Author Topic: The New Improved GuzziDiag Tutorial  (Read 139078 times)

Offline GuzziOrDeath

• Hatchling
Re: The New Improved GuzziDiag Tutorial
« Reply #420 on: November 18, 2022, 03:23:26 PM »

Nah. Unless you want to troubleshoot ABS in a Norge or Stelvio, et al.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #421 on: November 18, 2022, 04:47:13 PM »
OK Thanks.  You got one happy guy today! Tazio on here got his Griso touched. I was the last & only one who's touched it and set it up new .  In 44Kmi it was almost perfect yet. Never an issue. He said "You let the Beast out!" today.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 06:46:18 AM by Ncdan »
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline GuzziOrDeath

• Hatchling
« Reply #422 on: November 18, 2022, 11:02:04 PM »

:laugh: :thumb:

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #423 on: January 10, 2023, 04:05:16 AM »
Today I did a TPS reset on my V85. It (of course) has the 7SM ECU.
I did the “handle self learning” and then the “throttle self learning” as per Beetle’s instruction and that went predictably well.
I do find though, that after doing “handle self learning”, I need to go out of the program and come back in to complete the “throttle self learning”.
Going straight from one to the other does not work for me.
But here’s the thing…
When I go to “reset self learning parameters”, I always get the red triangle of death with hazard flashers illuminating and associated warning on the panel. I have read Beetle’s word on this and I think he pre empted this issue and suggested it does not happen on all bikes.
When you guys do a reset on your V85’s, are you able to do the handle re set, then immediately scroll down to throttle reset and get a satisfactory result ?
Also, what’s the word on the “reset self learning parameters” apparent anomaly?
Thanks in advance.
Huzo.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #423 on: January 10, 2023, 04:05:16 AM »

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #424 on: January 10, 2023, 06:46:50 AM »
Today I did a TPS reset on my V85. It (of course) has the 7SM ECU.
I did the “handle self learning” and then the “throttle self learning” as per Beetle’s instruction and that went predictably well.
I do find though, that after doing “handle self learning”, I need to go out of the program and come back in to complete the “throttle self learning”.
Going straight from one to the other does not work for me.
But here’s the thing…
When I go to “reset self learning parameters”, I always get the red triangle of death with hazard flashers illuminating and associated warning on the panel. I have read Beetle’s word on this and I think he pre empted this issue and suggested it does not happen on all bikes.
When you guys do a reset on your V85’s, are you able to do the handle re set, then immediately scroll down to throttle reset and get a satisfactory result ?
Also, what’s the word on the “reset self learning parameters” apparent anomaly?
Thanks in advance.
Huzo.

Huzo, the ECU in the 1400's, V85, and other throttle by wire bikes are a bit more problematic than in the CARC bikes and V7iii and older.

During my brief stint with the MGX-21 I had similar issues, and had to do one at a time (closing out program), not concurrent as with mz Griso, 1200 Sport, Stornello, etc. I did get the triangle of death and had to pull the battery cable to get it to go away. I didn't attempt to use it afterwards.

Chalk it up to a more complex and locked ECU?

I hope the Guzzi Diag Gurus can figure out how to make it work reliably on new and future models. It is such a great tool.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #425 on: January 10, 2023, 07:41:09 AM »
My Audace had troublesome fueling at lower rpms in lower gears. I wanted to do some remapping but due to some problems others had and due to Beetle's caution I left it alone. I put a Boosterplug in it which made it a little better. I no longer own the bike but this wasn't the reason but was the reason for one drop.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #426 on: January 10, 2023, 10:32:05 AM »
Thanks guys.
That’s encouraging.

Offline GuzziOrDeath

• Hatchling
« Reply #427 on: January 11, 2023, 04:38:44 AM »

Another thing to try is wait a minimum of 30 seconds between performing the Handle and Throttle relearning.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #428 on: January 11, 2023, 06:55:13 AM »
Another thing to try is wait a minimum of 30 seconds between performing the Handle and Throttle relearning.
Ok, I’ll adopt that.
Thank you.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #429 on: January 11, 2023, 06:58:26 AM »
The triangle does not appear until I do the re learn parameters step.
I’ll re read Beetle’s tutorial on the subject.

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #430 on: January 15, 2023, 04:01:42 AM »
When you do a  “reset self learning parameters” you clear out the handle and throttle settings, so that step should be the first to do. After that the handle/throttle learning. There is not much that can go wrong, with same Guzzidiag software a great number of Aprilia V4 get new maps too. Most people get it done first try.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #431 on: January 15, 2023, 05:04:43 AM »
Ok Paul, I will do that as a matter of course on my next encounter.
You will no doubt, understand my natural reluctance to depart from the order that Beetle dictates. Half way down page #1 of this tutorial he outlines specifically the method and order of the procedure and it is…
Handle self learning
Throttle self learning
Reset auto learning parameters.

