Author Topic: New Norge Owner  (Read 1887 times)

JJC1957

New Norge Owner
« on: July 31, 2015, 09:19:59 AM »
I just purchased a 2008 Moto Guzzi Norge with 9,000 miles on her and I have a couple of questions.
When riding and if I let off the gas and get back on it is not smooth at all. The bike makes a big clunk every time I let off the gas or get on the gas. I have owned shaft bikes in the past and never had one ride like this one. You can really hear the shaft on this bike almost like a metal on metal sound. The bike is very hard to ride smooth at slow speeds in traffic and is very rough. When I start the bike up cold it idles at 1,200 RPM’s but when it is warmed up it idles at 1,800 RPM’s, just the opposite of what it should do. I did take it to a Guzzi dealer and they did take it for a ride but if you drive it hard 3,000 RPM’s and up it is very smooth but get stuck in traffic and boy what a difference. They said it needed a tune up. Anyone or is everyone having this problem on the bike that you own? My last bike was a Triumph Thunderbird SE 1600 belt drive and was so much smoother then this bike.
I have put the Heli bars on and purchased a gel cover for the seat. 

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
Re: New Norge Owner
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 11:37:18 PM »
Congrats on the bike, and welcome!

I would have the dealer or an experienced shop service and tune the bike. I think you will be much happier with it then.

From what I hear, they are barely broken in at 9,000 miles.

Hopefully someone else can chime in. In the meantime, welcome aboard!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 10:47:25 AM »
Quote from: JJC1957 on July 31, 2015, 09:37:13 AM
I also just purchased a 2008 Norge with 9,000 miles on her and I also was thinking something must be wrong with this bike. Great on the highway and good above 3,000 RPM's but get stuck in traffic as I did yesterday and boy was that fun. Very rough at slow speeds. I have been riding motorcycles since 1978 and have had many bikes. When I start her up cold she idles at 1,200 RPM but after she gets warmed up the idles goes to 1,800 RPM?

Well it sounds like it's been fiddled with by someone who doesn't understand it. Is the paint still intact on the throttle stop screw/s? Where is the oil level on the dipstick? Are the throttle bodies balanced? What is the TPS reading on a closed throttle?

Pete

Pete
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 11:17:46 AM »
Welcome! The Norge is known to have low speed fueling problems that are easily fixed by remapping. It takes about $25 to get the cables you need to reflash the ECU.

I have a Breva 1100 (basically a naked Norge) and the transmission is always loud but almost always smooth as silk. In over 8,000 miles I have never had a false neutral. Not one. And I almost never miss a shift. It's interesting how something that sounds so crude is so good.

As for the bang when you roll on the gas, if your fuel map really is that shitty then it's just due to that. But even with a perfect map, the drive line is just as loud as the transmission and there will be occasional noises that surprise you, but it's normal. These bikes LOVE to remind you that they're hand made by Luigi.

You'll get it sorted, and they are loads of fun to ride.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 11:17:46 AM »

ajonen

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 01:11:33 PM »
i have a first gen norge that had idling problems.  It ended up being the idle air control. 
Pull the tank off the bike, then plug the idle air hose leading into the air  filter.  This will effectively disable it and your idle will return to normal.

JJC1957

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 08:21:10 AM »
Thanks for the info guys and I made a appointment with the dealer on 8/13/15 to get a tune up. When I get it back I will do my own work due to most will be covered in my 60 day warranty. The dealer said that the dash might need to be replaced as they have replaced more Norge dash boards then they want to. They are a Moto Guzzi dealer and are very good one. I can't select anything when I push the button in on the left bar. I can toggle but can't select anything like reset trip meters or reset the clock. If they can't fix the idle thing then I will try the plug the idle under the tank thing.
Thanks again

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here