to ride).

Service was at LaMoto in Arlington. I think  these guys are pretty good at what they do. Also, this is the first bike I've owned. I'm pretty good with cars, but I'm just not sure as to what to expect with the bike. SO this may be something minor, like just a bit too much oil that's escaping (somehow, I still don't get this part).

I checked the bike last night. I wiped everything down after my last ride and there didn't seem to be any additional oil on the bottom of the pan like before or any additional drips. I don't see any oil on the heads themselves. Really only past the dipstick and on the bottom left of the sump. Doesn't appear to be coming from the drain plugs either...

I think that perhaps its only leaking/coming out somehow when I'm riding (i.e. when the engine/oil is warm or shaking/moving). Unless it has miraculously healed itself or (somehow) gotten rid of the excess oil, I'm at a loss.

I checked the dipstick and the oil level looks OK. Admittedly though, the bike was on its sidestand, so probably not super accurate. I hate waiting until there is enough light for me to do a more thorough examination, but unfortunately with the end of daylight savings time, I just can't make it back to VA from B'more early enough!

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 07:58:50 AM »
Ah, I take it you're not riding it to work then.

No biggie, wait for the weekend, and you'll figure it out.

I really don't think it is overfilling.

Probably something simple.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 10:13:55 AM »
If you have the invoice for the 1'st service check to see if there are 3 drain plug bolt gaskets listed.  We use GU01528930 for all drain plug gaskets because they do not leak.  Uou should also find a oil filter bolt gasket  GU12154200.  We do not change the o-rings for the dipstick or oil filter unless thay have been deformed in some fashion.
Walt
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline CapitalGoose

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2015, 10:55:04 AM »
If you have the invoice for the 1'st service check to see if there are 3 drain plug bolt gaskets listed.  We use GU01528930 for all drain plug gaskets because they do not leak.  Uou should also find a oil filter bolt gasket  GU12154200.  We do not change the o-rings for the dipstick or oil filter unless thay have been deformed in some fashion.
Walt

Thanks Walter! I'll check it when I get home.

Offline CapitalGoose

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2015, 07:42:20 AM »
UPDATE,

Seems that the plug gaskets were changed. Thanks for the heads up Walter.

BUT the leak is coming from the seam b/w the transmission and the engine (not trans. oil, but engine oil). Probably a gasket. Took her in, the service guy (Dan) said the same thing. Looks like Muzz is the winner for guessing the source!  :bow:

Kinda bummed that I have no bike for a while  :cry:

BUT the weather has been pretty crappy, so maybe its for the better.

FYI Alex, is no longer at LaMoto (apparently he got a gig in Germany).

Thanks again, gents, for the advice.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2015, 07:52:28 AM »
Probably a gasket.

Eeks! If it is truly coming from there, it about has to be a rear main seal. Highly unlikely on a new bike, but......
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline CapitalGoose

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2015, 07:57:13 AM »
Eeks! If it is truly coming from there, it about has to be a rear main seal. Highly unlikely on a new bike, but......

Yeah I know! I guess these things happen though. Perhaps not enough time warming up...

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2015, 08:01:22 AM »
You guys sure it's not leaking higher up and just finding its way down to that point to drip?
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline CapitalGoose

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2015, 08:32:00 AM »
You guys sure it's not leaking higher up and just finding its way down to that point to drip?

No sir, not sure at all (on my part, can't speak for the tech). What you've suggested may, in fact be the case, but it's leaking from somewhere and the drip was right at the seam.

They've got the bike now. I'll call later today and see if I can't get a diagnosis...

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2015, 08:44:57 AM »
Fingers crossed.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2015, 10:53:18 AM »
Yeah I know! I guess these things happen though. Perhaps not enough time warming up...
[/b]

Naa, shouldn't affect a seal. I still have my doubts about that main seal leaking.. especially since it just started when the bike was serviced.  :evil:
Where it's "leaking" is just the low point on the bell housing. About any leak from above will drip there.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline CapitalGoose

• New Egg
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2015, 12:37:29 PM »
HAHAHAHAAAA!

Well... first: I'm an idiot.

Got a call from the dealer, "After a long and arduous build, we've determined that the washer on the dipstick was torn and replaced it. Your bike's ready [you imbecile] for pickup"

Thanks for the

Fingers crossed.

That's probably what did it.

Sheesh. Color me embarrassed.

LongRanger

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2015, 01:17:05 PM »
Not at all. Color yourself fortunate. Not sure if yours is the same as my V7 Classic, but my dipstick had a tendency to loosen and spin off on its own. Make sure yours is snugged appropriately.

canuguzzi

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2015, 02:21:30 PM »
A simple thing to check for if it happens again. How does a rubber washer on the dipstick get torn?

More likely, torn when it left the factory and the dipstick was put in tightly, next service not as much resulting in the drips. How many people look at that washer to check unless they have a drip?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 02:28:05 PM by Norge Pilot »

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2015, 03:23:37 PM »
UPDATE,

BUT the leak is coming from the seam b/w the transmission and the engine (not trans. oil, but engine oil). Probably a gasket. Took her in, the service guy (Dan) said the same thing. Looks like Muzz is the winner for guessing the source!  :bow:

Pleased to hear it is just the dipstick O ring! :thumb:  Oil leaks can be hard to source sometimes,  especially when the oil is clean.  The joint between the motor and the bell housing does not have a gasket as it does not need to seal anything.  Engine oil from there would be the rear oil seal on the on the crankshaft.  Bet the dealer was happy it was just the O ring!

I had the oil leak on the Breva under warranty,  in my case it was the main seal on the gearbox.

I carry a pair of pipe tongs in my tool kit to snug up the dipstick.  Had mine pop out while on a motorway.  Suddenly realised I had the dreaded slippery boot syndrome.  Fortunately found a piece of foam right where I pulled up so I stuffed that in the hole.  Keep an eye on it.  There have been various other solutions posted on WG to stop it coming undone,  it has been known to happen before.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

akhileshb@hotmail.com

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2015, 05:29:59 PM »
Glad it worked out for you.
 :laugh:

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2015, 07:41:15 PM »
A simple thing to check for if it happens again. How does a rubber washer on the dipstick get torn?

More likely, torn when it left the factory and the dipstick was put in tightly, next service not as much resulting in the drips. How many people look at that washer to check unless they have a drip?

The O-ring on the Smallblock dipstick is poorly designed. Instead of sitting in a groove that is perpendicular to the shaft of the stick it is parallel (basically hanging under the head of the stick). It allows the o-ring to drop out of position sometimes when you install the dipstick and it can tear as you thread it.

The real danger is if it drops off completely and you don't notice it, or it is completely out of position, then the stick can loosen in service and people have lost the dipsticks.

So anyone who has checked the oil could have torn the gasket. Of course if the dealer was the last person then yeah, they either did it or missed it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 07:45:21 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

elvisboy77

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2015, 08:11:49 PM »
HAHAHAHAAAA!

Well... first: I'm an idiot.

Got a call from the dealer, "After a long and arduous build, we've determined that the washer on the dipstick was torn and replaced it. Your bike's ready [you imbecile] for pickup"

Thanks for the

That's probably what did it.

"

Sheesh. Color me embarrassed.

Glad you found it!

Back in the 80's when I was traveling crossed country on a 1984 Guzzi V65 I happened into the Seattle Guzzi shop, and asked about an oil leak.  I'll never forget what they said- " a little oil can make a big mess.

I'm really glad it was such an easy fix !

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here