Author Topic: V7 - Long distance touring?  (Read 20858 times)

Offline Beaver

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V7 - Long distance touring?
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2017, 09:48:16 PM »
In addition to the trips to John Day, Oregon and Canada that Texas Turnip told you about, I also rode my 2013 V7 Stone to the New Hampshire National and Iowa, from East Texas.  It handled great on big highways and secondary roads.  Yes, when it is super windy, I was really leaning into the wind, and I was blown around in extra strong gusts! I added side bags, windshield, and crash bars to the Stone, but that's all I've done.  Still has original seat which I find comfortable.  I have also toured on a Breva 1100 and a Jackal.  The V7 Stone was as comfortable as the bigger ones.  The only thing else I'd like to add is highway pegs.  I ride loaded with camping gear, chairs, and other stuff strapped to the luggage rack and seat, but no cooking stuff.

Beaver
MGNOC TX Rep
Lindale, TX

Offline Dofin

• Gosling
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2017, 10:26:10 PM »
I agree whole heartedly, the Suzuki WeeStrome 650 is a wonderful all around bike!!  My preference would be to take the Suzuki over the V7.  But then you would not be riding A V7 some times a person wants what a person wants????? :drool:
76' Yamaha RD400
76' Suzuki GT500
89' Honda PC800
15' Guzzi V7 Stone

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2017, 10:43:33 PM »
So here's the thing:

1. I admit I skimmed but no one seemed to be (or is likely) wrong.

2. These threads can't really answer your question.

The reason is we're all just too different in levels of desire or tolerance.

I see people run the IBR on a 250 or a Sportster. Others can't tour without a Wing or Glide.

I'm completely in the middle.

I love touring on the V7, there's plenty of room for me (solo) to camp (though I don't do it much anymore) and TONS of room for me to hotel it.

It's not the best highway machine, but my preferred method of travel is backroads.

Then again some would be fine running highways.

It's all on you. And that's not a bad thing. But it just means we can't honestly answer the question for you.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2017, 06:21:08 AM »
Should I buy this? Can I tour on this? Should I use this oil?

Should I marry the woman I met at the Mensa meeting or the slut puppy I met at the No Clap Lap Dance Club? Please HELP. I can't think for myself.

Tex

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2017, 06:21:08 AM »

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2017, 08:22:57 AM »
Dudes, chill.  I fully realize you can't answer what will work for me.  I was going to try out smaller weekend trips on my own.  Then my V7 was stolen. It looks like I'll have to buy another bike of some kind.  I'd prefer not to waste money (now that surely is red suspender worthy).  So I'm doing the equivalent of reading bike reviews from people who have actually lived it and I respect to not bs.  I know my mileage may vary but it's helpful and I'm thankful for people sharing their experience and time.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2017, 08:43:31 AM »
So is there an objective question we can answer about the bike for you? Something you won't have known from owning one?
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2017, 08:55:08 AM »
Yup, and you all have.  Appreciate it.

The question I have for the forum is whether folks have done touring (week/multi week) trips on their V7, if they'd do it again, and what changes (if any) they made to make it comfortable.  I guess also whether it included freeway time or whether it was the smaller roads.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2017, 09:03:46 AM »
Ok a few thoughts after reading more in depth:

Wow, the incremental changes are noticeable compared to my V7.  The only thing I don't like is it feels a bit shorter.

< Snip >

It feels lighter but I've been assured it's actually a few pounds heavier. 

Those two items are likely related. It feels lighter because the center of gravity is a hair lower.

Likely the Wee Strom feels heavy for the opposite reason, taller center of gravity.

And I totally understand your feelings about the BMW. That's why I stopped riding them more than a decade ago when I discovered Guzzi.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 09:32:13 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2017, 09:25:21 AM »
I have also toured on a Breva 1100 and a Jackal.  The V7 Stone was as comfortable as the bigger ones.  The only thing else I'd like to add is highway pegs.   

Ok I know we're heading into deep into subjective territory, but it's funny that you mention the same 3 Guzzis I owned.

I will say that if I needed to be 3 states away by dinner time I'd choose the B11 or Jackal over the V7 every time.

They were both unequivocally better highway machines to me. Why? Wheelbase, weight, suspension, power, all of the above? I dunno. They just felt more stable and less hurried in those conditions.

If I had to be 3 states away tonight I'd choose my RK first, my Sporty second, my V7 last. I COULD do it on all 3, but I'd enjoy it least on the V7 for the reasons given earlier.

Of course my wife would choose her Duc first for anything. But then again by 300 miles she's shooting daggers from her eyes that say "get me a hotel, a hot meal, and a drink".

