Author Topic: Stelvio driveshaft removal  (Read 2102 times)

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
Stelvio driveshaft removal
« on: January 28, 2017, 05:02:30 PM »
Hey guys I'm in the process of greasing my swingarm bearings on my '15 Stelvio and have completed that task and greased the shock pivots but before putting it back together I wanted to get to the splines on the output shaft thus needing to remove the driveshaft.  I've followed Leafman's nice guide to do all this stuff but even though I've whacked the driveshaft at the upper cross area with enough force to make me wince (I have used both a piece of wood and a larger punch to hit the cross with) the shaft hasn't released yet.  Am I missing something?  I can see the output splines appear dry so I would like to get this done but don't want to damage the driveshaft casting at the cross in my zeal to get this off.  Thanks

btw my bearings had a thin smear of light grease on them but everything wiped up clean and I've added lots of sticky SIG 3000 grease to them and the shock pivots, hope that is a decent quality grease for this application.  Pics later.

pete roper

Re: Stelvio driveshaft removal
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 05:15:56 PM »
No need to remove it. Just get some chain lube and spray it up the yoke and spines, it'll work its way in. It's not there to lubricate, it's there to keep air out.

Pete

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 05:34:06 PM »
Thanks much Pete!  I will do that.  Pics of my bearings below, not too bad but not enough grease to protect them from the factory.

I also need to figure out what the small part is in the two pictures with the bearings, I found it on my lift stand during the disassembly but didn't see where it came from.  Anybody recognize it?

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 07:51:20 PM »
 Direction changing lever off your ratchet?? :popcorn:

Paul B :boozing:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 08:56:27 PM by RinkRat II »
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 07:51:20 PM »

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 08:39:10 PM »
Hi guys. 

Yes, as mentioned in that pictorial, you certainly do not have to remove the driveshaft BUT, if you do want to remove it (to lube splines etc), it should release with a quick rap using a drift or something similar as shown. You do not have to release any clip or anything.

I have done mine more than once as have others.

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 09:21:27 PM »
Direction changing lever off your ratchet?? :popcorn:

Astounding!  I thought it was off my Stelvio like some part of the ABS or such not, had me worried no end.  Had to run down to the garage and check out your theory and I feel much better now!  Thanks Paul I owe you one.

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 11:52:52 AM »
 Happy to be of assistance,karma you know!  We used to have fun at work by waiting till one of the guy's in the shop was done with an overhaul and went to set up the test bench, we'd go over to his bench and leave a small spring or gasket inconspicuosly placed then watch him go crazy trying to figure it out. :evil:

A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 02:06:10 PM »
Happy to be of assistance,karma you know!  We used to have fun at work by waiting till one of the guy's in the shop was done with an overhaul and went to set up the test bench, we'd go over to his bench and leave a small spring or gasket inconspicuosly placed then watch him go crazy trying to figure it out. :evil:

The trick is even worse when an inanimate tool is playing it on you.

So there's ONE tool brand we'd better put on the "do not buy" list!!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 06:47:43 PM »
Yeah just some inexpensive (you get what you pay for) tool I picked up at the local ACE hardware store.  That lever and the 13mm socket that just cracked while working on the bike have me thinking I need to maybe splash out for more expensive stuff.  Hate to throw away what I have though.  When buying new tools I've tried to go for quality stuff but can't always get it in a timely fashion so I make do with what I got or can get locally.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 06:29:24 AM »
By several requests-

The swingarm post-

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=66579.0

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here