Author Topic: Most Memorable Motorcycle Experience.  (Read 2930 times)

Offline mhershon

• Gosling
Re: Most Memorable Motorcycle Experience.
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2023, 02:54:42 PM »
Mike, as you well know, it was so different from how you or I had ever ridden a motorcycle - it was just a shock. We sometimes think we ride our bikes hard but we only use a little of their capacities, don't we? That ride with Jason was SUCH an eye-opener! I'm glad you commented, Mike. I felt like no one understood. Thanks!

Offline vintagehoarder

• Cycle Hoarders
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Ride to Eat, Eat To Ride
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2023, 07:29:11 AM »
Hard to narrow it down to one!!  The one that came to mind was renting Ducati Multistrada's in Milan, riding around Lake Como and visiting Moto Guzzi, truly once in a life time opportunity and trip for me!!

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrB5aXOgy5M&t=584s
Cyclehoarders Garage
2021 Honda CT125 Trail Cub
2018 Triumph Tiger 800
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring 1400
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Speical
2009 Vepsa GTS 250 ie
1987 Suzuki Samurai (4 Wheels)
1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850
1969 Yamaha YAS1C
La Grange, KY

Offline Guzzistaracing

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Norwegian with a love for all Italian
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2023, 04:53:25 PM »
In a personal experience it is the trip home from the 95 years aniversary of the company. Flew down, bought a Norge in Mandello and rode it home to Norway. Biggest of all is the day my oldest son said he would ride a bike. This has led to my youngest son also wanting to ride. Starting on a 125 now and getting them off to a good start.
Ex.85�suzuki katana
 85`Le Mans 1000
`?? 1100 sport
`51 Ariel KH500
`07 Griso 850, black
`71 Nuovo Falcone civile
`78 BMW R100RS
`98 Centauro
`07 Norge
Current:
`99 Quota
`84 V65

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2023, 01:44:59 PM »
Mike, as you well know, it was so different from how you or I had ever ridden a motorcycle - it was just a shock. We sometimes think we ride our bikes hard but we only use a little of their capacities, don't we? That ride with Jason was SUCH an eye-opener! I'm glad you commented, Mike. I felt like no one understood. Thanks!
It gets worse! After the two-up rides, and everyone went back in the classroom.  A few of us started pumping Jason about what his pace "two-up" was compared to racing.  He kept trying to brush us off and change the subject, but we persisted.  Finally, he relented and said, "Guys, I'm only running about 20-25% race pace out there with you on the back!"  Ahhhhhhh!  Lot's of moaning and headshaking after that. 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2023, 01:44:59 PM »

Offline mhershon

• Gosling
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2023, 05:41:54 PM »
Quote from MotorMike: It gets worse! After the two-up rides, and everyone went back in the classroom.  A few of us started pumping Jason about what his pace "two-up" was compared to racing.  He kept trying to brush us off and change the subject, but we persisted.  Finally, he relented and said, "Guys, I'm only running about 20-25% race pace out there with you on the back!"  Ahhhhhhh!  Lot's of moaning and headshaking after that.

I can hardly believe that! I can believe 60% or some number like that... I guess I just don't want to believe that guys can ride motorcycles that much better than I can - THAT much better. And in my case he was doing it two-up on a stock-and-standard K100RS. Not a Superbike on slicks. He even had a scared-to-death passenger back there!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 05:43:50 PM by mhershon »

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2023, 11:32:35 AM »
Quote from MotorMike: It gets worse! After the two-up rides, and everyone went back in the classroom.  A few of us started pumping Jason about what his pace "two-up" was compared to racing.  He kept trying to brush us off and change the subject, but we persisted.  Finally, he relented and said, "Guys, I'm only running about 20-25% race pace out there with you on the back!"  Ahhhhhhh!  Lot's of moaning and headshaking after that.

I can hardly believe that! I can believe 60% or some number like that... I guess I just don't want to believe that guys can ride motorcycles that much better than I can - THAT much better. And in my case he was doing it two-up on a stock-and-standard K100RS. Not a Superbike on slicks. He even had a scared-to-death passenger back there!

This is the video that most obviously shows me my place in the world of riding ability. On my best day I may have been mid-pack in these guys, who generally are far past their best days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llMFtQb4lLs

Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline mhershon

• Gosling
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2023, 05:57:49 PM »
Wow. Corser has maybe 30 horsepower, no rear suspension, almost no front suspension, effectively no brakes...and he rides around all those genuine racing bikes in just a few laps. Wow.

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2023, 09:28:01 PM »
Wow. Corser has maybe 30 horsepower, no rear suspension, almost no front suspension, effectively no brakes...and he rides around all those genuine racing bikes in just a few laps. Wow.
Yes, and with all due respect to Jason Pridmore, as good as he rode, he was seldom a podium finisher in Superbike.  I'll never forget watching Mat Mladin and Aaron Yates on Suzuki Superbikes at Road Atlanta's Turn 5.  Both riders would pin the throttle on the exit and allow the bike to drift wide over the top of the "gator teeth" to widen the turn (there was a small access road on the other side of the curbing allowing them to stay on the pavement) Each bike would come completely off the ground a few inches, the engine instantly hitting the rev limiter. The bike would hit the pavement, squirm and shake as the tires spun for traction (long before traction control and such) and up the hill they would go, never ONCE letting off the gas for an instant.  You had to see it to believe it.  And they did it exactly the same way lap after lap.  It was insane.  These guys are so far above our riding skills, it's really incomprehensible.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 09:30:03 PM by Motormike »

Offline mhershon

• Gosling
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2023, 06:04:39 PM »
I watched Carlos Checa win both races at Miller in Salt Lake, but from where I was on the course he never did anything spectacular. He was just ultra-smooth and faster than anyone else. It didn't LOOK that much different from what you and I do on our bikes. Certainly nothing like what you describe here. Gives me chills just reading it...

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2023, 08:16:42 PM »
I took CLASS class once and while the old man was a good guy, I didn’t get a lot from the instructors or from Jason Pridmore, who seemed at that point to be a little too secure in his own capability.  Maybe a little spoiled  :wink:

Separately I went on street rides with David Emde (one time 250 National Champ) a few times and the idea of somebody being on a completely different level definitely resonates.  He could do more on Honda VFR with his girlfriend on the back than any mortal I’ve seen and was completely fearless.  On the other hand he was killed in 2003 riding on those same roads.  He was regardless a good guy and an amazing rider.

Online jrt

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2023, 09:50:37 PM »
I think you described it accurately-  fearless.  Yeah- those guys are all way beyond my ability, but they have surgery and scars that I don't have.  You don't learn to slide both tires at full throttle over a hill sort of thing without a few consequences.  They have my respect for their riding ability.  Not as much for their self-preservation instincts ;)
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here