Author Topic: Steering issues Hydraulic damper adjustment  (Read 831 times)

Offline izzug otom

• Gaggle Mentor
Steering issues Hydraulic damper adjustment
« on: August 16, 2019, 10:39:42 PM »
Hi, I've had some issues with my front end handling on my '95 Cali 1100.

The symptoms aresteering feels light andwandering when coming slowly to a stop, like at traffic lights etc. The front end really dives with the ruts in the road severely. I know there's always an acceptable level for this, but it's a lot more pronounced than that. I've lso felt a bit of speed wobble around 80mph that had never been an issue before, and always was very solid and stable up to 100mph.

I've had the bike 5 yrs, so the differences I'm feeling now are definite from the experience of lots of riding on her.

I've just had an MOT, and personally checked  the steering head bearings, which were perfect, free moving, no notchig, and no free play. The wheel bearings are also good, althoygh on one side the outer casing of the bearing is a little loose in the hub. Wheel allignment also seems good.

Puzzled, thinking it was likely the steering head bearings, and just looking around, I noticed that the top suspension adjustment knob for the hydraulic damping onthe right hand fork was set all the wayto one notch from the maximum to the clockwise, whereas the other is set somewhere in the middle. ............... I've had trouble with kids messing around with the bike in the street outside my house, and suspect one of them has turned the knob.

I assume I'm right in thinking that this will most likely be the cause of the above issues, don't you think guys?

My question is, does nyone know the factory settings for the hydraulic damper knobs? All I can see is thatit says not to ride with them in the extreme positions. I'm not sure if the kids would have adjusted the other side too.

I know I can trial and error them, settig them the same both sides and test riding, but it might save me  lot of twiddling if anyone knows whatthe factory setting are.

Any help much appreciated, Izzug

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Steering issues Hydraulic damper adjustment
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 12:08:55 AM »
The "factory" setting will be wherever lugi found it easiest fo fit the forks on the assmebly line. Somewhere in the middle is probablly a pretty good start. The other thing I'd ask and it depends on exactly which forks you have is when was the last time the fork oil was changed, espciallyon damper rod forks it has a lifesapn and has some fairly drastic side affects on handling when it goes past it.

Offline izzug otom

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 12:24:11 AM »
It's been a couple of years since I changed the fork oil, but onlyridden 1500miles since. I think it should still be good. Abit of a sudden change for that to be the case too perhaps?

I'll give it a go in the mid settings tmro and see if it changes things.

Thanks

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 01:27:33 AM »
Check your air pressure in your tires first.  Low air pressure will make the sidewalls flex too much and feel squirrelly.  Try getting the tires to operating temp.  then check to see if they're near max pressure on the sidewall.  Experiment to see what works for you.

After that put the bike on the center stand then check to see if the swingarm bearings are tight enough or too loose.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 01:27:33 AM »

Offline Mr Revhead

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 03:57:29 AM »
There is no "factory seting" it all depends on weight etc. To check the adjustment of the compression and rebound,  turn full one way and bounce hard, then full the other way and check the difference. If none, or not much, the oil needs changing.
If that checks out, then adjust them to what suits you. Good place to start is to have them set so when you shove hard on the forks they bounce back up and settle, no up, down up again. If that makes sense.

As for your problem, tyre wear? Mine gets a bit of a twitch at certain speeds when worn

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 06:01:06 AM »
Check your air pressure in your tires first.  Low air pressure will make the sidewalls flex too much and feel squirrelly.  Try getting the tires to operating temp.  then check to see if they're near max pressure on the sidewall.  Experiment to see what works for you.

After that put the bike on the center stand then check to see if the swingarm bearings are tight enough or too loose.
Yes, I have found running near the max. air pressure is best. Also look to see if your front tire is worn unevenly.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 09:14:51 AM »
Check the axle, fender/fork brace, engine mounts, handlebar clamps, and the triple-clamp for proper torque.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline izzug otom

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 08:49:48 AM »
Thanks guys. Equaling out the hydraulic adjusters has made a huge improvement. .............. Bloody kids messing about with it. Been stealing my petrol too ffs! One time a neighbour found my entire petrol cap assembly on the floor near my bike. Not the brightest of kids then, as it wasn't even locked, and the idiots never even tried to press the button to see if it'd open first. Ah well she's kept in my locked backyard now.

As for tyres, all pressures are good. Just had a new tyre fitted a couple of weeks back for my MOT. I had problrm before the tyre change, slightly improved after the change, but not much.

The old tyre hadn't worn unevenly, but was old and had lost a lot of it's stretch. Pirelli Demon I think, but now with a battleaxe, to match what's on the rear.

What's the procedure for that Tom? Is it similar to wheel beearing etc, just seeing if there's any play/wobble in the left to right movement? ....... I'm assuming it can't be too tight?

Thanks for all the in put guys. ......... going to check the tappets now.  :wink:

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 03:28:11 PM »
Put the bike on the c-stand. Make sure the rear wheel/tire is of the ground.  Grab the rear wheel and move it side to side.  If you have free play, the swing arm bearings need adjusting.  If after adjusting and you still have free play, replacement might have to be the option.

You did say that you checked the steering neck bearings for wear, right?
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here