Author Topic: What does CARC refer to?  (Read 18806 times)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: What does CARC refer to?
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2017, 02:06:09 AM »
Alright, you asked for it.

As the suspension compresses, force is applied to the skookum dinkus, which rotates obversely to the moment of inertia to the frannistan. Thusly, the applied torque is reduced inversely proportionate to the uplift return arm tension. Therefore, a balance is acquired.

Simples!
Yeah Beetle, I already knew it was simples, (I like that ad too), thing is, I just struggled a bit with getting a one syllable response to my question.
"No" is a statement, not an explanation. I'm not too concerned though, on a recent trip through Europe, I stopped by me old mate Pythagoras' place in Greece, and he gave me the guts on the path taken by the rear axle when pivoting about a single point..
Hey but who knows, it might have taken till 2017 to prove him wrong. Anyway scuzzi, I'm just adjusting my 5 point harness, I think there's turbulence ahead ! :boxing: :bike-037:
Are those crickets I hear ?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 02:42:02 AM by Huzo »

beetle

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2017, 03:12:35 AM »
BTW, it does move in a flattened arc.

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2017, 04:10:07 AM »
I always have a little laugh when I read the technical merits of modern shaft drives. Going back to the seventies and eighties there was a wide range of bikes available with shaft drive, I had a Yamaha XJ900 and a Suzuki GS850  and a couple of mates mates rode Yamaha XS750/850/1100. No one made a big deal about the shaft drive  or complained about problems we were just glad not to have to look after a chain. Admittedly the single sided swing arm wasn't around then which may have complicated things somewhat since.
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

pete roper

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2017, 04:39:03 AM »

No, the front trunnion is concentric with the swingarm spindle. Think of it as similar to the early Bimota chain drive systems so the output shaft was concentric with the swingarm pivots meaning chain tension was constant.

The only reason why the shaft splines have to slide at all is because of the reactive movement due to load and suspension movement. On earlier bikes like the Loops and Tontis without a reactive drive Terre still needed to be a sliding coupling because the universal joint was a compromise. The actual pivot point of the swingarm was in the middle of the floating centre yoke of the joint. The movement though was so slight given the limited suspension travel that it was coped with with a simple separate shaft and sliding sleve located by circlips on the pinion shaft, front and rear of the shaft itself.

The later Tontis have a very different shaft with a much longer central yoke on the universal/driveshaft which will diminish the sinusoidal loadings on the trunnions but I don't know if the front trunnion is actually concentric with the swingarm pivot or not.

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2017, 04:39:03 AM »

beetle

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2017, 05:44:41 AM »
WTF are you talking about Pete? I think you and I are talking about 2 different things.

pete roper

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2017, 05:52:17 AM »
Maybe. Depending on how well you explain yourself will decide how pink your frame becomes... :evil:

Nah. I agree, we're probably at cross purposes. We need to sit down with meat and wine and a pencil and shout a lot! :laugh:

beetle

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2017, 05:57:19 AM »
Meat, wine & shouting. How very Italian. Count me in!

:drool:

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2017, 07:14:58 AM »
Understandable to a degree, but pretty much everyone (including the technically minded) refers to the class of 1100/1200 cc bikes with the single side swingarm as CARCs. It's reasonable to ask a question about the class and its shared characteristics by using the term.

Thanks, that's kinda what I suspected, but wasn't sure if it referred to something like a California-regulation-sort-of-specification. that was used to refer to an era of bike models.

I'm good, thanks!
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2017, 07:54:42 AM »
OK, THIS is what has been bothering me about this acronym: Posts like THIS  one, where the discussion has nothing to do with drivetrains, but uses CARC liberally:

CARC: Riding Through Wintertime, Should I Concern About Oil Over Cooling?

It's nomenclature used to identify a group of bikes around a single and easily identifiable design feature.

Like 1TB vs 2TB smallblocks.

Like Tonti Calis vs. 1400s

Like a SSSA vs DSSA

Like USD vs Conventional

It's just that the various CARC models - Breva 1100, Breva 1200 Sport, Norge, Griso 1100, Griso 1200, Stelvio, Stelvio NTX etc. all share that ONE common characteristic and powertrains that are in some ways unique to Guzzi across the board.

So the use of a short, simple, colloquial nomenclature such as CARC is simply the easiest and quickest way to say it.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2017, 09:07:23 AM »
I don't want to start an argument, but does that need a re think ?
The distance between the swingarm pivot and the rear axle centre is constant, so the axle would travel in an arc.
No ?

The wheel moves up and forward in a slope rather than an arc when compressed. It does not move very far forward though.  If you look at the diagram, you will see the spring on the drive shaft spline area to allow for the forward movement.  On the Magni set up, a Bellville/bevel washer stack is use instead of a spring.  This movement forward is less than 1/8 inch forward under compression. 

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2017, 09:13:03 AM »

Slope

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2017, 09:42:23 AM »
As for the clanking? This affects earlier bikes mainly and can be improved by fitting a later type, more forgiving, silentbloc bushing at the front of the reaction arm. Another thing that AIDS on/off throttle smoothness is ensuring that there is the absolute bare minimum of free play in the throttle cables.

