Author Topic: Thanks.  (Read 1801 times)

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
Thanks.
« on: August 01, 2015, 08:35:58 PM »

Well having finished the cross country trek on the Guzzi yesterday, I rested today and took only a short ride with Wife Sue, on the Harley…

During the 3460 mile ride from San Diego, California to Wiscasset, Maine I completed an Iron Butt Association Saddle Sore 1000, not yet confirmed by the IBA however, it will be as soon as I send in the receipts and time sheet along with the witness signatures.

The SS 1000 was from San Diego to Amarillo, Texas and was completed within the 24 hour time limit as per the rules of the challenge. Thanks to IBA Member Dick “Mac” McKechnie from San Diego for acting as my starting witness for the SS 1000, the fellow on the other end that I had sign for me was not asked to have his name published, I will thank him in a personal note to him.

During the later part of the ride I experienced an electrical gremlin with the V11 California Jackal having engine cut-out problems that was difficult to track down while on the road and threatening to end the ride. I initially could not discern whether the problem was fuel or electrical in nature, extremely frustrating.

A huge thanks to the Moto Guzzi community, namely the all the WildGuzzi Forum Guys and in particular Ron Komoroski, for the help and assistance in trying to diagnose the issue so that I could stay on the ride and not have to abandon the ride, ship the motorcycle home and catch a flight back to Maine. I truly appreciate you all.

Thanks also to Wife Sue for putting up with the cockamamie ideas that I come up with, I could have just shipped the Guzzi home instead of riding it back. Thanks most especially the assistance on hotel room reservations each night as I headed East... I would call her a 100 miles or so from a stopping point and she would make the on-line reservations for me. I could have done this but help saved me that time which was better spent for riding.

Ride on folks.
Best,
Rob
Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Thanks.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 06:36:01 AM »
Congratulations on the Iron Butt-what time did you leave SD?

And fuel stops-when did you get the light, or did you set miles as a goal?

And finally-fuel mileage?

And also finally-miles per day after Amarillo/

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 08:35:18 AM »
Congratulations on the Iron Butt-what time did you leave SD?

And fuel stops-when did you get the light, or did you set miles as a goal?

And finally-fuel mileage?

And also finally-miles per day after Amarillo/

Aaron,
I left San Diego @ 3:10 AM, as in in the 3:10 to Yuma...  BTW, that puts you arriving at 6:45.   :laugh:

I would seldom wait for the light as I could not rely accurately on were the next fuel opportunity would be after one I would pass up so I pulled in at 100 mile stops.  I would push the "Exit Services" button on the Zumo looking for fuel nearby and decide whether to push on or not...I know that sounds like a pain to real long distance riders however, I was able to get off my butt, stretch etc and get right back on.

Having just now sat down with the receipts I find that fuel mileage was right around 41 to 46 mpg depending on how I kept my fist into the happy handle... and except for the section of time when heading for RonKom's in Lynchburg and the engine was misbehaving so badly, that gained me 29 mpg at times...!

After the first leg I settled down into less than 500 mile days, often fewer as the heat and humidity was just brutal.  I could not  ingest enough fluids, every stop was another Gatorade and refill the Camel-Bak with water. 

Crazy hot, I did several times cut the day's ride short by a hundred plus miles of the daily goal.  For example, I targeted Little Rock as a stop and pulled into Fort Smith instead, too hot and I had to get off the road.

Best,
Rob

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 11:31:42 AM »
Thanks again-you know, I think that riding 500/day is pretty good for a trip like that, it makes a difference if you are riding 2 days vs 5 or 6 days.

And I think 100 mile stints are the same-keeps a fellow or lady fresh.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 11:31:42 AM »

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 11:42:12 AM »
When I ride long distance I find 300-350 miles a day about right.  Otherwise I get too tired after the first 2 days of 500 miles.  Yeah, your southern route is the most brutal time of the year to do it.  :whip2:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here