Author Topic: western us road trip advice  (Read 1000 times)

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
western us road trip advice
« on: March 23, 2024, 06:15:56 PM »
 Wondering if this route would be ok to embark on in mid May?   I know the mountainous areas could be of concern in the spring . Some local knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
I could adjust the route some , but the timing not so much.  Many thanks, Dave

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
Re: western us road trip advice
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2024, 06:52:11 PM »
Nice route.  Should be nice weather by then but there is always the chance of freak snow at elevation so just be aware.  Utah has some of the most spectacular US vista scenery.   Are you open for nearby alterations of routing?

South of Moab is the Moki Dugway road.  Do it uphill.  Bucket list road.  Dirt but regularly maintained.  Regina did it on her 98EV last  year.
Anyone near Cedar City, UT should go through the altitude of Cedar Breaks up from Panguitch.
After Cedar City try for the monument of the Mountain Meadows Massacre between Enterprise and Veyo.  Critical US history that not many know.  Do a little Google work before visiting.
Looks like  you go in and back out of Zion the same way.  Might consider going through and then around to the south of Zion.  That will bring you through the parallel towns of Hilldale, UT and Colorado City, AZ.  Formerly known as short creek and the focal core of an important polygamist offshoot sect.  They won't like you passing through.
I'm only 3 hours from Yosemite, but Zion is still my favorite touring National Park.  Mother Nature in-your-face!

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2024, 08:37:49 PM »
If you aren’t in a hurry check out the Grand Canyon of the Gunnison and the million dollar highway to Durango.

Offline MotoKnee

• New Egg
    • YYYY
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2024, 12:28:02 AM »
Utah Hwy 141

2020 V7III Racer

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2024, 12:28:02 AM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2024, 03:22:06 PM »

Since you will be in the area, don't miss 12 from Capitol Reef to Bryce canyon, etc. It gets my vote for most spectacular scenic motorcycle road. Flashing signs for motorcyclists to use extreme caution.  :grin:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline azccj

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2024, 04:57:05 PM »
Are you going by car or by motorcycle? If by motorcycle it's going to be hot that time of year along the Colorado river area on the AZ/CA border.
Current Bikes
2022 MG V85TT Travel
2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
2019 Suzuki Vstrom 650XT Touring
2017 Honda African Twin DCT
2014 BMW F800GT
1972 Eldorado. Which someday I will restore.

Moto Guzzis now gone but not forgotten
2007 Norge
2003 V11 Le Mans
2000 Jackel
99 EV

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2024, 09:18:07 PM »
I would see Sedona and maybe Jerome, Arizona.  Sedona is not far off your route. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 09:20:03 PM by Tusayan »

Offline Enzo Toma

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2024, 12:28:44 AM »
If you aren’t in a hurry check out the Grand Canyon of the Gunnison and the million dollar highway to Durango.

I second Black Canyon of the Gunnison. One of the best sights between Denver and Moab. Just keep an eye on the weather at elevation in CO and near Flagstaff, AZ and plan your gear and clothing in layers accordingly.

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2024, 07:00:14 AM »
Since you will be in the area, don't miss 12 from Capitol Reef to Bryce canyon, etc. It gets my vote for most spectacular scenic motorcycle road. Flashing signs for motorcyclists to use extreme caution.  :grin:

Another vote for this road and virtually all of Southern Utah. You could spend a week around there and not get bored.
I guess we all travel differently but I never make advanced room reservations when on a trip like this. Makes you want to rush each day to get to your destination. Rooms should not be that much of a problem that time of year.

Pete

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2024, 09:21:42 AM »

yes.  one of the best motorcycle roads in the country:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/puEa4F652ATh45n49

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2024, 09:22:35 AM »
Utah Hwy 141

Colorado Highway 141, and it's fantastic.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 09:24:04 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2024, 10:27:23 AM »

Fully agree with this recommendation...a nice stop by the Hanging Flume and then take it all the way to Telluride from Gateway.  Beautiful riding!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2024, 05:14:47 PM »
Thank you  all for the input, most appreciated!  Sorry for the delay as we have been a couple days without power because of an ice storm.  Got until second week of May to adjust plans so will try and absorb all the info and repost the route for peer review :grin:   Bike has already been transported to San Diego BMW for inspection and maintenance . {an excellent dealer from my experience} and my daughter and I are very much looking forward to the adventure soon.  Would love the chance to meet any of you all that may be in our vicinity on this trip. Thanks again , dave

