Author Topic: Consider getting a shingles -  (Read 14072 times)

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Consider getting a shingles -
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2018, 10:19:22 AM »
Shingrix is quickly emerging as the standard of care.  Thanks for reviving this thread.  Shingles is nasty. I still have some residual symptoms from my 2015 case of ocular/trigeminal shingles.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline Cross-tie Walker

• Gosling
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2018, 10:39:16 AM »
Until you're 60, insurance generally won't pay for. Then, it is covered 100% by the Affordable Care Act.
Kevin in Seattle
'72 Eldo
'07 Vintage

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2018, 04:59:51 PM »
Have just had Typhoid and Hep A jabs (along with my flu shot) prior to heading to Vietnam. Out here, us Golden Oldies get the shingles shot for free. Wanted to add it to the list but my Dr's nurse has said i have to wait a fortnight after getting those three. After reading this I will waiting at her door!

My wife has decided not to get it. I have just been reading some of the horror stories from this thread. :thewife: Perhaps she will reconsider.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Vince in Milwaukee

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2018, 03:50:02 AM »
Went and got my - at the VA yesterday.  Best part of the deal, it didn't cost me a dime.  Called in to work this morning as I'm having trouble raising my arm.  I do heavy lifting and operate a piece of power machinery.  Should be good to go by tomorrow, but figured why take a chance today.  Was told to return in 2-6 months to get it in the other arm.  After reading postings on here, and hearing from friends who have had shingles, a little discomfort for a day or two is a small price to pay. 
1984 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III, 1986 California II
Gone but not forgotten:
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambo, 1994 BMW K75RTw/ABS, 1996 BMW R1100RT, and 1993 BMW K75

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2018, 03:50:02 AM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2018, 09:20:03 AM »
Until you're 60, insurance generally won't pay for. Then, it is covered 100% by the Affordable Care Act.

Just a note of clarification - It's not covered by the ACA; it's required by the ACA to be covered by your private or ACA Marketplace insurance plan (no out-of-pocket expense) IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT.    When the monthly premium for our "ACA Marketplace" bronze (lowest coverage) plan went over $2000/month, we dropped it.

Life is much easier (and doctor's fees much lower) if you just pay for that sort of thing yourself, at least in our case.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2018, 09:41:03 AM »
Just got the first of two shots this am.  Not covered by our insurance.  200 per shot.  Cheap insurance, I say.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2018, 09:55:40 AM »
Oddly enough, I'm getting a "Shingles - Dangers" add at the top of the page.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:58:43 AM by rdbandkab »

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2018, 09:57:30 AM »
I asked my Doc at the vets hospital when I was there yesterday. they knew about the new - but didn't have it. my record says I've had two vaccinations previously but said when they got the new one I should get it. I will, that's something I sure don't want after hearing how nasty it is.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2018, 12:30:27 PM »
Hardest thing for me to believe is that someone will waffle on taking care of themselves, and risking the torture of shingles, a colostomy bag, or a missing foot because they can't get someone else to pay $300 for the preventative? 

People here pay $1500 for a upgrade alloy wheel or $600 for their 14th pistol, but won't pay for a shot to prevent getting gravely ill?

Lannis

Well being three score and 4 years old I've usually lost something when I "did what was medically suggested".  All in all, I have done much better because I don't let the Surgeons cut on me multiple times.

As they say "your results may vary". 

Still, I don't fit the mold.  I've never paid for alloy wheels and I only have 8 handguns four of which I use in Competition and I've learned not to trust the Medical-Industrial Complex.

Money just comes to hard for me.  I'd rather spend it on fishing or helping the kids.

Mark

Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2018, 06:15:38 PM »
Out of pocket costs were over $3,500 when I got it.  Emergency room visits, clinic visits etc, etc.     It took about 2+ years for the nerve endings on the left side of my face to quit tingling. 
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

jlburgess

« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2018, 12:07:27 PM »
I got my shot on a Thursday and became dead tired Friday afternoon.  A long nap plus an 13 hour snoozefest was required before I felt better.  I wouldn't recommed getting the - early in the work week.  :shocked:

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2018, 12:36:41 PM »
I have never had Mumps or Chickenpox so my doc just gave me a MMR -.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2018, 03:23:47 PM »
Due to lingering effects of Lyme (bartonella) disease my doc will not let me get the -.
My brother just got it and had a big fever and swollen and high heart rate. It wiped him out.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2018, 06:18:55 PM »
Out of pocket costs were over $3,500 when I got it.  Emergency room visits, clinic visits etc, etc.     It took about 2+ years for the nerve endings on the left side of my face to quit tingling.

Yes, but look at the money you saved by not getting the shot!! :sad: Did you eventually get the shot? I think you have to wait 6 months after the shingles before you get the shot.

Tex

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2018, 02:21:44 AM »
Yes, but look at the money you saved by not getting the shot!! :sad: Did you eventually get the shot? I think you have to wait 6 months after the shingles before you get the shot.
Tex

At 6 months I went to Costco (no membership needed for drugs or shots) and dropped $201.50 on the counter (1.50 hot dog and pop).  We'll be doing it again when we get back home for the new 2 shot treatment.    Yup, I have a better change of getting struck by lightning then getting ill from a shot!   :popcorn:
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2018, 10:21:29 AM »
One thing not mentioned here is that there are treatments for shingles IF you start it immediately upon 1st symptoms in 24 hours. Valtrex is one of them and I believe there are 2 other anti-virals used. So if you find yourself with an early outbreak run to the doc in the box and get started. The studies show that these drugs can reduce not only the length of the outbreak but the severity of it including reducing long term side effects.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2018, 04:22:02 PM »
I'm glad this subject came up, I've been meaning to get the shingles shot too but kept forgetting; it's hell getting old!
But, I went to the pharmacy a few hours ago, where I usually get my annual flu shots, and my very cute and single pharmacist (again, too old  :tongue:) said she could give me the shot, no problem. She also said the older -, which was 50% effective, had been replaced beginning last January with a new serum that's 98% effective, if I came back in 4-6 months for a followup 2nd injection. She ran my insurance card thru as a dry run and it came back with -0- copay due, so I went ahead and had her shoot me up. I even got a $5.00 coupon to use the next time I'm in the store!
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
'00 Jackal,'89 Mille GT,'03 Cali Stone
4 Airheads, '88 K75,'99 BMW R1100R
___________________ ___________
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Mark Twain

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2018, 05:46:03 PM »
I'm glad this subject came up, I've been meaning to get the shingles shot too but kept forgetting; it's hell getting old!
But, I went to the pharmacy a few hours ago, where I usually get my annual flu shots, and my very cute and single pharmacist (again, too old  :tongue:) said she could give me the shot, no problem. She also said the older -, which was 50% effective, had been replaced beginning last January with a new serum that's 98% effective, if I came back in 4-6 months for a followup 2nd injection. She ran my insurance card thru as a dry run and it came back with -0- copay due, so I went ahead and had her shoot me up. I even got a $5.00 coupon to use the next time I'm in the store!
Way to go NC Steve!  (ps you're never too old)
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2018, 06:08:12 PM »
Way to go NC Steve!  (ps you're never too old)

Oh, I know I'm not too old, I just doubt that she'd agree with me! :evil:
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
'00 Jackal,'89 Mille GT,'03 Cali Stone
4 Airheads, '88 K75,'99 BMW R1100R
___________________ ___________
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Mark Twain

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here