Author Topic: Shooting Down the Drones  (Read 14340 times)

Offline Bonafide Bob

• Gosling
Re: Shooting Down the Drones
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 06:39:09 AM »
I agree that is was an invasion of privacy, I hope the charges get dismissed.

We have freedom of speech, as long as we don't say to much.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 07:28:32 AM »
I see greater controversy over these things in the future.

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 07:45:38 AM »
There are several interesting legal questions here.  In my part of the country, drones are being used by real estate agents to photograph houses they are trying to sell, and the aerial photos are then put into the sales brochures.  To reach the house being photographed, the drones must either fly over public streets or over other people's homes.  If the latter, would that be considered trespassing?  Before the drone era, the same thing was done by real estate agents, using small manned aircraft or helicopters.  Is an aircraft flying over my home considered to be trespassing?  If so, there's a lot of trespassing over my home every day.  Not to mention Google Maps, which clearly shows my back yard, including the picnic table and chairs.

Another legal question is, who owns the drone after it comes down on my property?  Perhaps the drone operator would be more respectful if (s)he had to buy back the drone whenever it came down on someone else's property.

Still another question:  police have routinely used aerial surveillance for spotting pot plantations, etc., and they may already be using drones for this purpose.  If a private party flying a drone spots illegal activity on my property, would the evidence be admissible in court?

I think the law may have some catching up to do.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 07:45:38 AM »

Hymes Inc.

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 07:57:21 AM »
The guy clearly state's that if the drone was just flying past he has no problem. The problem was that it was hovering. I agree with him.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 08:03:11 AM »
  A drone hovering around your house and property should be destroyed and the person controlling it should be pummeled with rotten vegetables in the town square.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 08:08:01 AM »
Aircraft are limited to 1000 feet above populated areas except for landing. In Indiana, at any rate, you own the airspace above your property. I'm *assuming* that is nation wide. That drone was trespassing, and the guy had a right to take it out.
There used to be a model airplane flying field a couple of miles from me. Paved runway and all. The land owner of an adjoining field decided she didn't like those model airplanes flying over her property on approach to landing. It went to court, and there is no longer a flying field.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 08:28:08 AM »
I think Chuck pointed out the big difference that manned aircraft are going to be a 1,000 ft plus and moving rapidly through unlike some of the drone reports where the drone is very low or even head level and hovering. I would be tempted to take one like that out or at least try to disable it so either I an now in control of it and if the owner wants it back that person will at least have to have a face to face meeting with me and probably a LEO.
Regarding the guy shooting that drone. If he brought it down with #8 shot then that drone was too close and low.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 09:50:33 AM »
And the military is getting into the act

Just a few years ago, the United States had a near-monopoly on drones. No longer. As the tiny, unmanned aerial vehicles become ubiquitous on battlefields around the world, the U.S. Army is studying how to shoot them down with a chain gun.
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 10:00:28 AM »
The system shown was developed for shooting down rockets and artillery shells in flight.  If the drone got in range of the gun it is way too close.d

Current demand is for a several mile range to destroy a drone.

I hope that the guy who flew the drone is fined and/or jailed.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 10:01:38 AM »
 Legally speaking, it is not a violation of privacy unless the government is doing it.   Then boils down to trespassing by another private person, and I am not sure how a drone flying over your property would fit into that.  Could be seen as an "extension" of your eyes in an area that would other wise not be visible were you standing on the street.   This all so new, I'm sure there's not very much case law  when it comes to spying with drones.   Regardless, the discharge of a firearm even on his own property will be a separate issue. FWIW,  I am not a lawyer,  but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:29:08 PM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Online Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 10:20:26 AM »
Aircraft are limited to 1000 feet above populated areas except for landing. In Indiana, at any rate, you own the airspace above your property. I'm *assuming* that is nation wide. That drone was trespassing, and the guy had a right to take it out.
There used to be a model airplane flying field a couple of miles from me. Paved runway and all. The land owner of an adjoining field decided she didn't like those model airplanes flying over her property on approach to landing. It went to court, and there is no longer a flying field.

Maybe I imagined this, but doesnt the FAA limit civilian drone flights to max 300-400 ft altitude?
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 11:03:32 AM »
Regarding the guy shooting that drone. If he brought it down with #8 shot then that drone was too close and low.
GliderJohn

Yea, with no. 8 size pellets the drone must have been only 30 yds away.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 11:06:30 AM »
 I hope the drone operator is charged with a crime and convicted.  it is time for these privacy invasions to cease.
 Just because the laws have not kept pace with technology is no reason it should stay that way.
 Laws need to beenacted, AND ENFORCED, to limit what drones are allowed to do.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 11:32:18 AM »
Too many of the laws in the USA are 'case laws', where the original law is all but lost because one case is base one another case, which is based on another case,  which is based on another case, which is based on another case, which is based on another case, ect..