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2024, 08:11:54 AM »
Thank you  all for the input, most appreciated!  Sorry for the delay as we have been a couple days without power because of an ice storm.  Got until second week of May to adjust plans so will try and absorb all the info and repost the route for peer review :grin:   Bike has already been transported to San Diego BMW for inspection and maintenance . {an excellent dealer from my experience} and my daughter and I are very much looking forward to the adventure soon.  Would love the chance to meet any of you all that may be in our vicinity on this trip. Thanks again , dave

Lucian,

This route between Bryce Canyon and Grand Junction will be well worth the extra time:  https://maps.app.goo.gl/bu2q49LCdM4nFTqZA

You could skip Moab, if you chose to stay overnight in Blanding or Monticello, but these five roads are motorcycle heaven:

UT-12 
UT-24
UT-95
UT-46 / CO-90
CO-141

« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 08:33:37 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2024, 09:21:06 AM »
I got "stuck" in Montecello once when the highway through town was shut down for a 4th of July parade. There was no way around the festivities. The locals were really nice and friendly. It was an enjoyable hour. But that was many many years ago, I doubt they could do that today.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2024, 12:51:28 PM »

I-70 is perhaps the only scenic interstate highway but I would still take more scenic and challenging highways.

You might try Mt Evans or take a run through Independence Pass and Aspen. 

141 is a good one ..I'd take it all the way to Naturita and then take 90/46 through Paradox Valley to Moab....or even go further to do a loop to 550, Ouray, Durango and Cortez and check out the Cliff Dwellers and Telluride. 

too many good roads to
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2024, 06:57:19 PM »
Dave, good luck out west.  Refuel when you can.

Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2024, 09:51:01 AM »
Nice route.  Should be nice weather by then but there is always the chance of freak snow at elevation so just be aware.  Utah has some of the most spectacular US vista scenery.   Are you open for nearby alterations of routing?

South of Moab is the Moki Dugway road.  Do it uphill.  Bucket list road.  Dirt but regularly maintained.  Regina did it on her 98EV last  year.
Anyone near Cedar City, UT should go through the altitude of Cedar Breaks up from Panguitch.
After Cedar City try for the monument of the Mountain Meadows Massacre between Enterprise and Veyo.  Critical US history that not many know.  Do a little Google work before visiting.
Looks like  you go in and back out of Zion the same way.  Might consider going through and then around to the south of Zion.  That will bring you through the parallel towns of Hilldale, UT and Colorado City, AZ.  Formerly known as short creek and the focal core of an important polygamist offshoot sect.  They won't like you passing through.
I'm only 3 hours from Yosemite, but Zion is still my favorite touring National Park.  Mother Nature in-your-face!

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

And if on a street bike do not be tempted to turn left on Muley Point Road at the top of Moki Dugway. While the reward at the end is a spectacular view there are sections of DEEP sugar sand that taking an Adventure bike through was a$$puckering at times.

I'd also encourage statig at the San Juan inn in Mexican Hat. Neat little motel and a decent restaurant. The Navajo taco was excellent, alright...alright.. .alright. 

Muley Point

Navajo Taco

San Juan Inn

Mexican Hat

Moki Dugway

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2024, 02:48:15 PM »
Just keep a close eye on the weather in May.  I've been snowed on (motorcycle) in Bryce Canyon and had to flee to lower elevations, and one May I was completely caught out on I-15 near Beaver, Utah.  Rain turned into a complete blizzard.  Had to abandon the bike in a roadside rest area.  Thought I might be spending the night in the men's room (heated, thank goodness! :tongue:) but a friendly trucker took me into Cedar City for a motel room overnight.  By noon the next day, the roads were clear again, the hotel manager was kind enough to drive me out to my bike, and I was able to continue on my way.  The point of all this is the weather can change out west with little warning.  It's the elevation that gets you. 

Offline Frulk

• New Egg
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2024, 03:19:45 PM »
Driving/riding through Moab is an ABSOLUTE ZOO downtown during the tourist season. Avoid it at all cost. I would spend more time in Colorado as almost every other plate in Moab is from there so their roads should be pretty empty.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 03:21:28 PM by Frulk »

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2024, 11:15:21 PM »
I would see Sedona and maybe Jerome, Arizona.  Sedona is not far off your route.

Personally, I'd recommend going through, and stopping for a meal, in downtown Prescott instead of Sedona and definitely ride thru or stop in Jerome; although you could hit those towns and still go thru Sedona, I'd give them higher priority.  The suggestion to vary your route on the return from your turn-around destination is great - a lot of interesting places to see in that part of the country.
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline T607

• New Egg
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2024, 03:39:59 PM »
Fantastic area for motorcycling. I am lucky enough to be a 'local', western Colorado near Grand Junction, and ride on those roads several times a year. (MotoGuzzi V7 850 and RE Int 650). There are several additional options depending on your available time. If you want, PM me for more discussions.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here