As mentioned, he does acknowledge that SOME bikes exhibit the trait that mine does and outlines the remedy. But I’ve nothing to lose by taking your advice on board as much as a learning tool as anything else, so I’ll be sure to do so.
Thank you.
Huzo.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 05:05:17 AM by Huzo »

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #432 on: February 09, 2023, 11:15:18 AM »
To read and backup your existing map, open the Reader for you ECU. Your computer may have multiple COM ports, so select the correct one from the drop-down box. it is usually the last one or highest number. if it doesn't connect at first, keep trying different ports. In my example, I only have one, COM4.

Then, click on 'read'

A dialog box will open, and here you can select the folder where you want to save the .bin file. You can name it anything you like.

Click 'save'. You will then get:

Turn your keyswitch to 'on'. Do not start the engine. Reader will start downloading. It will take about 15 minutes to backup the map for CARC bikes & V7/V9, and about 30 minutes for the 7SM.

When it has finished, it will ask you to switch off your keyswitch. Obey.

Done!

Trying to get acquainted with my "new" CalVin . . . I can't get Reader (IAW15xReader_V0.68) to save the current map. When I click on Read, type a file name, and click Save I get a dialog box that's different than in these instructions.  It says to have the ignition off for at least 10 seconds, then to click ok, then to switch the ignition on (and if I hear the fuel pump, I need to close the Reader and try again).  The only way I don't hear the fuel pump is if I push the handlebar killswitch to off, and even then nothing happens.  The "connecting" timer counts down to zero and Reader closes without having saved anything but my file name (0-bit file size). 

I'm on a W11 laptop, have used GuzziDiag/Reader/Writer successfully on other Guzzi's. I've tried restarting the laptop and reconnecting the cables. 

« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 12:02:15 PM by HarveyMushman »
Tim

Offline GuzziOrDeath

• Hatchling
« Reply #433 on: February 09, 2023, 04:09:19 PM »

Did you install the FTDI drivers yourself, or did Windows do it for you?

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #434 on: February 09, 2023, 04:53:56 PM »
Did you install the FTDI drivers yourself, or did Windows do it for you?

Windows. Hasn't been a problem before but I'll try manually installing them.  Thanks.
Tim

Offline GuzziOrDeath

• Hatchling
« Reply #435 on: February 09, 2023, 05:33:13 PM »

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #436 on: February 10, 2023, 02:48:30 PM »
These ones, I reckon. 

https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM%20v2.12.36.4%20WHQL%20Certified.zip

Windows will take the right drivers. How many com ports do you see in Guzzidaig if you don't have the usb in the laptop? Check at the option dialog where you can choose the bike.  Note what number it has. Then close guzzidiag, plug the usb in the laptop, and do the same, did you get a new com port the number, than that it the number to use with Guzzidiag.
Look in device manager at the  ports(com & lpt) at the comport that is added, what driver do you see loaded there?
Paul

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #437 on: February 11, 2023, 09:26:55 AM »
Manually installed drivers. Didn't help.  Tried GuzziDiag too, with CalVin selected--also didn't connect. There's only one port listed: COM3. Device Manager says its working correctly.   
Tim

Offline GuzziOrDeath

• Hatchling
« Reply #438 on: February 11, 2023, 03:34:07 PM »

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #439 on: February 11, 2023, 05:11:49 PM »
Lonelec cable checks out--test successful. 

GuzziDiag won't connect.  Everything is normal through turning on the ignition--after a couple seconds it just tells me to turn the ignition off. 

Reader won't connect, same process as described above.
Tim

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #440 on: February 11, 2023, 05:46:21 PM »
Lonelec cable checks out--test successful. 

GuzziDiag won't connect.  Everything is normal through turning on the ignition--after a couple seconds it just tells me to turn the ignition off. 

Reader won't connect, same process as described above.

And when usb plug is not in the laptop, when you start then guzzidiag, it shows no port?  bike killswitch is on run?
Paul

Offline GuzziOrDeath

• Hatchling
« Reply #441 on: February 11, 2023, 05:53:19 PM »

Yes, check the kill switch, otherwise likely the diagnostic connector.

Pins 1 & 3 go to pins 10 & 9 on the ECU. Pin 2 is ground. Check it is actually grounded. You may need to check connectivity of the pins to the ECU.