I'll note one thing about the 3 Guzzis at the beginning of this reply. The Jackal probably fit my ergonomic preferences best. Both the Breva and V7 have a similar bend to the knees that starts to cramp up a bit by maybe the 200 mile mark and never really goes away after that despite taking breaks and stretching.

This alone probably explains my preference for bikes that place my feet just a little in front of my hips instead of below them. Jay recently emailed me a link for lowering pegs that a scoffed at because I have other bikes I'll likely tour on more, but if your knees make for similar restraints that could be the answer.

And lastly the stock seat just sucks for someone my size. I've been largely using a take off Café seat which is a little better but by that 200 mile mark I feel it cutting into the underside of the top of my legs a bit too much.

YMMV of course.

Bottom line though it took me years, maybe even decades to figure out my preferences after buying and trying to enjoy multiple bikes of styles/ergos that don't fit me as well (B11, R1100, Buell ST3 etc.).

So my real answer to you is that if the V7III speaks to you just go for it. It's only a bike and not a life-long commitment.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 09:34:04 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2017, 09:26:49 AM »
Yeah, I think I'm rediscovering physics on the height thing.  I want maximum leg room(knee and hip pain on longer rides) but it comes at a price.  Trade-offs.

I did rediscover a blog someone made about riding two-up from BC to Ontario on a 50 cc scooter in 11 days  (I think I may have seen the link on Wild Guzzi originally).  Contrasts nicely with my whinging about a seat being hard. ;)
http://scootercanada.weebly.com To be fair, they were young and probably still bounced.

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2017, 09:39:12 AM »
So my real answer to you is that if the V7III speaks to you just go for it. It's only a bike and not a life-long commitment.
True 'dat.  I'm cheap and just hoping to avoid the $ trade in loss if I'm wrong.  But grins rarely truly lead you astray.
Thanks for additional ergo thoughts and comparisons.  Reading that, I'll definitely try the Roamer.  I've not been a pegs forward kind of person but bodies change.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 09:39:52 AM by Rhodan »

Offline M0T0Geezer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • The Ones I Rode
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2017, 10:07:50 AM »
[quote author=Rhodan Have you ridden the V7?  Wondering about a comfort comparison.  I'd been interested in the Breva 750 when I was originally looking for a bike 3 or 4 years ago but couldn't find one.
[/quote]

Yes, I briefly rode a V7 II just yesterday (thanks alanp).  The main difference in ergos for the V7 II were the wider, flatter bars.  My stock Breva 750 bars have a narrower, almost-"cafe" style droop to them.  Since I ride only paved roads, I prefer them.  If you are riding more "adventure" surfaces, then I think you will like the V7 II better (more leverage for the rough stuff).

The six-speed of the V7 II was more of a novelty to me than providing any riding or performance benefit.  The fueling was flawless from the factory (my Breva 750 required a major mapping tweak on the ECU).  But these impressions were for maybe a 20 minuite experience.  Your results may vary.

... or maybe alanp has a V7 III  - my ossified brain just can't keep all the Guzzi 750 versions straight.

'Geezer
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 10:15:04 AM by M0T0Geezer »
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 USA

My 65+ years of motorcycling here:

http://www.dansher.com/mywheels.htm

Wisdom from the road:

http://www.dansher.com/bikequotes.html

Play guitar or keyboard?  You will like:

http://www.dansher.com/audio/pdf_tunes.html

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2017, 05:46:22 PM »
While you are still test riding bikes, DO have a decent go on the V7III RACER. The demo I recently rode was a revelation - even after my older V7s with upgraded suspension & the V7II Racer I tried out.  I don't know if Peter Stevens, the Australian distributors, had spent some effort in setting the suspension properly (I would have in their place), but the Ohlins on the rear & whatever they have up front were dialled in perfectly for me (around 175lbs & 33in inside leg) & it floated over the harsh bumps on the Old Road. Others I spoke to had a similar reaction. But do note that both my usual rides sport Racer rear sets & dropped bars & that I find the 1100 Sport comfortable, especially over long distances. This Racer (the III) also wears a premium solo seat - ribbed without that seam that annoys some people's inside thighs. I would think that once run in well & with a less restrictive exhaust, it would be a delight. The matt chrome of the tank was another point in it's favour. With the advantage of hindsight, spending the extra on a Racer would have been cheaper than building the Classic or a Special up to a similar spec.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2017, 06:32:12 PM »
It is all perception.  750cc was a big dam bike when I started riding.  My Yamaha XS750 had full touring complement and a windjammer frame mounted fairing and I would have taken that bike anywhere.

On a V7 Stone or Special, I would have no issues touring the backroads of America. 

I did 17 states in 3 weeks on a Versys 650 back in '12.

