Author Topic: V85 facelift  (Read 31580 times)

Offline wyno

• Gosling
Re: V85 facelift
« Reply #120 on: August 09, 2020, 02:14:49 AM »
You don't have the garage space Pete, remember.
Wyno

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2020, 03:55:56 AM »
You don't have the garage space Pete, remember.
Ok mate..
I’ll give my shed a facelift... :thumb:

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #122 on: September 29, 2020, 04:15:49 AM »
Oh well, I guess I always knew this would happen.
I bought one of these today..

It’ll be here by the weekend.
I had planned to mount it low such that it exited just behind the rider’s foot peg and took a swoop so it passed just below the passenger ‘peg and terminated just short of the rear caliper.

I think the lines would have been very nice, but would have been prone to damage if used for it’s intended purpose.
So I said “bugger it all” and just got the Zard and will mount it as intended.
So pretty soon there’ll be a complete V85 exhaust system hanging on the wall.. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 04:58:58 AM by Huzo »

Offline v85kris

• New Egg
« Reply #123 on: September 29, 2020, 09:26:14 AM »
Interested to hear how you like the sound.  I’ve been hesitant as I can’t stand loud pipes.  I put a y pipe on mine to reduce the heat but also got the benefit of a slightly throatier exhaust note. :boozing:
Kris D.
2020 v85tt

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #123 on: September 29, 2020, 09:26:14 AM »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #124 on: October 09, 2020, 12:53:19 AM »
Here’s the latest..
Not much left to do, almost there.
https://youtu.be/ji_1RUDuRIg
Actually, it sounds like my mate’s J1 Auster with the Gypsy Major motor at idle.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 01:14:49 AM by Huzo »

Offline Knuckle Dragger

• Gosling
« Reply #125 on: October 09, 2020, 02:43:36 AM »
Looking good Huzo.  All shined up & nowhere to go.....  too near "the wet" to do a Cape York run, even IF they allow you Victorians loose on the rest of Australia. 

Maybe winter 2021?  In the meantime there's always Halls Gap, (maybe) the Flinders Ranges in Summer, Oodnadatta, Birdsville, Uluru, or Mt. Buffalo/Hotham/Falls etc. along the spine of the Southern Alps if you're still not allowed out of Victoria!

There's plenty of lovely wild miles to explore fairly close to home, without leaving the state.

I think those Zard cans are the mellowest sounding available to date for the V85.  I'd still like to hear a cored modification of the standard can too.  Apart from the Zard, I think it's still one of the best looking mufflers for the bike available.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 02:48:01 AM by Knuckle Dragger »
Severus bastardis

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #126 on: October 09, 2020, 03:23:02 AM »
Looking good Huzo.  All shined up & nowhere to go.....  too near "the wet" to do a Cape York run, even IF they allow you Victorians loose on the rest of Australia. 

Maybe winter 2021?  In the meantime there's always Halls Gap, (maybe) the Flinders Ranges in Summer, Oodnadatta, Birdsville, Uluru, or Mt. Buffalo/Hotham/Falls etc. along the spine of the Southern Alps if you're still not allowed out of Victoria!

There's plenty of lovely wild miles to explore fairly close to home, without leaving the state.

I think those Zard cans are the mellowest sounding available to date for the V85.  I'd still like to hear a cored modification of the standard can too.  Apart from the Zard, I think it's still one of the best looking mufflers for the bike available.
If Italy is off the menu next year, I’m going from Cape Otway to Cape York and back on my Honda CT110.

Offline Knuckle Dragger

• Gosling
« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2020, 08:57:04 PM »
Back in '84 I met a couple of masochistic lads from Reggio di Calabria (deepest south Italy) @ the Austrian GP, Salzbugring .  Fast-Freddie Spencer won both 250 & 500 races incidentally.

Silly buggers were just starting a return trip to Nordkapp on old Lambrettas!   Those step-through postie bikes (Hondas, not Lambrettas) have a solid reputation as long-distance rides.  Those hundreds (thousands?) of kms. of corrugations won't be kind to either the Honda or pilot, however.  You'll need a suspension upgrade, a massage or 2 & regular Radox or Badedas baths methinks.
Severus bastardis

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #128 on: October 10, 2020, 04:14:21 AM »
Back in '84 I met a couple of masochistic lads from Reggio di Calabria (deepest south Italy) @ the Austrian GP, Salzbugring .  Fast-Freddie Spencer won both 250 & 500 races incidentally.

