Author Topic: Think motorcycling is dangerous?  (Read 1210 times)

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
Think motorcycling is dangerous?
« on: November 05, 2018, 06:05:35 PM »
Of course it is, but to see danger in the extreme, go see the movie 'Free Solo." It is about Alex Honnold climbing El Capitan in Yosemite without any safety gear. But more than that, it is about obsession, discipline, dedication, and the quest for perfection.

Rich A

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Think motorcycling is dangerous?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 06:30:42 PM »
Watched it twice last week...sort of.  Once on Friday afternoon where we missed the first 20 minutes (an issue involving being surrounded by Pittsburgh Police).   And the second full screening on Saturday.   I'd probably go again if I could talk someone into going with me..   :bow:   
Anyway...  I've been following Alex for a while now, and makes me nerveous everytime I watch him climbing.   
There are a few Youtube vids that document the film makers decisions and fears.

It's been stated that his free solo of El Cap is the greatest athletic achivement ever.   I believe it! 

*Been watching footage of Tommy Calwell climbing the Dawn Wall.   Watch Tommy's commentary on TED for some pretty wild stuff.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 10:08:10 PM by rdbandkab »

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 06:47:55 AM »
Absolutely do NOT miss this on the BIG screen and sit up close....I agree it's one of the greatest athletic achievements ever....

3000 foot vertical climb in 4 hours with no expectations of safety...one slip and dead.

Although what Reinholdt Messner has done free solo in the dead zone looks even more amazing, but no photos-so it didn't happen...... :popcorn:
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 07:08:52 AM »
I like the analogy on free soloing:   It's like being in the Olympics and having to get the gold medal or die.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 07:08:52 AM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 08:00:55 AM »
as Hemingway would say, it's a sport, not a mere game.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 11:12:59 AM »
It's teed up in the queue on Apple TV...missed it here on the big screen in town due to other commitments. 

Honnold is incredible, if you enjoy rock climbing, also check out videos from Chris Sharma...simply out of this world climbing.

A few years ago I was at Mountain Film Festival in Telluride, both of these guys, along with Dean Potter (who died Base jumping in Yosemite a couple of years ago), and Lynn Hall (best woman climber ever) were all there, doing great presentations and slide shows.  Super friendly, down to earth just cool guys.  Amazingly skilled and gutsy!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 10:22:14 AM »
I like the analogy on free soloing:   It's like being in the Olympics and having to get the gold medal or die.

Heck of an analogy... because gravity is somewhat... unforgiving.

I will have to watch this movie.
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here