Just get a big dry bag from Walmart or camping supply and strap it down. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2017, 08:56:42 PM »
It is all perception.  750cc was a big dam bike when I started riding.  My Yamaha XS750 had full touring complement and a windjammer frame mounted fairing and I would have taken that bike anywhere.

Wow! I also had an XS750 I bought new in '77 and had for 35 years. Great bike, a little on the heavy side, but great at speed. I rode it up and down California. It was a good compliment to my RD400.
Kirk

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2017, 11:26:22 PM »
What about a V9? Theyr'e as ugly as a hatful of assholes but they look low in the seat, more grunt than a V7, (I hope!), luggage room looks acceptable, ergo's? Dunno...not too heavy I imagine and possibly half as good as a Norge, which can be no bad thing.
Get a good second hand one, or borrow one then suck it and see!

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2017, 11:36:37 PM »
Dudes, chill.  I fully realize you can't answer what will work for me.  I was going to try out smaller weekend trips on my own.  Then my V7 was stolen. It looks like I'll have to buy another bike of some kind.  I'd prefer not to waste money (now that surely is red suspender worthy).  So I'm doing the equivalent of reading bike reviews from people who have actually lived it and I respect to not bs.  I know my mileage may vary but it's helpful and I'm thankful for people sharing their experience and time.
Fair a bloody nough too mate.
You weren't asking people to "think for you" just add perspective to your vision, and a chat never hurt anyone. You will own your final decision no doubt.
I'd be the worst person to ask though,'cos I've got 130,000 on my Norge and if I destroyed it today in Amsterdam, I'd buy one exactly the same when I got home to Oz.
From my little outings, I've formed the impression that any bike that's good at "everything" is not fabulous at "anything.
But I've only ridden 3 other Guzzies for 10 minutes each.

pete roper

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2017, 05:45:37 AM »
In the very early 1980's I toured all over Western Europe on a really shitty V50-II. Before that my European touring had been on my shitty 1957 Triumph 500T, (There is something cosmic about riding a bike the same ade as you!). I've since toured the US on a V1000 Convert, a G12 and a Mana GT.

If anyone thinks they can't tour on a V7 for any other reason than comfort they are a weed and a softcoque who deserves derision one scorn!

The reason why I wouldn't want to is because of the crappy, obsolescent frame and cycle parts rather than any worries about its performance per se. Quite simply I rode that package of cycle parts back in the early '80's on the V50-II, it was fun then but I was a lot younger then too. Nowadays my buggered old body likes suspension that suspends, brakes that work and a chassis that doesn't always feel like it's going to let you down if you push it. Others obviously have less demanding standards and that's fine.

Pete

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2017, 06:12:56 AM »

What about a V9?

and possibly half as good as a Norge,

Or possibly twice as good as a Norge.

And while we're on the subject, arguably much better looking too.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2017, 06:53:25 AM »
If the F800ST was almost good enough for you, try the F800GT.  I was tempted by that one.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2017, 07:04:43 AM »
If the F800ST was almost good enough for you, try the F800GT.  I was tempted by that one.
Maybe I'm reading him wrong, but I thought he was saying the issue was an overall feel kinda thing.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2017, 09:02:51 AM »

Or possibly twice as good as a Norge.

And while we're on the subject, arguably much better looking too.
Well we weren't on the subject, but we are now.
They look pox Kev...
Norges are fantastic, pull like a 14 year old and the wire wheeled red ones are the duck's guts.

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2017, 09:56:13 AM »
Back on topic..... I just returned home from a 2500 two week trip from Ct. to Fl. on  new V7 III Special. Riding was a mix of interstates, country roads, and twisty hills in the Catskill and Appalachian Mountains. The V7 was equipped with fork emulators, H-B 30 L panniers, heated grips, a Dart Manta screen, and Minstral exhaust cans.

I knew the shocks were going to be marginal but damn they were sooooo bad as to be damgerous on the substandard road surfaces on Ct. and New York. I was stranded on the side of I 81 in Pa. when the fuel filter failed. Luckily the dealer in Ct. insisted he dispatch a truck and employee to fetch me and the bike even though I was 200 miles from his shop. THATS SERVICE BEYOND MY EXPECTATIONS. There are none better then the fine folks at Hamlin Cycles, thanks Jima and Adam for turning what could have been a major disaster into a minor inconvenience.

I also discover the electrician system can not support the heated grips and a heated jack liner.

Riding at 75-85 on the interstate was fine, but on the country roads and in the mountains it was great. This little big surprised me in it's ability to perform above its class.

Paul
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2017, 01:34:43 PM »
On the V7iii:  too bad about the shocks.  I think they feel better than my 2013 (based on my brief ride) but it sounds like they're still not up to snuff.  Otherwise, it sounded pretty well sorted for you.  And good on Hamlin Motors! 