Silly buggers were just starting a return trip to Nordkapp on old Lambrettas!   Those step-through postie bikes (Hondas, not Lambrettas) have a solid reputation as long-distance rides.  Those hundreds (thousands?) of kms. of corrugations won't be kind to either the Honda or pilot, however.  You'll need a suspension upgrade, a massage or 2 & regular Radox or Badedas baths methinks.
I was a postie for 37 years.
(40 km a day) x (5 days a week) x (48 weeks a year) x (37 years) = 355,200 km in first and second gear delivering letters...(that’s not counting overtime..).
Piece of cake..
Also.
My round was 6 hrs. a day, and that’s after working indoors for 3 hrs.
The way I see it is as follows..
If I do 7 hrs a day seat time at an average of 70 kph, that’s just on 500 k’s a day, so a 4,000 k one way trip is 8 days. Call it ten each way and you’re laughing.
Easier than Nordkapp and I’ve done that twice from London then down to Sicily via Romania....
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 04:16:09 AM by Huzo »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2020, 05:03:45 AM »
Well here’s the latest..
I’ve decided I’m going with the low front guard/no beak option. I was always going to explore how to protect the front of the engine from debris from the front wheel. I have given the guard 25 mm clearance so as to be a compromise between on road/off road work.
I reckon I’ll eventually get the guard done in red with a small splash of red/white/green, or something similar.
Here’s the work so far..

The now redundant space under the headlights, will get a couple of Touratech high intensity spotlights.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 05:07:10 AM by Huzo »

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2020, 06:48:33 AM »
much more traditional looking without the beak.  i like it.  now, take off the dual head lights, replace it with a deer-hunter type 8 inch round light and add a bikini fairing.  get rid of the high exhaust and add a la franconi and your conversion will be complete.
Blue Guzz

Offline j.davis

• New Egg
« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2020, 09:05:02 AM »
Putting these on my new V85tt when it is ready to pick up, mounting on the crash bars. Will run through a Skene controller to make them drl's as well as spots.
https://www.stedi.com.au/25-cree-led-motorcycle-driving-spot-light.html

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #132 on: October 17, 2020, 09:12:25 AM »
Here’s the latest..
Not much left to do, almost there.
https://youtu.be/ji_1RUDuRIg
Actually, it sounds like my mate’s J1 Auster with the Gypsy Major motor at idle.

Looks great Huzo. One of the cleanest looking modern Guzzi's, or modern bikes I have seen in a long time.  All the hard work paid off in a classic, simplistic look. 

I imagine the aesthetics all go to Hell when you sit on the bike, but that's true for most of us.   :wink:
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2020, 09:44:15 AM »
much more traditional looking without the beak.  i like it.  now, take off the dual head lights, replace it with a deer-hunter type 8 inch round light and add a bikini fairing.  get rid of the high exhaust and add a la franconi and your conversion will be complete.

Good eye.  Going to the low front fender looks better and screams "replace the dual headlights with a single headlight!"
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2020, 05:58:42 PM »
Putting these on my new V85tt when it is ready to pick up, mounting on the crash bars. Will run through a Skene controller to make them drl's as well as spots.
https://www.stedi.com.au/25-cree-led-motorcycle-driving-spot-light.html
Very interested to hear how they go... :popcorn:

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #135 on: October 17, 2020, 06:00:58 PM »
Looks great Huzo. One of the cleanest looking modern Guzzi's, or modern bikes I have seen in a long time.  All the hard work paid off in a classic, simplistic look. 

I imagine the aesthetics all go to Hell when you sit on the bike, but that's true for most of us.   :wink:
Thank you and...Yes.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #136 on: October 18, 2020, 03:14:55 AM »
I needed to arrange some protection for the front of the engine and thought I would have the most success with a low mounted guard.
I don’t suggest it is more attractive, but when done in red, it will begin to blend..
Before..

After..

Walk around..
https://youtu.be/bT5mUS3_EKA

Online Chethro

• New Egg
« Reply #137 on: October 18, 2020, 05:34:47 AM »
Very nice.  :thumb:
2018 DR 650
2020 V85TT
2022 V7 850 Stone

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #138 on: October 18, 2020, 06:17:28 AM »

Offline v85kris

• New Egg
« Reply #139 on: October 18, 2020, 09:27:56 AM »
Looks great Huzo!  I wanted to go a similar route with mine, but my side cases are on most of the time which takes away from the looks.  I also had the Aprilia fender on mine with a 6 bulb led light mounted under the headlights, but still felt it didn’t look right and went back to the beak.  I also blacked out the windscreen which helps make it disappear and hides all the mounting hardware underneath and makes the display easier to see.
I love the way you incorporated your headers into the y-pipe, really a clean look!  Keep up the great work!  :boozing:
Kris D.
2020 v85tt

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #140 on: October 19, 2020, 04:01:20 AM »
Looks great Huzo!  I wanted to go a similar route with mine, but my side cases are on most of the time which takes away from the looks.  I also had the Aprilia fender on mine with a 6 bulb led light mounted under the headlights, but still felt it didn’t look right and went back to the beak.  I also blacked out the windscreen which helps make it disappear and hides all the mounting hardware underneath and makes the display easier to see.
I love the way you incorporated your headers into the y-pipe, really a clean look!  Keep up the great work!  :boozing:
Well yes..
But if I were to draw a crass comparison. Does George Clooney think Amal looks bad in a raincoat ?
He has a pretty good idea what’s underneath... :wink:

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #141 on: October 19, 2020, 11:05:26 AM »
Holy crap! I've not been able to keep up, Huso. Typical of my vintage? Your 8.5 is gorgeous, beak et. al. In my view terrific balance. Great focal points.  Very classy. I've never cared for those spear like fenders. Going into battle? Another story.
I added 5" to the trailing portion of the frt. fender on the V7 IIIR, b4 paint, stripe, saddle and cast wheels. It does a fairly good job and looks good, imnsho. Love the exhaust sound. 5 cyl. radial? :)
I put no emergencies front and center. i.e. no tubes, metal fuel pump, NGK spark plug connectors, radial mc w/4 piston frt. caliper. (Brembo). I lost faith in abs years ago.
I really enjoy seeing excellent thought process, put into 3 dimensions of entertainment on 2 wheels.
    Good fortune Huso.  R3~

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #142 on: October 19, 2020, 11:40:31 AM »
Thanks R...
I cannot decide definitively whether to go on and complete the full transformation re front lower guard.
I now like both looks equally.
The lower guard looks nice and squat and when matched in red with a hint of green/white/red graphic, should ‘pop” like Peter North...Also the undeniable benefit of debris reduction on the front of the motor gets me engorged in an adolescent way.. :thumb:
Then there’s the beak option..
I do like the look of the fully exposed fork lowers and the splash of metal visuals without the Darth Vader staunchion protectors..If the lower guard remains, there will be some trimming to be done..
Decisions, decisions..
I’ll need two V85’s..
One of each.. :popcorn:

Offline lcjohnny

• New Egg
« Reply #143 on: October 19, 2020, 12:23:25 PM »
I needed to arrange some protection for the front of the engine and thought I would have the most success with a low mounted guard.
I don’t suggest it is more attractive, but when done in red, it will begin to blend..
Before..

After..

Walk around..
https://youtu.be/bT5mUS3_EKA

IMHO that is so much better Huz

I rode a v85 just to see ..... as everyone said it was good and sensible

and i think that they are finally getting some more heart in the small block motor
but it is ugly especially in Mcdonalds paint and with a beak

- i dont mind a real motocross bike with high flappy front mudguards
but on a 100% road bike the beak a cosmetic thing that is not at all cosmetic  :violent1:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 12:24:29 PM by lcjohnny »
Spada 1000, V50111, Lario and now Griso (and some 23 other bikes over the years)

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #144 on: October 19, 2020, 12:31:42 PM »
IMHO that is so much better Huz

I rode a v85 just to see ..... as everyone said it was good and sensible

and i think that they are finally getting some more heart in the small block motor
but it is ugly especially in Mcdonalds paint and with a beak

- i dont mind a real motocross bike with high flappy front mudguards
but on a 100% road bike the beak a cosmetic thing that is not at all cosmetic  :violent1:
Hmmmm..Yes.
But the issue is going to be, that mine will not be exclusively on road, (although predominately so..).
BTW..
Hands up who went to Google after reading reply #142..?  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 12:33:50 PM by Huzo »

Offline Knuckle Dragger

• Gosling
« Reply #145 on: October 19, 2020, 05:45:13 PM »
Although much better now, you'll still be copping a fair bit of road grime thrown up from the front tyre that'll end up oven-baked to your black engine casings.

Would one of those Pyramid Plastics "Fenda-Extanda" not look too ugly on the trailing edge of your new front mudguard?  Assuming of course it's actually available for Aprilia's Dorsoduro mudguard.
Severus bastardis

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #146 on: October 19, 2020, 06:14:16 PM »
Although much better now, you'll still be copping a fair bit of road grime thrown up from the front tyre that'll end up oven-baked to your black engine casings.

Would one of those Pyramid Plastics "Fenda-Extanda" not look too ugly on the trailing edge of your new front mudguard?  Assuming of course it's actually available for Aprilia's Dorsoduro mudguard.
That’ll be the go KD..
Probably only fitted for more serious expeditions, will still be better than the high one in that respect.
The final decision will be made to keep or reject the low setup, once I see how much I can trim the fork covers..
They look pox.

Online jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #147 on: October 19, 2020, 06:25:21 PM »
Trim the fork covers?  They keep the road crap off the stanchions (tubes?  what are they called on USD forks?).  I would be concerned that the seals would see a lot more wear.

If you don't like whatever pyramid plastics has to offer- then just roll your own.  I used a piece of neoprene, cut to a sort-of triangle shape, that is unobtrusive.  Cost less than a (US) dollar. 
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #148 on: October 19, 2020, 06:54:30 PM »
That’ll be the go KD..
Probably only fitted for more serious expeditions, will still be better than the high one in that respect.
The final decision will be made to keep or reject the low setup, once I see how much I can trim the fork covers..
They look pox.

Real Men makes fender extenders out of plastic bleach bottles, old motorcycle tires, or dumbstruck mudflaps.

If you want that bike to be a real head turner, next time you go riding, stop by the grocery store, get two nice size Cantalopes and stuff them in the front of your jacket. 

Trust me, works great!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 06:55:03 PM by SIR REAL ED »

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #149 on: October 19, 2020, 07:26:13 PM »
get two nice size Cantalopes and stuff them in the front of your jacket. 
I already have two in my pants... :rolleyes:

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here