Many folks will be surprised that they own and control less than they believe, above and below the ground.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 11:59:23 AM »
Too many of the laws in the USA are 'case laws', where the original law is all but lost because one case is base one another case, which is based on another case,  which is based on another case, which is based on another case, which is based on another case, ect..

Many folks will be surprised that they own and control less than they believe, above and below the ground.

Which is how you can say the 'air' over your back yard belongs to you.  Several instances of 'case law' have established that if you smoke and the smoke goes into your neighbors' yard then you are found negligent.

Since a drone can be hazardous to your health, then same law would apply?

Until then the FAA has established rules for drone flight, including model airplanes, that make flying over your neighbors' yard "illegal".  The only thing to be determined is what the city/county/state will do to enforce it and any penatiles, or if a tort case will succeed in awarding damages.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 12:16:20 PM »
If I'm not mistaken there is some new rules for drones.  Commercial activity requires registration with the FAA.  They want to track usage.  Seems that this stuff would be in the same category as a tethered balloon  UAV's are still aircraft.  Of course you could not obey officials and still operate your UAV and be stupid.

Shoot the operator!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OueAb9YFaa0
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 12:17:30 PM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 01:32:09 PM »
$75k reward for the boneheads who flew their drones in the way of NorCal firefighting aircraft

http://boingboing.net/2015/07/30/california-county-offers-750.html
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 01:45:47 PM »

And so it's always been in western law.  Consider property rights.  By some legal narratives, we don't actually own any property.  What we own is a set of rights to the property, and these rights differ by jurisdiction.  We never own all the rights, because some rights are reserved for the state (or the regent, in the old days).  Interpretation of the rights comes out of case law, and can change over time.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 03:00:07 PM »
$75k reward for the boneheads who flew their drones in the way of NorCal firefighting aircraft

http://boingboing.net/2015/07/30/california-county-offers-750.html

The Sheriffs Department would have the right to take the drones out because of the interference with emergency operations affecting the safety of others.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 04:06:10 PM »
I don't want any drones flying around my house.

This MAY be legal to shoot within city limits.....  http://wildlifecapture.com/small-animal-net-gun
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 04:24:23 PM »
A paintball gun and/or pellet rifle would work too.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 04:34:16 PM »
Someone should sell a bazooka like gun with expanding net to trap unwanted drones.  :grin:

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 04:43:59 PM »
Quote from Arizona Wayne:
Someone should sell a bazooka like gun with expanding net to trap unwanted drones.

I like that idea. Something like they use to catch birds to tag.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2015, 04:48:47 PM »
I don't want any drones flying around my house.

This MAY be legal to shoot within city limits.....  http://wildlifecapture.com/small-animal-net-gun

You guys missed this before you posted. :shocked:

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2015, 10:10:32 PM »
If I'm not mistaken there is some new rules for drones.  Commercial activity requires registration with the FAA.  They want to track usage.  Seems that this stuff would be in the same category as a tethered balloon  UAV's are still aircraft.  Of course you could not obey officials and still operate your UAV and be stupid.

Most UAVs are operated as 'model aircraft'.  THe FAA has specific guidelines for what a 'model aircraft' is.  One rule is that they are not flown over other people's property and that they are flown as direct line of sight, ie, the pilot has to be able to see the aircraft without the aid of a video camera or other optics.  This is the point that many of these people violate on a regular basis and should be reason enough to fine them, put them in jail and subject them to lawsuits.

FWIW, many model airplane flying clubs will host a 'shoot the plane' at certain events.  You pay some money ($5-10) for the privilege of trying to shoot down an airplane with a paintball gun.  It is fun.  Not too hard when it is close in (less than 100ft).
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2015, 10:16:16 PM »
Don't see the problems with local enforcement taking care of some idiot with a drone/uav.

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2015, 10:33:10 PM »
I agree with Tom and Charlie B.

What's to stop one from getting a drone to protect their property from another drone - dogfight?
Kirk

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2015, 02:50:30 AM »
  That would be sporting.  A string hanging from your drone with a small weight at the end.   Fly your drone over the enemy drone
  and the string gets snared in the enemy drones' rotors then is released from your drone so that yours does not crash with it.

Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Bonafide Bob

• Gosling
We have freedom of speech, as long as we don't say to much.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here