Needless to say, if your bike is poorly tuned and your throttle body balance is all over the shop nothing you do will improve its rattling and knocking! I have to say that I can go from negative to positive throttle on both my Griso and Stelvio at below 2,000rpm without touching the clutch in lower gears as long as I'm careful and sympathetic and it rattle and clanketh not!

Sub-optimum tuning doesn't account for the clanking one gets while working the clutch in and out, does it?  For instance, while wobbling around a parking lot at slow speed, easing the clutch in and out . . . clank.   
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 09:42:41 AM by HarveyMushman »
Tim

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2017, 02:35:53 PM »
You guys that reckon the axle moves in a slope will eventually have to stop and grab reverse. The further you go, the further you're gunna' have to back up.
If you imagine the swingarm ROTATING around it's PIVOT point with the distance between the PIVOT and the AXLE being constant ( which it indisputably is).
Now if you disconnected all the paraphernalia in the way and was able to do so, rotating the swingarm further up ( like you hit a bump) to an exaggerated degree ( say 45 degrees), would describe 1/8th of a CIRCLE and rotating it more in this manner (if you could) would eventually complete a circle, (a shitload of stuff would get in the way but can you see where I'm going ?).

Granted, there's a whole lotta' stuff inside the swingarm taking up end float, but if the centre of the front universal joint was abso bloody lutely concentric with the swingarm pivot axis, there'd be no end float assigned to suspension movement.... Again it would be like having the swingarm axis on the same axis as the output shaft on a chain drive bike. Also I'l suggest that another reason you need splines on both ends of the drive shaft is so you can get the bugger out !
The only way you'll get a "slope" or a "flattened arc" or any other bastardised definition to describe what the axle does in relation to the swingarm is to have the distances between these two points varying, (and no one wants that).
Okay... here's that turbulence !
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 02:48:29 PM by Huzo »

oldbike54

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2017, 02:45:25 PM »

As the suspension compresses, force is applied to the skookum dinkus, which rotates obversely to the moment of inertia to the frannistan. Thusly, the applied torque is reduced inversely proportionate to the uplift return arm tension. Therefore, a balance is acquired.

Simples!

"frannistan" , that is where an ex of mine lived , and access required both magic and luck  :rolleyes:

Dusty

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2017, 02:46:15 PM »
The wheel moves up and down instead of an arc
Also let's not get caught up on side issues..
THIS ! Is the point we're discussing...
Off you trot to Wal Mart guys, and grab a piece of paper, a pencil and a draftsman's compass.
Beetle, (chat to Pete).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 03:08:47 PM by Huzo »

beetle

« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2017, 03:50:21 PM »
I will not. There will be shouting, however. I think you and I are having a failure to communicate. It cannot move the way Mr Orange says. Impossible.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2017, 04:04:19 PM »
CARC = Can Anyone Restore Calm?  :popcorn: :boozing:
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

oldbike54

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2017, 04:08:49 PM »
CARC = Can Anyone Restore Calm?  :popcorn: :boozing:

Can Anyone Really Comprehend ?

Dusty

beetle

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2017, 04:43:24 PM »
Good point. I will withdraw.

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2017, 05:43:23 PM »
I want to know where the goat fits in.....

Mark

oldbike54

« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2017, 05:47:02 PM »
I want to know where the goat fits in.....

Mark

Genus Capra ?

Dusty

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2017, 06:13:35 PM »
Si - maybe Pete knows....

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2017, 06:51:25 PM »
In regards to the CARC (or any Guzzi drive set-up) could anyone explain why UJ's are used and not CV's. I would have thought a CV would be the obvious joint to use.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 06:51:53 PM by Muzz »
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2017, 07:16:41 PM »
In regards to the CARC (or any Guzzi drive set-up) could anyone explain why UJ's are used and not CV's. I would have thought a CV would be the obvious joint to use.
I'm not sure ..... good question.  Seems like CV joints would eliminate a 'phasing' issue.
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2017, 08:25:12 PM »

Now that is a worthy and relevant question. Trust a Kiwi to keep focus on the issues!
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2017, 10:31:22 PM »

Simples!

*sigh*

How many times do I have to say this?  A DINKUS, BY DEFINITION, CANNOT BE SKOOKUM!

geez.   Look it up.   :rolleyes:

oldbike54

« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2017, 10:41:19 PM »
*sigh*

How many times do I have to say this?  A DINKUS, BY DEFINITION, CANNOT BE SKOOKUM!

geez.   Look it up.   :rolleyes:

You are forgetting , the laws of physics are upside down in OZ .

Dusty

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2017, 10:47:46 PM »
You are forgetting , the laws of physics are upside down in OZ .

Dusty

*sigh*

geez.   Look it up  down.   :rolleyes:

Ok.  Fixed it.   :whip2:

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2017, 01:08:14 AM »
Can Anyone Really Comprehend ?

Dusty
Yes

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2017, 01:15:03 AM »
I'm not sure ..... good question.  Seems like CV joints would eliminate a 'phasing' issue.
That's a damn good one !

To the CV discussion !!! And don't spare the horses. (Sorry, kilowatts...)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 03:44:57 AM by Huzo »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here