Author Topic: Am I doomed? Lotsa noise  (Read 5589 times)

Offline WP2

• Gosling
Re: Am I doomed? Lotsa noise
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2016, 08:38:23 PM »
The fuel pump can make a terrible clattering noise if the tank valve is not opening all the way or the hose is kinked.

I'll double check that. It's a manual petcock (don't know why - previous owner...) and I had trouble with it when I originally removed the tank. Thought it was closed and still sprayed gas until I got the pliers on it.

Walt
'03 EVT
Jenison, Michigan
MGNOC

Offline WP2

• Gosling
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2016, 08:42:00 PM »
I think I got dropbox figured out - lemme know if you can access it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vdiqfehoiws0vmx/EV-T%20Noise.wav?dl=0

Walt
'03 EVT
Jenison, Michigan
MGNOC

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2016, 09:29:00 PM »
Ok -- so we have oil pressure.  That's good.  Add the description of the 5-sec clatter for a 100yd run and I think it could be a lifter not pumping up.  If so, it could be a relatively easy fix (assuming the cam follower or cam lobe isn't the reason for the lifter not pumping up).  I think that's where I'd concentrate my first efforts.  While you're poking around, make sure the bolts holding the rocker pins aren't somehow too long, and that the rocker pins are flowing oil well.  Getting those all clapped out will make a racket, and a very common mistake is to use screws that are too long and plug the oil passages.  Also make sure the pushrods are not broken or bent and that the end caps haven't come loose.

You say you dropped the oil and saw noting unusual -- no swarf, shrapnel, shinies, or chunks.  That helps rule out a catastrophic rod bearing or piston failure in progress -- also good. 

Oil pressure good and no unusual oil stuff indicates the oil pump hasn't instantly failed.  That's good, but it doesn't rule out an oil pump problem any more than these other indirect observations rule out anything else.  They just boost confidence.

Offline chaoselephant23

• New Egg
  • Livin
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2016, 10:57:29 PM »
I could access the sound file. Puts to rest the theory that my EVT hydro is noisy :rolleyes: I believe rodekyll is onto something with the lifters not pumping up. To check, open the valve cover. Then push down on the rocker where the adjuster nut is. If the rocker moves by hand, that lifter is bust. When the lifter is pumped up, Herculean strength is needed to push down on the rocker arm. If you haven't already check if the adjuster nuts are loose. Moving onto the rocker spindle bolt length as rodekyll has mentioned. Fingers crossed for an easy fix.
2003 California EV Touring
2003 California Stone Touring

MGNOC #22970

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2016, 10:57:29 PM »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2016, 08:45:33 AM »
Have you checked the valve clearances yet to see if a lifter is collapsed?
Is there oil flowing around the rockers when running?
Are the adjusters tight?
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline xackley

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2016, 02:04:55 PM »
I would pull the plugs, check them for oil and gas.
Turn the engine over to see if it spits anything out.
If you do not have a compression gauge, put your thumb over the plug hole and see if it is pushed away when turning the engine.
If they are not the same the low side is the problem.
Then remove the covers, turn over the engine with spark plugs out, use your fingers and ears to examine.
If you don't spot a problem, lay down cardboard and start the engine.

Don
1958 R69 BMW, 1972 R75/5, 1980 yamaha XS650, 1982 GL1100, 2003 EV, 2007 Triumph America and 2017 V7!!!
All on the road, going nowhere in particular.

Offline WP2

• Gosling
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2016, 02:38:47 PM »
A hot garage update...

Pulled the valve covers and started it - initially very loud (new oil change and no valve covers). Then it settled down in volume and may sound "normaler" to me - less than initial panic mode, maybe ok, but I'm a bit paranoid now.

While the covers were off I did the push test and visual - no movement on the push test and not knowing exactly what to look for the visual seemed ok. It sprayed pretty well with the covers off so I thing oiling is ok.

I am having a mechanic friend (Guzzi) stop over on Saturday to have a listen and look for the finer things that you guys have suggested - so for now, I'm on hold and may as well detail it while it's on the lift.

A couple questions...hydro valve clearances - don't know them - same as my 02 Stone? Bolts holding the rocker pins - what is too long and what is the correct length?

Thanks all for the input so far - I'm pushing my knowledge/comfort level here and will wait for an experienced tech help me better understand all that you speak about.

Thanks.

Walt

'03 EVT
Jenison, Michigan
MGNOC

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2016, 02:51:24 PM »
Hydro valves -- don't know them?  Don't touch them!  Hydraulic valves are set with a special 'slug' before the valve train gets final assembly.  After that they are not touched again in normal operations.  If you have a collapsed lifter (and if you can't see or feel one and the stethoscope can't find one you probably don't have a collapsed lifter) then the lifter is replaced by removing the rocker and push rod for that hole, pulling the lifter (a piece of rubber hose works good) and dropping a new one in.  There should be no need for adjusting it afterward -- it 'pumps up' to self-adjust.

Rocker bolts that are too long go clear through the pin wall and into the oil galley.  Bolts that are not too long go through the top wall of the pin but not past the wall.  I don't remember the mm length.  But a visual check should tell you what you need to know.

Offline WP2

• Gosling
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2016, 12:03:46 PM »
Update
Problem solved??
Had my buddy some over to help me see and understand things that were being recommended - we went thru all the recommendations together. Nothing amiss.

Very loud clatter when started...let it run for about 5 minutes and it settled down to more normal, not perfect but more like I am used to. The experienced "screwdriver ear" said it wasn't the lifters, but being transmitted from somewhere else.

Yesterday, I took it out for about 100 miles and another 60 this morning - it is it's old glorious self. Weird to me.

Besides going thru all the recommended things to look for and adjusting nothing, all I can think of that may have affected the noise is the suggestion by jmac851 that the petcock may be involved.  I had trouble with it fully closing when removing the tank and may have not fully reopened it. Thanks for that suggestion - it was so far off of my original search for culprits, I never would have found it.

I want to thank everybody for their responses. Not only did I get my issue resolved, but I learned a lot about the bike and the thought processes that go into diagnosis. Over the years, I have learned so much from the members here through simply reading posts - I learned something and I hope others may have benefited from this thread as well.

Thanks to all.

Walt

'03 EVT
Jenison, Michigan
MGNOC

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here