On the V9 Roamer:  yeah, I'm definitely going to give it a ride.  It's good to know it has a more-back set of pegs if that's more appealing to me (I've been following the Roamer thread)

The Norge is heavier than I think I'd like.  I just checked out the height though and I may give it a ride if the dealer has one in stock.  I'll definitely at least give it a sit if they have one.

There is a local F800GT that I'm going to test (assuming they still have it in stock).  Those are actually a bit rare around here.  Based on the ST, I may not like the "character" of the bike (you're correct on what my issue was besides the ergos) but it's nearby and it ticks a lot of the boxes.  Should at least give it a try.

I tried out a local Mana and the short ride didn't do it for me.  I really respect Pete's opinions though so I may take it out for a longer freeway ride if I get a chance.  I'd definitely need some risers for it and some different grips if I went that route.   I'd tried it out earlier because I think it'd be a great commuter with the traffic around here.  Sounds like it can be good for the longer rides too.

Other bikes I may try just based on reviews and specs:  The 800 Tiger, an older Suzuki VStrom 650 (it has a lower seat based on the specs I read), and an F700GS.  We'll see.  I have to admit the V7iii has given me the biggest smile so far.

One bike I HAVE ruled out; intriguing though it is.  https://www.rokon.com/bikes/trail-breaker/  (They have a used one on Craigslist and I said WTH is that?)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2017, 05:36:22 PM »
The Rokon would make sense to you in the WA woods and if you hunted.  Great bike for it's intended uses.  The BMW F800ST   
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Beaver

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2017, 05:49:36 PM »
One bike I HAVE ruled out; intriguing though it is.  https://www.rokon.com/bikes/trail-breaker/  (They have a used one on Craigslist and I said WTH is that?)

Now hold on just a min there, Bubba.  That Rokon is a great touring bike.  Randy Tefft, aka Rokon Randy, aka Redline on this forum, the New Hampshire MGNOC rep, rode the Rokon out of the Atlantic Ocean, all the way across the US, through Texas and into the Pacific Ocean.  He says it's even better than his Stelvio.  He didn't even have to get towed in or nothin'.  Don't believe me?  Come to the GRIT Rally in Texas and talk to the man himself.

This ain't no BS and these pics prove it:

Randy posing for the camera before he leaves on his cross-country tour

Rokon Randy riding out of the Atlantic Ocean

The Rokon in Texas

Wanna ride?

See there's plenty of passenger room, plus room for your camping gear behind the passenger.

My favorite pic though is on another old and almost dead computer - Randy and Texas Turnip on the Rokon together.  If I find it, I'll post it too!

Beaver

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 06:16:00 PM by Beaver »
MGNOC TX Rep
Lindale, TX

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2017, 05:56:30 PM »
And then there's the new Bonnie T120 if you're thinking of something other than a Guzzi - with the 1200 motor, plenty of low down torque, all metal bits, (& perhaps a more extensive dealer network) - a friend who has one says it feels like a Guzzi to ride & he's best pleased. Probably worth a try out.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2017, 09:52:56 PM »
If there's pics, it must be true. ;)  That post made me laugh.  I have to admit I got sucked into youtube videos of them last night.  Some guy was trying to prove that they float (they do).

Malik, yeah the Bonnie is another throwback to the Standard motorcycle.  I tried one before I bought my original V7.  Nice bike, I just liked the V7 better.  That's part of the reason I haven't tried the Tiger 800 yet though spec wise it seems to meet what I'm looking for.

Twowheeladdict, true 'dat (re 750 being a big bike not all that long ago).  Liked those photos.

Today re-affirmed that an iron butt I am not.  Decided to take my scooter (Kymco gt300i) for a country ride since the V7 isn't around.  Actually had a great time: it easily does highway speeds and has 16" wheels so isn't too jittery.  But (or butt) after two hours I was ready to cry uncle.  The funny thing was, I was fine up to about an hour and a half.  So these short test rides probably mean little.  :p  Other than weeding out obvious "No"s.  And it's fun I'll admit.

I do think I need to start stretching.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2017, 10:22:20 PM »
 :thumb: on the stretching.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline SportsterDoc

• Gosling
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2017, 10:28:28 PM »
:thumb: on the stretching.

Good way to pass the time at long traffic signals!
23 V7-850 23 Yam XT250 18 Yam Bolt  22 Triumph St Twin  20 CanAm Ryker 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yam XT250 16 MG V7II 17 Yam TW200 12 Triumph Bonnie 02 Sportster 1200S 03 Sportster XLH883 76 Honda 750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yam CT1 72 Yam CT2 72 Yam AT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda C11

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here