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #442 on: February 12, 2023, 10:58:44 AM »
And when usb plug is not in the laptop, when you start then guzzidiag, it shows no port?  bike killswitch is on run?

I thought I read here that the kill switch position doesn’t matter? Reader definitely says if I hear the fuel pump I need to try again. Only way not to hear the fuel pump is to push the kill switch to off.

Anyway, I tried with it on and off and the result is the same: no connection.
Tim

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #443 on: February 24, 2023, 07:18:54 AM »
Anybody know where I can find a replacement diagnostic plug?  Pretty sure they're common bits but I don't know how to find one. At some point in the last 57k miles mine lost its cap so maybe it was damaged that way.  I'd rather not have to buy (and install) a complete harness . . .

« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 07:19:54 AM by HarveyMushman »
Tim

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #444 on: February 24, 2023, 07:48:58 AM »
Anybody know where I can find a replacement diagnostic plug?  Pretty sure they're common bits but I don't know how to find one. At some point in the last 57k miles mine lost its cap so maybe it was damaged that way.  I'd rather not have to buy (and install) a complete harness . . .

I've been able to find most connectors from findpigtails.com   I believe that Guzzi uses a 3 pin data connector? It's been a while since I have dug into it or bought my cables.  I bet the people at lonetec or Beetle can tell you exactly which plug/pigtail to get.

Looking through the site, this MAY be the right one. https://findpigtails.com/connector/t81b3/

Also here on Ebay https://www.amazon.com/YETOR-Waterproof-Electrical-Connectors-Connections/dp/B07QDS5DKR/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=3%2Bpin%2Bconnector&qid=1677248593&sr=8-5&th=1

What is damaged? Just corrosion and dirt? Maybe some electronic parts cleaner or Baristol and a toothbrush could clean it up?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 08:24:28 AM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #445 on: February 24, 2023, 08:14:50 AM »
Friendly reminder to all GD users.

Select the correct COM port and MAKE SURE the engine kill switch is NOT engaged.

Last weekend, I finally took possession of my new Baby Breva. Of course the first thing I wanted to do was to hook up Guzzi Diag to check codes, etc. Initially, I could not get the laptop to connect. The message received was 'Ignition Off' Having recently replaced the screen and having the whole computer apart, I assumed I had damaged something. It had also been updated several times since last time I have used Guzzi Diag which was about 2 years ago.

With some chiding harassment (joking) and encouragement from the peanut gallery, I kept at it, deleted USB drivers, reinstalled while dongle was plugged in, checked on another bike, but still no connection.

I decided to start the bike and just drive on. It was then that I realized that the kill switch was engaged and the reason for lack of connecting to GD  because when I flipped it to run, the fuel pump buzzed and the ECU light came on momentarily. Decided to give it another go, found the right COM port to use, and was back in business. Yeah Dummy me..... Not sure how I forgot this important system check, but I did. In my defense, I haven't used GD in at least the last 18 months, so..... Lesson learned.

This relates to a Windows 10 Machine, no idea on other OS.

So as a reminder, if you are having trouble getting GD to connect:
1. Make sure kill switch is set to run
2. Make sure you go into preferences to select the right model MC and com port.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 08:19:47 AM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #446 on: February 24, 2023, 01:23:27 PM »
Yeah, I've checked and confirmed everything suggested to me in this thread. I've got good ground, correct COM, correct ECU, good cable, cleaned the diagnostic plug with deoxit, kill switch is on, and I just successfully connected to my Stelvio with the same equipment. This kinda shit pisses me off so I'm gonna take the Stelvio for a ride. 

Thanks for the links, have ordered.   
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 01:25:51 PM by HarveyMushman »
Tim

Online moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #447 on: February 24, 2023, 07:10:29 PM »
Not sure if I mentioned this earlier , but I have a Lenovo ThinkPad running Win 7 , it would
only connect if I used Com port 7. (On my 2018 Eldorado).  Peter

Offline jamesb

• New Egg
« Reply #448 on: February 25, 2023, 03:46:07 AM »

i purchased the diagnostic cable to obd connector from lonlec but as i already had other obd to usb cables purchased for other bikes  i thought i would use one of them (cheapskate). however when connecting my 1200 sport and continually getting turn ignition on followed by turn ignition off i changed the obd to usb cable and just like that it worked.
the obd to usb cables don't appear to be universal.
the cable that didn't work connected and offered comm 3
the cable that did work connected and offered comm 4
all cables purchased from lonlec.
weird

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #449 on: February 25, 2023, 07:23:39 PM »
This is the end point of all the buggerising around.
What do you guys think about a reading like that on the stepper ?

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here