Author Topic: Cali info and opinions  (Read 820 times)

Offline Stratodisaster

• New Egg
Cali info and opinions
« on: October 13, 2021, 11:50:46 AM »
I’m thinking of selling/trading my Norge. Like the California pretty good (not the 1400). From what I’ve read I’m assuming there’s a good chance mileage is not going to be accurate. Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated. I’m going to have to give up sport tourers due to neck surgery.
Scuotere sonaglio e rotolare

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
Re: Cali info and opinions
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 12:17:34 PM »
Like the California pretty good (not the 1400).

Are you speaking of a carb version early Cali?  Why go back from an FI bike to a carb bike?  If you need to move to a cruiser body, why not search out a good 98 EV.  Best Tonti produced.  Easy to manage a reliable FI system.  Brilliant tubeless wheels.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline MGrego

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 01:38:48 PM »
Once you find a Cali you have an interest in, let the group know what year it is.  Each model year Cali has a lot of information specific to that year, and things to be on the lookout for.  They are wonderful bikes  :thumb:

Online xackley

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 02:02:24 PM »
My 2003 quickly became my favorite. With hydraulic lifter  years make sure the recall was done. Other than that, take it for a short ride and you will no if it fits.
The  cali1100s have personality, almost as much as my r69
Lately I have been thinking of down sizing to a v7 iii, but they seem to be hard to find on the market.
Don
1958 R69 BMW, 1972 R75/5, 1980 yamaha XS650, 1982 GL1100, 2003 EV, 2007 Triumph America and 2017 V7!!!
All on the road, going nowhere in particular.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 02:02:24 PM »

Offline Stratodisaster

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 02:12:25 PM »
The one that’s catching my I right now is a black 04 cali ev. It’s on cycletrader for 4k. I talked to some one there and the odometer either doesn’t work or works intermittently. Shows a little over 9k. It’s close to 1000 miles away. There’s a couple a little closer but they’re 98’s and aren’t black. They look awful nice looking in black.

Offline delrod

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 04:51:00 PM »
An 04 could very well be a hydro which is not necessarily a bad thing. You will ABSOLUTELY need to confirm that recalls have been performed and verified visually. Don't put any faith in documention.
Doug in Pittsburg KS
2003EVT

Offline Dave_NWTrophy

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 06:13:55 PM »
I will add to the chorus of people recommending to validate that all recalls have been done.  Ask them to pull a valve cover and send a photo, and pull the clutch housing plug and send a photo.  Hydraulic engine cam kits are now $3000 from Piaggio, full clutch replacement kits for the single disc units are also very expensive and time consuming to install.

The speedometer can be rebuilt by Joel Levine to get the odometer functioning again.

I would also advise making sure you can test ride before buying.  It will be a very different experience from your Norge, more raw and less refined.  The ergonomics are odd (rear brake pedal especially).  The gearbox especially has a more antiquated feel to it.

If everything works out, that particular '04 looks like a nice find.

Dave

Offline MGrego

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2021, 11:43:48 AM »
With the '04 Cali you get some nice features like tubeless tires (plug and go) ,open loop fuel mapping, and hydraulic lifters.  As mentioned above, you must be 100% sure the recall has been done.  There is a lot of info here about the recall, and even the different versions of the recall.  Make sure it has the double plate clutch and apparently some of this year suffered from cracked triple trees.

Here is my '04, my favorite bike presently. 

koshish karne walon ki poet

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2021, 01:16:06 PM »
I had a '07 Cal-Vin for two years. I was unimpressed so I sold it. Floorboards? No thanks. I'd rather ride my LMIII any day. I took the $$ from the cal vin and got a Tenere 700. Much better tool for the job at hand (for me) Just my .02
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Stratodisaster

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2021, 05:57:47 PM »
I’m sure I would prefer the Norge but may have to go with something else. All I’ve ridden for the last 16 years are st’s and look at other bikes but nothing really trips my trigger. I like the characteristics of the 90* twin but all I see with that type engine is v-strom and duc.

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2021, 06:16:21 PM »
What about white? I like white bikes. I have 3.  :grin: I don't know if Dean Rose is still selling his EV or not. But he is in Virginia. His is white and I believe well taken care of. I don't know Dean but he's been around here a long time so I'm familiar with him from here.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline Iron Cross Junction

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2021, 07:05:55 PM »
I’m thinking of selling/trading my Norge. Like the California pretty good (not the 1400). From what I’ve read I’m assuming there’s a good chance mileage is not going to be accurate. Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated. I’m going to have to give up sport tourers due to neck surgery.

Are you speaking of a carb version early Cali?  Why go back from an FI bike to a carb bike?  If you need to move to a cruiser body, why not search out a good 98 EV.  Best Tonti produced.  Easy to manage a reliable FI system.  Brilliant tubeless wheels.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

First, what Pete said.

My '98 has 105K miles and looks and runs great.

Not sure where you are in "SW Virginia," but you are welcome to demo mine just to see if Tonti Calis are for you.

I live about 10 miles NW of Winchester.

PM me if interested.

Bill

« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 07:09:53 PM by Iron Cross Junction »
Bill Hagan

Proud Member of Moto Guzzi's Envy-of-the-Industry Post-Sale R&D Program!

1998 V11 EV [98 EV]
2004 V11 Ballabio, Sold; sigh
2007 Norge [NORJ], Sold; sigh
2010 Griso [GRISO]
2016 Stornello [BEATA]
2017 V7 III [RADOŚĆ]

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here