Author Topic: Radial Tire Handling Q  (Read 779 times)

Offline smsw

• New Egg
Radial Tire Handling Q
« on: October 13, 2021, 07:29:19 PM »
Both my SP1000 and T3 had classic style tires (tube and bias type), and both 'wandered' on milled roads and grooved roads.  Both were frightening to take up and over the 1" difference in height when changing lanes in a construction zone when they were repaving the roads.  I even found the 4" wide shallow milled strip where temporary lane marking lines had been removed would trap the tire - at least the bike wanted to follow this 'groove'.

I clearly remember the difference in handling when I mounted radials on a car many years ago.  The car tracked straighter, requiring fewer steering inputs.  I've also noticed that my ST1300 and VStrom (both running street tires, radials) show none of the characteristics of the Guzzi's and run straight and true, with no wandering over the same road surfaces that gave my Guzzi's fits.  Both modern bikes even seem to float over that 1" step, though I approach it at as great an angle as I can, and do so infrequently.  Bottom line, the modern bikes with radials seem to have much much better straight line stablity and tracking.

For guys running radials, how does your Guzzi handle on milled or grooved roads?

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Radial Tire Handling Q
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 07:44:28 PM »
For years I ran either Avon Roadrunners or Roadriders on my T-3. No issues with grooved, etc. road surfaces. Do remember those grooves giving fits when I owned the T-3 early on and it had bias ply.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 08:31:31 PM »
On my 2004 EV, any time I put radial tires on it, it squirmed all over the place. More than once in the middle of a trip I had to replace the rear tire, and a radial on the rear made for a miserable ride. I learned that I could air it up to well over the normal max, to like 46 PSI, and it was OK. Anything less felt like riding on a flat tire.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 11:04:42 PM »
I’m not sure about older Guzzi’s , but on my V7II the biggest improvement I made to the suspension was a set of Conti road arrack II radials . The difference was amazing,the harshness on small irregularities in the pavement disappeared. I recently bought a V7/850 , it came with bias ply Dunlop tires & I can’t wait for them to wear out & put a set of Conti’s on that too . Oh I’m on my second set with the V7II @ 20k Mi. Original Pirelli’s lasted about 7K . Radials last almost the same . I’m not to worried about milage as tires are cheaper than plaster of Paris (crashes really suck) .

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 11:04:42 PM »

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 12:15:05 AM »
 I'm curious , for those who've mounted tubeless radials on the older spoke rims , have any of you made an inquiry
with the tire manufacturers if this is an acceptable practice ? I've emailed one and received no reply . I ask
because many years ago I put a set of radials on my Le Mans 2 at the suggestion of the dealer I bought it
from and the bike handled horribly . I got in touch with Michelin's Canadian distributor and his remark , was not
to mount them on those rims . The dealer exchanged them after speaking with the Michelin rep . Yes it was
a long time ago , and the alloy rims were a WM type . It's not just a case of holding air .  Peter

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 05:22:18 AM »
I fitted Conti radials to my LM2 earlier this year. They transformed the bike and I'm converted. I use 100/90 front and 110/90 rear, as recommended, Road and Classic Attack.
They're mounted tubeless on the Guzzi cast wheels. I see no point in using tubes, as I don't want to experience an instant deflation puncture; with tubeless, you get a slower puncture and some warning. The radials provide great feedback and give greater confidence and improved handling, going hand in hand with the suspension improvements I've made.

Offline Chethro

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 05:45:32 AM »
Conti's on my V7 were a big improvement.
2018 DR 650
2020 V85TT
2022 V7 850 Stone

Online Beowulf

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 06:53:16 AM »
When I converted my V7 II to Continental road attacks I never looked back. The feel for two up riding was amazing. Before that the bias ply felt a little squirrelly. Just my two cents

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2021, 12:40:52 PM »
Have to consider the rim design. Older wheels may not have the correct profile to properly seat/hold a tubeless tires.

The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2021, 01:11:58 PM »
 ^ That was pretty much my earlier experience . In reference to "Stevex's" earlier remark , a simple sealing washer around the
 tire (tube) valve pretty much excludes the chance of rapid air escape , don't you think ? Yours has the stock WM mag wheels
 I'm assuming .  Peter

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here