Author Topic: Five (5) little motorcycles...(NGC)  (Read 2528 times)

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
Five (5) little motorcycles...(NGC)
« on: November 03, 2018, 08:10:21 AM »
 Five (5) obscure little bikes from my youth, coming up FOR SALE this January at the MECUM auction in Vegas.

Any one of these would be fun to BUZZ AROUND here in Vortex-Land!😎👍😀

* 1969 Kawasaki 120TR Roadrunner
* 1970 Sachs MX125 Motorcross
* 1966 Bultaco Campera USA
* 1968 Penton 100 Berkshire
* 1977 Hercules 125

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Five (5) little motorcycles...(NGC)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 08:41:15 AM »
The 60s models were some of the bikes I dreamed about when I were a lad, just getting into bikes .... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 09:28:32 AM »
The 60s models were some of the bikes I dreamed about when I were a lad, just getting into bikes .... !

Lannis

The same for me...as a skinny teenager, I used to "drool" looking at these model in cycle magazines of the period.  The other one I lusted over was a red-framed, chrome tank, Hodaka Ace 100...never owned one...but always wanted one!  :thumb: :cool: :smiley:

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 09:30:27 AM by JJ »
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Rusty goose

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 10:42:43 AM »
I just sold my '70 DKW, that thing was a real screamer.  It had the Sachs 6B engine, six speed trans and short stroke 125cc. With the Motoplat ignition is was supposed to be producing 25hp, it sure felt like it. It was a real wheelie machine!

I sold it to get something with more torque, less of the on-off full throttle bit.  So putting together the engine on my '69 BSA 441 Victor Special today.  I probably have not improved on personal safety anyway.
Rusty
" A situation is never so bad that it can't get just a little bit worse."

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 10:42:43 AM »

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 12:23:50 PM »
I just sold my '70 DKW, that thing was a real screamer.  It had the Sachs 6B engine, six speed trans and short stroke 125cc. With the Motoplat ignition is was supposed to be producing 25hp, it sure felt like it. It was a real wheelie machine!

I sold it to get something with more torque, less of the on-off full throttle bit.  So putting together the engine on my '69 BSA 441 Victor Special today.  I probably have not improved on personal safety anyway.

Another timeless classic!!  :thumb: :cool: :wink:

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 02:25:07 PM »
The same for me...as a skinny teenager, I used to "drool" looking at these model in cycle magazines of the period.  The other one I lusted over was a red-framed, chrome tank, Hodaka Ace 100...never owned one...but always wanted one!  :thumb: :cool: :smiley:

I tired so hard to convince my parents to let be buy an Ace 100 with the money I earn from my paper route. Didn't happen, still would like to have one.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

canuck750

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 04:21:02 PM »
I tired so hard to convince my parents to let be buy an Ace 100 with the money I earn from my paper route. Didn't happen, still would like to have one.

Check out The Old Motorcycle Shop in Calgary Alberta, they ship anywhere in the world. They have the nicest Hodaka for sale you will ever find. I saw it a couple weeks ago when I was in their shop it’s a stunner. They list on EBay as well.

www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-motocross/calgary/1974-hodaka-dirt-squirt-100

« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 06:14:06 PM by canuck750 »

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 07:35:41 AM »
Hey Steve, I'll ride it back for you.......you buy I'll fly........it's only across the continent...... :popcorn:
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 08:04:10 AM »
My uncle has my father's '69 Super Rat race bike with the Ace 100 packed away in his barn.  He also has my mother's '70 or so Steen 100MX with the same engine and the interesting leading link fork.  Anyone remember those?  Uncle says come and get them, and I would love to sort them out while my parents are still around.  Not a great pic of a Steen, and not the actual bike.

Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 08:45:39 AM »
Another timeless classic!!  JJ's vintage Italian mini-bike for this Monday - 1971 Benelli Hurricane (restored) - 65cc, two-stroke spinner! Coming up FOR SALE this January at MECUM in Vegas - 😎👍😀

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 07:17:55 PM »
Wow, I had a '67 Kawasaki C2SS which was a TR without the dual rear sprocket setup. Different paint and badge but that's it right there.

My little brother had a 65cc Benelli very like the last one, too.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 08:44:16 PM »
Another timeless classic!!  JJ's vintage Italian mini-bike for this Monday - 1971 Benelli Hurricane (restored) - 65cc, two-stroke spinner! Coming up FOR SALE this January at MECUM in Vegas - 😎👍😀

That's nice, but you'd never have outrun me on my Bridgestone-powered 60cc 3 speed Rockford "Chibi" ... !!

Lannis

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 01:45:38 AM »
Another timeless classic!!  :thumb: :cool: :wink:

Once you got it started! :evil:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2018, 09:32:02 AM »
My uncle has my father's '69 Super Rat race bike with the Ace 100 packed away in his barn.  He also has my mother's '70 or so Steen 100MX with the same engine and the interesting leading link fork.  Anyone remember those?  Uncle says come and get them, and I would love to sort them out while my parents are still around.  Not a great pic of a Steen, and not the actual bike.

I remember those Hodaka powered Steens, and those before them - the earlier 'Taco Bikes'.  Steen was central to the introduction of Go Karts and Mini Bikes on the west coast in the mid-60s or so.  In around 2000 I ran into and was introduced to John Steen in Bahia de Los Angeles, where he was living in Mexico.  An interesting guy, his personal history had big ups and big downs.  I read he had died a few years later.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 09:35:46 AM by Tusayan »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 11:20:07 AM »
Once you got it started! :evil:

It was the B50 500cc that had the grossly undergeared kickstarter that made for hard starting.

If a B44 had a good hot spark, an un-plugged-up pilot jet, 150 pounds of compression, and you understand the compression release and crank position, it's a first-kick starter every time cold, and second kick hot ...

Lannis

Offline Rusty goose

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2018, 02:11:03 PM »
I agree Lannis,

But this unfortunate example apparently was not set up correctly.  Clues to that include; Kick stand nearly folded over and the lug barely hanging on, the starter pawls were chewed up terribly, teeth ground flat on the starter quadrant and the outside timing cover had cracks through the alloy case around the kick starter from so much stress and slop.  Somebody was jumping up and down on this poor thing ALOT while on its side stand.  What appears to be sweat, saliva, tears and blood stains on the tank! :wink:

I hope to have it a little better dialed in.
Rusty
" A situation is never so bad that it can't get just a little bit worse."

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2018, 03:03:18 PM »
I agree Lannis,

But this unfortunate example apparently was not set up correctly.  Clues to that include; Kick stand nearly folded over and the lug barely hanging on, the starter pawls were chewed up terribly, teeth ground flat on the starter quadrant and the outside timing cover had cracks through the alloy case around the kick starter from so much stress and slop.  Somebody was jumping up and down on this poor thing ALOT while on its side stand.  What appears to be sweat, saliva, tears and blood stains on the tank! :wink:

I hope to have it a little better dialed in.

It's like the old deer-hunting saying:

"If you hear one shot, that's one deer.   Two shots, maybe one deer.   Three shots, no deer."

Like kicking over an old brit.   If it hasn't started in one or two kicks, it MIGHT start in three.

More than that, and you're probably wasting your time kicking, and better off spending the blood sweat tears and spittle working on the bike than just bashing the kickstart lever!

Lannis

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here